advice on a new/used chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treekutters

Reaction score
i have a 14'' homelite 33cc chainsaw that is lacking on power. i have about 5 trees mostly dead ones that i need to cut down they are roughly 20'' in diameter pine trees. i was wondering what would be a good chainsaw for my my budget for a used or new chainsaw would be 300.00. i have found several used McCulloch 610s around my area for around 125.00 and i found a new 60cc 22" generic chainsaw on ebay for 140.00 ... i was wondering what one would be the best choice. or should i look for a used stihl if so what model or cc's should i look for. any info would be greatly appreciated!

If you buy a Stihl, buy one with a white handle. If you buy a Husky, get one with XP in the model number. 60cc - 70cc with a 20" bar will put a smile on your face every time you use the saw. Shop around for a good buy.

okay thank you i will do a little more research, thank you Rick i will probably get back to you on the ms chainsaw, on a used stihl 038 magnum what does everyone think of those? would around 200 seem like a good price?

Is the cutting and processing of the 5 <= 20" pines all you need? Will you be needing the saw for regular use after that? What's your comfort level with saw repair. More important, what's your experience with operating powerful, pro saws? Most important, do you know how to safely fall trees? This sounds jerky, bit this situation is more complicated than "what saw".

If these are your only trees, they can't reach anything important, and u'r comfortable falling, go rent a saw and cut em up. If you will have continued/frequent need of a saw which will put a lot of 20" wood on the ground, and are comfortable with saw repair, pick up a used 357-372 husky or 362-440 stihl.

If you'll have continued need for a saw, but are not comfortable with repair, get a new 450 or ms250, prolly the cheapest options that could get it done.

If the trees could possibly hit something important, or you are not experienced in falling trees, probably just keep the craftsman and hire somebody to do it for you.

Welcome to the site, keep asking questions, stay off the chainsaw forum lest you catch CAD!

Im pretty good at falling trees. The trees that need to come down arent by anything worth value. As for use with pro models I have limited expierence. But I would like to step up to something that can be easily rebuilt/ worked on. Would a 036 non pro model be still considered a pro saw?

Im pretty good at falling trees. The trees that need to come down arent by anything worth value. As for use with pro models I have limited expierence. But I would like to step up to something that can be easily rebuilt/ worked on. Would a 036 non pro model be still considered a pro saw?

I think a decompression valve is the only real difference in the Pro model. It's a good proven saw, and basically the same as the 361 i recommended earlier. Be careful, these are not "big" saws, but they will kick and jump much harder than a 33cc craftsman.

Not everyone needs a pro saw. Sounds to me like you would be well served with a Stihl 290 or Husky 455. A newer 50cc pro saw would do what you need. If you are not going to need anything past what you have, rent a Makita from your local home depot. There is a lot of "Tim Allen" mentality around here. Just keep in mind need vs want and spend what you are comfortable spending.

where are you located in MI? I might be able to add to your purchase choices.
As a daily CL searcher I can tell you the area I'm in does not often have anything to offer...

okay thank you i will do a little more research, thank you Rick i will probably get back to you on the ms chainsaw, on a used stihl 038 magnum what does everyone think of those? would around 200 seem like a good price?

I had 038 super, bought for 200, used it 4 a while, 20-24" softwood, 28" skip, & sold again 4 200. good saw, no complaints, im just a husky guy tho, & stole a new 570 4 less than 1/2 price... would have another if it came my way. not sure diff on mag/super.

I personally would find a nice 3400/3700 Poulan for less than $100 and spend the rest on some PPE. No way you will be disappointed.

I personally would find a nice 3400/3700 Poulan for less than $100 and spend the rest on some PPE. No way you will be disappointed.

Yep. Those old poulans are just constantly, what I see around here anyway, the most used cut for the buck. Or like above, a brand new PP5020av and still have a hundred left over for chaps, etc.

Back