Advice for new climber please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman Mark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, just bought a new rope and spur 'combo' climbing kit for myself for X-Mas. Im new to climbing although I've worked as a "groundie" occaissionally with my arborist buddy. He's been teaching me a bit but I still havent climbed ( just waiting for the kit to arrive in the mail ). Now...I'm 40 yeras old, in great shape and have made a living running saws for about 20 years now doing everything from clearcut logging, silviculture, etc.... to tree planting so I have plenty of experience felling trees/running saws, etc..etc...but I have NO experience climbing. Im looking for some advice and tips on where to begin with my climbing ??? What to learn first,second, third etc.. I'll mostly be helping with removals but for the time being I'll be happy if I can just use spurs to get half way up a tree to put a rope on it to help pull it over occaisionally. This isnt something Ill be doing "full time" also. Thanks in advance !

First, you need to buy this.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Books_2/Tree-Climbers-Companion-English

I recommend starting off without spurs or they can end up becoming a crutch for you in the future. Learn how to use your rope to move around the tree, it will make you much more comfortable with your gear in the long run. Plus, you can then climb anything. Go to a park, woods, anywhere, toss a line and get to practicing. Only bring the spurs in once you trust your saddle and rope.

Also, There's plenty of threads like this with plenty of info that have already been started. USE the search function and please refrain from posting newbie questions in the commercial forum, they belong in Arborist 101.

I can sit here and rewrite all the books I have read to you but that is no replacement for real world hands on. 1 know all of the knots inside and out. 2 learn to recognize danger trees ones that will kill you. It is one thing to tip trees at the base but when aloft things can get hairy with a quickness i.e. rotten or weak upper structure. 3 low and slow, climb a firewood tree several times to get the hang of it with your buddy watching. Practice, practice, and more practice. Every tree is practice. Good luck and happy climbing. Oh and one more thing don't forget to stop and take in the view. That is something for climbers only.

I recommend starting off without spurs or they can end up becoming a crutch for you in the future. Learn how to use your rope to move around the tree, it will make you much more comfortable with your gear in the long run. Plus, you can then climb anything. Go to a park, woods, anywhere, toss a line and get to practicing. Only bring the spurs in once you trust your saddle and rope.

That's horrible advice blakes. I honestly wish a few more guys would learn how to become proficient on spikes-now days everyone seems to be able to trim, but finding someone who can do a removal on spikes is impossible. I'm getting tired of watching these rope climbers farting around on stems, because they think like you, that spikes can become a crutch. Come on, instead of just throwing out spikes as evil, maybe people should realize that they are a tool like any other, not the best thing for every job, but on the right job they make life easier.
Besides, this guy said he's mostly helping on removals.

That's horrible advice blakes. I honestly wish a few more guys would learn how to become proficient on spikes-now days everyone seems to be able to trim, but finding someone who can do a removal on spikes is impossible. I'm getting tired of watching these rope climbers farting around on stems, because they think like you, that spikes can become a crutch. Come on, instead of just throwing out spikes as evil, maybe people should realize that they are a tool like any other, not the best thing for every job, but on the right job they make life easier.

I thought it was pretty good advice actually. Maybe not the best for what the op is trying to do, but good advice in general for training a new climber. Pruning spikeless, with a handsaw, is imo, the best way to get the feel for things (body positioning for a cut, etc.). Then maybe move up to spikes and chainsaw, on say a simple conifer takedown.

First, you need to buy this.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Books_2/Tree-Climbers-Companion-English

Also, There's plenty of threads like this with plenty of info that have already been started. USE the search function and please refrain from posting newbie questions in the commercial forum, they belong in Arborist 101.

:agree2:

Great advice, Chris. Beowulf must be drunk again.......:D

If the Poster actually searches and reads some of the many identical threads on here, I'd be suprised, and impressed.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty good advice actually. Maybe not the best for what the op is trying to do, but good advice in general for training a new climber. Pruning spikeless, with a handsaw, is imo, the best way to get the feel for things (body positioning for a cut, etc.). Then maybe move up to spikes and chainsaw, on say a simple conifer takedown.

I agree...I wish someone would have made me learn to trim well without spikes before the big removals. Climbing without spikes will drastically improve your balance and core strength. But a good healthy dose of both will serve you well.

I think a climber that has it in his blood will climb spikes or no spikes and be proficient at both. Now just find someone that climbs because he has the balls and unquenchable hunger for it and not because it seems like a cool thing to do.

I climbed spikes only for 15 out of my 18 years. Got on 11mm rope and now work SRT off of a Unicender among other things. It didn't phase me either way, see it's the passion that matters.

So I don't care how you learn just learn it all and get to it.

Some real good advice here. I think the knots are number and should be able to tie them blindfolded in a timely manner. Number two start off in a 20 or 30 footer with a hand saw and also a small take down with spurs. Slow and steady will get you Ready!! Voila..:agree2:

Hear Hear! Just get it on ...

... a climber that has it in his blood will climb spikes or no spikes and be proficient at both. Now just find someone that climbs because he has the balls and unquenchable hunger for it ... it's the passion that matters.

So I don't care how you learn just learn it all and get to it.

Climbing a tree with a good set of gaffs is easier than with a large set of balls. Someone I'm teaching I'll put in a small tree with spikes and a handsaw. It's a confidence builder. Somewhere in the video archives I have a Nephew in his first tree. It's pretty hilarious if I do say so myself.

Purchase and become proficent with a throwline. Its the first tool out of the truck on most jobs. No need to spike a tree to set a pull line. Even when doing a removal its some times easier to have a climbing line set from the ground, then to spike to the top of an 80 foot tree to set your climbing line.

We're in a bit different worlds Beowulf and you very rightly have a grudge against the school trained keyboard climbers that sign up with your company. Here, my company is the only one that trims without spikes. The majority of "climbers" near me don't have a clue how to climb without their spurs, hence the "crutch" comment. I'm not throwing out spikes as evil, in all honesty, I'm much better on gaffs than I am with prunes, I , like you look at them like any other tool in the box. There are times they help, and times they're unnecessary. From my personal experience of being trained on gaffs and being taught that my rope was mainly for rappelling I regret that I had not learned to rope climb first.

Hi guys, just bought a new rope and spur 'combo' climbing kit for myself for X-Mas. Im new to climbing although I've worked as a "groundie" occaissionally with my arborist buddy. He's been teaching me a bit but I still havent climbed ( just waiting for the kit to arrive in the mail ). Now...I'm 40 yeras old, in great shape and have made a living running saws for about 20 years now doing everything from clearcut logging, silviculture, etc.... to tree planting so I have plenty of experience felling trees/running saws, etc..etc...but I have NO experience climbing. Im looking for some advice and tips on where to begin with my climbing ??? What to learn first,second, third etc.. I'll mostly be helping with removals but for the time being I'll be happy if I can just use spurs to get half way up a tree to put a rope on it to help pull it over occaisionally. This isnt something Ill be doing "full time" also. Thanks in advance !
best advice i have is cut it off at ground level...

The Op seemed to be making the case it would be removals, he said so, so MDS, Beowulf makes sense.
Jeff ;)

Learn your knots. KNOW THEM. Learn to trust them on small trims or just climbing small trees for fun. Practice. Use that throw bag too! When u get the chance to spur a tree I would do it! Assuming of course u know your knots. So anytime you are around a tree thats gonna be cut down , if u have the time, stick a spur in her. Do your spurless climbing whenever you can. Just practice those knots and go climb! Keep a 5 foot piece of rope around to practice with. When you can tie a blakes hitch while you are watching TV with some kids arguing and a women talkn into your ear demanding you pay attention to HER and u can get the knot tied right n untied n tied right again then u know u are making some progress.:biggrinbounce2:

Bravo I agree. Im a newbee myself in the tree biz but Im 31 years old and Ive been working in the trucking and excavating biz meself for more years than I care for the family biz and I am very much learned in the ways of an old tart like this. My father ran a tree crew in the late 70s into the early 80s and he has been giving me little tid bitts along the way about climbing and rigging and the first thing he has stressed is getting used to the spikes and the ballance and manuvers involved. sounds like this guy that has much to say about nothing is an apple tree pruner.:newbie:

Bravo I agree. Im a newbee myself in the tree biz but Im 31 years old and Ive been working in the trucking and excavating biz meself for more years than I care for the family biz and I am very much learned in the ways of an old tart like this. My father ran a tree crew in the late 70s into the early 80s and he has been giving me little tid bitts along the way about climbing and rigging and the first thing he has stressed is getting used to the spikes and the ballance and manuvers involved. sounds like this guy that has much to say about nothing is an apple tree pruner.:newbie:

:notrolls2:

and I bet if you pruned an apple tree it would die, and the HO would never see another apple in his yard. plus you would probably charge a grand to remove the tree YOU killed. :hmm3grin2orange:

:notrolls2:

and I bet if you pruned an apple tree it would die, and the HO would never see another apple in his yard. plus you would probably charge a grand to remove the tree YOU killed. :hmm3grin2orange:

Ha ha thats some good s@#$ tree slayer depending on the HO Id have to say and you would probabley agree hell ya I wood!:taped:

Back