Adjusting a Stihl 029 Intelli Carb after a Muffler Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ri chevy

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I tried searching, but could not find anything related to this specific question. I have an older Stihl 029 Farm Boss that has been very good to me throughout the years.

Please no Stihl bashing, and keep it related to the question at point. Thank you.

My question is about the "intelli carb" on the saw. Does this carb override any adjustments that are made to the H and L screws? Is this "intelli carb" something like the M-tronic type of carb? Just curious, as I do not want to have any unforeseen issues with this saw. Thank you in advance for your educated responses.

You will adjust it like any other carb. The Intelli part just compensates for a dirty air filter. It won't adjust the jetting like the "smart" carbs will.

Intellicarb means that the fuel metering chamber is vented to the inside of the air filter, instead of the ambient atmosphere. As the air filter becomes restricted with sawdust, the decreasing pressure (vacuum increase) in the air filter is "seen" by the metering chamber effectively leaning out the mixture ever so slightly. In my experience, carburetors that are vented in that fashion are a little less sensitive to changing conditions than the standard outside vent. Adjust your H needle with a clean air filter, at your intended temperature, and altitude, you'll be good to go!

Back