Advice on a hung-up blowdown tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not true, I only have a little 2 1/2 ton army truck:msp_tongue:Mine only weighs 14,000 lbs, a five ton is 26,000lbs. However I do believe depending on size of tree, ground and tractioin available, that you could get it done with a 4wd truck. Without a pic its hard to say.

Details :laugh:

Oh holy heck, your truck with a winch (and maybe an A-frame) would be about the ultimate firewood collection vehicle. Maybe a bit slow but it would pretty much get anything down you could want to get down, or haul anything up a hill you want to haul up :D

Thanks for all the replies. As I stated in the first post, I will rope it up and pull first. Pending that is when I may need to cut free.

Truck is an 86 F250 so she may earn her keep today for another year ( constantly thinking of selling it and using the Subie & trailer for these type of outings. )

If you are still hung up and believe that the root ball will want to stand up, here is how I would make the cuts since the top side will want to come down and the stump side will want to go up if the root ball stands up as expected. I would pick a spot low on the stem (close to the stump side but far enough away that you won’t get hit by the root ball if it falls forward, do a conventional face cut on the top side, a Humboldt face cut on the bottom side, both with the straight cuts perpendicular to the stem and in line with each other, and both as deep as you dare to go but leaving enough of a hinge to support the tree, then standing on the safest side of the tree and with an exit path cleared, begin to cut the hinge as quick as you can down your straight cut until you have either completely cut the hinge or both ends begin to move the same direction (probably won't). If the latter happens, pull out and let the stem settle - if the ends move in a direction that will pinch you, then finish your cut from the side that is opening up. Be careful. And remember that you have to watch both ends of the tree as either one (or both) can get you. Before I forget, have a spare saw or two handy as it is easy to get pinched no matter how careful or fast you are. Ron

You all forgot the most important thing. Have a buddy, wife, child... someone reliable close by with 9 and 1 punched in on the cellphone so there only 1 away from having the ambulance there just in-case the unforeseen happens.

I'm home, safe and sound with about half a cord to show for 3 hours work. Tree was stuck on a limb only 4" diameter but wouldn't pull with come- along. Ended up freeing it by cutting the limb it was hung up on just enough so it started cracking, then two good tugs while everyone was out of harm's way and down she came.

Best part is the homeowner helped and loaded me while I cut. Another 3 cords to get there, but for a few I think I've got him convinced the rent a cherry picker and we will tackle it once the weather gets colder.

If it was at my house it would have been tractor work, but I don't have trailer big enough to haul it..... Some day.... Damn you AS!

Latest posts

Back