Advice about first splitter purchase?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
066blaster,

If you have the original spark plug in yours change it to a new one and different brand.
That plug that came with the briggs engine is the reason for the tough cold starts.

I have the exact same splitter and engine and had the same problem with cold starts.
I put an (champion easy start) plug in and one or two pulls on very cold days and it's going.

Another good tip for the briggs engine is to split until you run out of gas.
Leaving gas in the carb on the briggs also makes for more difficult starts and a gummed out carb pretty fast.

I want to add a little more about the Asheville area when it comes to firewood. Lots of folks in that area are buying OWB. Most OWB's will take longer firewood lengths than wood stoves and fireplaces. Most of the homeowner models, TSC, Home Depot, Lowes, Huskey splitters, ect, only have a 24in stroke. OWB owners want longer wood, but often have to settle for 24in or shorter splits. Personally, I dont think I would like trying to throw a long heavy split into a stove, but long wood burns longer than short wood. I know there are businesses that want 4ft splits, Grove Park Inn is one such place and they pay a premium for their wood. The person I mentioned out at Enka had a splitter special built just to handle 4ft wood. Options are wide open in Asheville if you want to do business in that area. I dont recommend you go out and buy a 48in stroke splitter, (unless you can secure a binding contract with buyers of that size wood), but suggest you dont limit yourself to a 24 in stroke either. The 30in stroke Northern splitter gives you more options on lenghts than most of the others that have been mentioned. It does have its drawbacks, such as the 16gmp pump. Add a log lift and its out of your proposed budget. With your budget, about anything you purchase is going to be a compromise between what you can afford and what you need. I would venture to guess just about every brand already mentioned will do very well for a homeowner and even a small firewood business. Sales of firewood in your area are not going to be a problem, production will be your limiting factor. If you plan to grow your business, plan for the future now with your first purchase. If you just want side money, about any home owner model will do.

Speed of production is how you make money. A splitter with fast cycle times is all well and good, but fast cycles doesnt neccesary translate into fast production. A 4 way wedge will double production with the same cycle speed. Muiltiple split wedges can produce more wood with slower cycle times than single split wedges. Multiple splits require more power. More power cost more money, but you can recoupe the money faster thru increased production. And multiple split wedges have another down side, you endup with more spinters and chips, but bag those small pieces and they can be sold as fire starter material, or given to customers with each load of firewood to use as a fire starter. Or You can burn them to stay warm when your splitting your wood in the winter time.

066blaster,

If you have the original spark plug in yours change it to a new one and different brand.
That plug that came with the briggs engine is the reason for the tough cold starts.

I have the exact same splitter and engine and had the same problem with cold starts.
I put an (champion easy start) plug in and one or two pulls on very cold days and it's going.

Another good tip for the briggs engine is to split until you run out of gas.
Leaving gas in the carb on the briggs also makes for more difficult starts and a gummed out carb pretty fast.
I will try that have to pull it 20 times to get it to start when it's cold. My arms shot before I start splitting,.

066blaster,

LOL. I had the same experience with it on cold days, start splitting or start kicking the splitter.
The perfect machine to have a heart attack before you begin splitting.
Real cold days was more of heart attack than splitting.

Other than the funky original plug it came with it's really quite a nice splitter.
New plug will make you put away your heavy kicking boots and start to like the splitter again on even real cold days. :)

And multiple split wedges have another down side, you endup with more spinters and chips, but bag those small pieces and they can be sold as fire starter material, or given to customers with each load of firewood to use as a fire starter..

I've gotten more repeat business because I gave them a box of splitter turds....Free box from the liquor store, fill it with stuff I'd just toss in the firepit out back anyway and before you know it, I'm one up one the next guy on CL.

Thanks! Looking to sell, so planning on splitting several cords a month. Not sure what the demand for firewood is here in Asheville,NC but I work for a small tree service so I imagine the wood will keep coming at me at a pretty fast pace.

Welcome aboard (again!) I have family in the Asheville area and lived in Weaverville for about 5 years back in the 90's. Gonna stop in and see my sister and her husband near Weaverville in June while down fishing the Outer Banks with my brothers. Work took me away from the area but it will always be our favorite!

I don't have an opinion worth sharing on a splitter, as I split only for myself and up until last summer, split my 2 cords/yr. all by hand. I bought a used one for a deal and am not too concerned with the things a seller would have to consider. I scrounge and burn, mainly because we enjoy it.

Good luck with your new venture!

I want to add a little more about the Asheville area when it comes to firewood. Lots of folks in that area are buying OWB. Most OWB's will take longer firewood lengths than wood stoves and fireplaces. Most of the homeowner models, TSC, Home Depot, Lowes, Huskey splitters, ect, only have a 24in stroke. OWB owners want longer wood, but often have to settle for 24in or shorter splits. Personally, I dont think I would like trying to throw a long heavy split into a stove, but long wood burns longer than short wood. I know there are businesses that want 4ft splits, Grove Park Inn is one such place and they pay a premium for their wood. The person I mentioned out at Enka had a splitter special built just to handle 4ft wood. Options are wide open in Asheville if you want to do business in that area. I dont recommend you go out and buy a 48in stroke splitter, (unless you can secure a binding contract with buyers of that size wood), but suggest you dont limit yourself to a 24 in stroke either. The 30in stroke Northern splitter gives you more options on lenghts than most of the others that have been mentioned. It does have its drawbacks, such as the 16gmp pump. Add a log lift and its out of your proposed budget. With your budget, about anything you purchase is going to be a compromise between what you can afford and what you need. I would venture to guess just about every brand already mentioned will do very well for a homeowner and even a small firewood business. Sales of firewood in your area are not going to be a problem, production will be your limiting factor. If you plan to grow your business, plan for the future now with your first purchase. If you just want side money, about any home owner model will do.

Speed of production is how you make money. A splitter with fast cycle times is all well and good, but fast cycles doesnt neccesary translate into fast production. A 4 way wedge will double production with the same cycle speed. Muiltiple split wedges can produce more wood with slower cycle times than single split wedges. Multiple splits require more power. More power cost more money, but you can recoupe the money faster thru increased production. And multiple split wedges have another down side, you endup with more spinters and chips, but bag those small pieces and they can be sold as fire starter material, or given to customers with each load of firewood to use as a fire starter. Or You can burn them to stay warm when your splitting your wood in the winter time.
Going to be checking out Northern's splitters in a few hours. They have flawless reviews and just about everything I could want for the price.

Going to be checking out Northern's splitters in a few hours. They have flawless reviews and just about everything I could want for the price.
Before you buy, let me know what you find at the Asheville store. I am in Rockhill Sc right now and there is a Northerns right across the street. I can check out their inventory for you. They might have something leftover on sale. Temps are really warming up down here and I would guess firewood sales, as well as splitter sales have slowed down quite a bit.

As you can see in my avatar I have a homemade hydraulic splitter which has a cycle time of 8.8 sec. I have a 21" high 4-way wedge which allows me to split 2 - 8" or small rounds or single larger rounds. It has a log lift & out-feed tables. It works great & a lot of folks are impressed with it. With this said;

This past weekend I was at a charity cut with 2 Super Splitters & one hydraulic splitter. The real gnarly pieces went to the hydraulic splitter the other pieces to the Super splitters. I was very impressed with the Super Splitters! We were cutting up tree tops & with a 4 sec cycle time, the Super Splitters were great. I believe they sell in the neighborhood of $2,500. I really haven't priced one. Unless you are planning on doing a lot of gnarly chunks of wood, I would encourage you check out a Super Splitter before buying you splitter.

I believe in protecting your back. If you do go with a hydraulic splitter, as previously recommended, dedicated horizontal, wedge on the beam not the cylinder, log lift, & out feed table.

Well, I watched the video so will give my 2cents worth. For a home owner, in no hurry, those little electric splitter work fine, I guess. But I cant see where one of those little electric jobs would be useful to someone trying to make production firewood for sale. The time it took fo the electric splitter to finish one round, My hydraulic splitter would have split that whole table worth of wood. In fact, by the time the table was loaded, my hydraulic splitter would have had all that wood split ready to sell. Its not a question of whether the electric splitter will split wood, it did, but it is a question of speed and that little splitter would starve a person to death trying to split wood for sale. Not to metion the fact every round had to be handled multiple times to completely spit the round to usable size.

I have the Northern tool (North Star) 37 ton with 4-way wedge (splits 3x faster) and honda GX..starts first pull every time...sips fuel and I've split @100 cords in the last year with it. I really like it got it on sale for 1899 last Jan. (2013). Russ

Back