Advice on a hung-up blowdown tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is a new one for me. Got a 14" Oak that might be 40' tall that came over in a storm. It is hung up (canopy) in a nearby pine with the roots still intact. The rootball that has come out of the ground is pretty small, so no chances of it falling on me (let's say 3' diameter.) It might be at a 35degree angle from the ground, with the entanglement a good 25' up.

I'm going to try and rope it up high and pull it down with a come-along and then with the truck. If it stays hung up, then I'm going to need to fell it in place.

I see opposing forces : towards the roots it is pulling toward the roots and up; at the top it is pushing up as well. So defining the tension/ compression sides isn't so straightforward - it's actually got an equilibrium point somewhere in there.

My gut says below shoulder height make an open face notch top side, 1/4-1/3 deep. Follow that with an undercut perpendicular to ground. Watch that cut for when she starts to go.

What no picture? 10 lashes with a wet noddle for you sir. Can't help you with the technical question but good luck getting that tree to the ground.

What no picture? 10 lashes with a wet noddle for you sir. Can't help you with the technical question but good luck getting that tree to the ground.

This may actually get me 20....

hungup_tree.png

Oh come on now :msp_tongue: We can't be to brutal to him :hmm3grin2orange:

How about looping a strap over it as high as you can get safely, then use a come-along to pull the tree from the side, pulling away from the hang-up so it will fall to the ground..... :msp_confused:

Pics would be nice.
For me most of the time on smaller hung up trees I will fence post them down at a comfortable saw height. I would probably cut down from the top slowly until I feel a little pressure (pinch force) on the bar, then cut up from the bottom to meet the top cut. You can also rig the tree beforehand then dont cut it completely off with the bottom cut and pull to break it. One other important thing to remember about hung trees is that not only will they have a tendency to roll loose when cut, but also may want to spring back towards the stump when cut due to the tension of the top. Good luck and be safe.

Depending on what kind of truck you have, I would make a cut at an angle part way through the tree leaving a hinge, then back the truck up and give it a pull. Then just pull it to where you need it.

i would just do what you diagramed but i agree make the cut perpendicular to the tree not the ground. ive had to cut many trees like time from storms at my parents place. its how my dad taught me. dunno if its right or not but im still breathing as is he haha.

Also take a long look at the top to make sure you're pretty confident it's not going to roll.

Make your cuts relative to the tree, not the ground.

Start as low on the tree as is safe (i.e. not standing on the root ball).

I would start by making a tentative perpendicular cut on the top of the trunk. See if she wants to open up or pinch. If it wants to pinch, convert it to a notch. If she opens a smidge, you know to make a notch on the bottom.

"walk it down" or what Turkeyslayer calls fence posting -- chunk the trunk. I usually cut as long as practical on each step (i.e. longer the 16" logs...if I could make 4' I do). Each time the tree gets shorter and more vertical. Finish it off with a chain/tow straps/ bull rope to pull it over.

If you have the access for the truck, another option is first cut the ball free. Starting at an when you pull will be most effective ("twitching" to start a load uses torque to get things moving, and once moving is easier to pull; when you pull straight back it's a dead load and the butt is likely trying to dig into the ground too.) Once it's moving you can straighten out if you need too to avoid other stuff with the truck. Of course you'll also want the truck loaded with wood for weight.

(I like Excaliber's idea too of letting the truck snap the hinge...but he has a 5 ton army truck to work with, and I don't know what size hinge my little Ranger could snap :) )

Or you could do it "Uncle Moustache Style" (not to be confused with Gangnam Style):

Get underneath with the most powerful saw you have, and cut straight through as fast as you can. Be sure and set up a couple video cameras to post on YouTube.

(In other words, I don't have any advice to offer, so I'll make my usual smart-alec remark, and hope to learn something from the rest of y'all.) :clap::clap:

Took one down today that was very similar to that one. I cut the rootball off as low as I could. I cut down from the top and put wedges in to keep it from closing up. Once it was off the rootball, I hooked my strap to it with the choker set to the far side of the log( to make the log roll before it started to move). Hooked up to the strap with my truck in 4 wheel low and took off at a right angle to the tree. Pulled it right out of there! Easy Peasy.

Ted

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. As I stated in the first post, I will rope it up and pull first. Pending that is when I may need to cut free.

Truck is an 86 F250 so she may earn her keep today for another year ( constantly thinking of selling it and using the Subie & trailer for these type of outings. )

Hello,
The best tool for a hung-up tree is a skid steer !!!!! If I didn't have mine, I would have been screwed several times !!!!!!! Just throw a cable around the tree and let the beast pull it out !!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

Hello,
The best tool for a hung-up tree is a skid steer !!!!! If I didn't have mine, I would have been screwed several times !!!!!!! Just throw a cable around the tree and let the beast pull it out !!!!!!!

Henry and Wanda

I agree mostly with this. I use mine a LOT for this type of thing, but one has to be careful doing that. Always, always keep your bucket between you and whatever you are pulling on. I had about a 15" oak I was pulling down, and when it came loose, it also sprang back at me. If the bucket had not been in the air enough to protect the cage opening, that thing would have pinned me to the back of the seat. As it was, it shoved the entire bobcat back about 3 feet! Many times, that tree will weigh as much or nearly as much as the bobcat! At least pull from the side or at an angle, not direct inline with the trunk.

Ted

(I like Excaliber's idea too of letting the truck snap the hinge...but he has a 5 ton army truck to work with, and I don't know what size hinge my little Ranger could snap :) )

Not true, I only have a little 2 1/2 ton army truck:msp_tongue:Mine only weighs 14,000 lbs, a five ton is 26,000lbs. However I do believe depending on size of tree, ground and tractioin available, that you could get it done with a 4wd truck. Without a pic its hard to say.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Hello,

Henry and Wanda

i agree but most guys dont have one...

Back