Additives for Creosote

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blowncrewcab

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Does anybody put additives in their Air tight woodstove to help control creosote? I Do, During the burning season I cant really tell if it's working. When the stove has been cool for a few weeks the creosote will flake off leaving my once sticky black stainless chimney cap looking shiney & Silver again. I have heard of throwing aluminum cans in (I couldn't tell if they worked either)
Was wondering what others did (if anything :) )

Rutland makes a product for that in a powder form that you throw into the fire once a month to control creosote.... it works too.

ive used the rutland creasote remover for the past 2 yrs,and found it works good.it does dry it up and makes it flake off the liner of the chimney real easy. run the brush down it and its clean. the pipes it works good on,but the crap settles on the bottom of the pipe,but cleanout is easy.

I'm using the Rutland Product as well, It does seem to work. Not all my wood is as dry as I'd like it to be.

A D-cell battery. For real. Isn't that like an explosion hazard or something?

I have never seen one explode, I don't think the battery is the best route but the aluminum can won't hurt anything, as long as you drink the beverage before tossing it in.

Back