Advice on best 36" wide self-propelled stump grinder under 50hp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Vermeer

I bought a new vermeer 372 with the yanmar motor this year. No problems with this machine. Lots of torque. Good cutting teeth. I would buy it again, but with a chip blade and 4 wd.

Im not a fan of the 252 because of how often you have to reposition on bigger stumps. Also the 372 has a shaft drive instead of belt for the cw so there is much less maintenance and almost nothing to grease.

Hey Skinnyd,

Just curious, why do you have to reposition less with the 372 than the 252, the swing arc is only 1" wider on the 372? Does it seem that some other feature lets you reposition less? Or the higher hp for some reason? Let us know.
I do know they look real good sitting in Vermeer's yard. They seem to have a lower center of gravity than the 352 did, at least looks like it. And I do like the 16" depth, that's 3" more than the 252. It is amazing how many stumps, especially for replanting in same spot like a tree well in parking strip, need that extra 2-3" to get them completely out.

How much is a new 372?

Stumper63

If anybody sees a 1635 trac demo or used unit let me know immediately, please! I really want to demo one before I buy but if I can find a used one for the right price, I might just pounce on it.

AP

Vermeer SC372

View attachment 218157View attachment 218158
I was down at the dealership today and saw the Vermeer SC252, SC372, and SC852 sitting next to each other. I thought it made a nice comparison for this forum.

I used to use a rental SC252 trike style. I would never recommend this machine to anyone. They are so prone to tipping and they are tough to move around once you get into the stump grindings.

I have the SC372. It costs around 29k new sticker price.

Thanks for the pic's skinnyd. Do you ever grind without the duals on your 372? Is it ever tippy with the duals? The engine seems to set lower on the 372 than the 352 did.

I used to rarely put on the duals on my triked out 252, except on slopes, but awhile back started using them all the time when possible. Funny, but it seems to grind better/faster. Maybe just makes a more stable platform, not sure.
I personally like the trike wheel, I have to get into so many tight backyard situations that I think I couldn't get the 4 wheel stance into. But then again, it's what I've got.

Did the rental 252 you used have duallys? Maybe it's because I'm the only operator, but never tipped mine in 8 years of grinding full-time, though it's been close a couple times, but probably shouldn't have been there in the first place with any machine.

One of these days maybe I'll have Vermeer bring out the 372 for a look-see. Was the 29K inclusive of the 4WD and blade?

Thanks,

Stumper63

Jeff, we know, DOSKO rocks!

Thanks for the pic's skinnyd. Do you ever grind without the duals on your 372? Is it ever tippy with the duals? The engine seems to set lower on the 372 than the 352 did.

I used to rarely put on the duals on my triked out 252, except on slopes, but awhile back started using them all the time when possible. Funny, but it seems to grind better/faster. Maybe just makes a more stable platform, not sure.
I personally like the trike wheel, I have to get into so many tight backyard situations that I think I couldn't get the 4 wheel stance into. But then again, it's what I've got.

Did the rental 252 you used have duallys? Maybe it's because I'm the only operator, but never tipped mine in 8 years of grinding full-time, though it's been close a couple times, but probably shouldn't have been there in the first place with any machine.

One of these days maybe I'll have Vermeer bring out the 372 for a look-see. Was the 29K inclusive of the 4WD and blade?

Thanks,

Stumper63

Jeff, we know, DOSKO rocks!

In 8 years of grinding, I've never dumped my 252 either and I've never owned a set of duals. Perhaps, folks who use duals get used to the added stability and then forget to be careful when the pull them off and that's when they flip em over. If you're only using singles and always aware of the potential of flipping it over, you just think ahead of where you're going and whether there might be a potential to flip the machine. I often use the cutter head as a counterbalance when driving on a slope or when jumping a curb. it really helps.

AP

So, I'm at a bit of a standstill on the 1635t. I talked to my SD rayco dealer and he doesn't forsee getting a 1635t in stock as they're pretty new into the rayco stuff and only carry the 1625 jr and a towable machine - 1672 or something like that. I also talked with dealers from surrounding and nearby states and nobody has a 1635t in stock and, even if they did, they couldn't sell to me - my dealer would have to acquire the machine and sell it to me (dealer network conflict of interest if they sold to me directly).

So I asked my SD rep to find out if he could get one in - preferably as a demo first but with the idea that, if I like it, i would probably buy it. He said he'd look into it and I don't expect to be seeing one as his interest seems rather lacking. On top of that, I was appalled when he quoted me 'somewhere around $22k for a new machine without trailer'. I've been seeing the same machine advertised for $19750 (new without trailer) in the tree trader. Those machines are on the east coast but it's the same damn machine.

I called the east coast dealership and asked him about selling me one. He said it would be a tricky deal due to the conflict of interest thing and there would also be the issue of warranty work should it arise. he could ship parts but who would do the work he asked? My local dealership would likely tell me where to go if I bought a machine from a dealer elsewhere. I understand that shipping of a machine comes into play but why should a machine in SD cost $3-4k more than a machine on the east coast? How much can a dealer mark up a machine over factory suggested retail and, if I'm having issues with a local dealer for whatever reason, why can't I just go to another dealer? I can buy a chevy from a dealership in another state without getting grief from my local chevy dealer when I bring it into him for service. Why can't an equipment dealership act with the same professionalism? If my local dealer can't find a machine for me and I find one from another dealer at a good price, why shouldn't I be able to just buy it from that guy yet be able to take it to the local dealer for service without getting the cold shoulder? Really seems petty to me.

Darn it, we've really become a nation of entitlement. "I deserve your business and he can't have it" type of BS instead of the free market nation we're supposed to be. I understand the need to have service centers within reasonable range of potential customers but does it really matter which dealership I buy from? If so, why can't my dealer offer the same price the other dealers are offering?

AP (aka 'PO'd in SD')

Last edited:
dual wheels

The wheels only come off the machine to make it through the gate, and go back on after its through. It is stable enough if you know what you're doing, but you have to keep in mind that employees will never care for your equipment like the owner will.

29k for a base SC372. No chip blade or 4x4. That said, I would get those options on another machine. I've never gotten stuck, but 4x4 would be nice. Sometimes the wheels have slipped, but you can use the cutter head to lift the machine off the ground and move it over 6 inches to a non rutted spot.

In 8 years of grinding, I've never dumped my 252 either and I've never owned a set of duals. Perhaps, folks who use duals get used to the added stability and then forget to be careful when the pull them off and that's when they flip em over. If you're only using singles and always aware of the potential of flipping it over, you just think ahead of where you're going and whether there might be a potential to flip the machine. I often use the cutter head as a counterbalance when driving on a slope or when jumping a curb. it really helps.

AP

I dumped mine one time, no damage to the machine just my ego LOL..like u say the trick is to swing the grinder head to the up hill side of machine, really works, found out the hard way..i have dual wheel setup ordered should be in any day now, will probably leave them on full time unless i have a gate to go thru..

Bob..:cheers:

So, I'm at a bit of a standstill on the 1635t. I talked to my SD rayco dealer and he doesn't forsee getting a 1635t in stock as they're pretty new into the rayco stuff and only carry the 1625 jr and a towable machine - 1672 or something like that. I also talked with dealers from surrounding and nearby states and nobody has a 1635t in stock and, even if they did, they couldn't sell to me - my dealer would have to acquire the machine and sell it to me (dealer network conflict of interest if they sold to me directly).

So I asked my SD rep to find out if he could get one in - preferably as a demo first but with the idea that, if I like it, i would probably buy it. He said he'd look into it and I don't expect to be seeing one as his interest seems rather lacking. On top of that, I was appalled when he quoted me 'somewhere around $22k for a new machine without trailer'. I've been seeing the same machine advertised for $19750 (new without trailer) in the tree trader. Those machines are on the east coast but it's the same damn machine.

I called the east coast dealership and asked him about selling me one. He said it would be a tricky deal due to the conflict of interest thing and there would also be the issue of warranty work should it arise. he could ship parts but who would do the work he asked? My local dealership would likely tell me where to go if I bought a machine from a dealer elsewhere. I understand that shipping of a machine comes into play but why should a machine in SD cost $3-4k more than a machine on the east coast? How much can a dealer mark up a machine over factory suggested retail and, if I'm having issues with a local dealer for whatever reason, why can't I just go to another dealer? I can buy a chevy from a dealership in another state without getting grief from my local chevy dealer when I bring it into him for service. Why can't an equipment dealership act with the same professionalism? If my local dealer can't find a machine for me and I find one from another dealer at a good price, why shouldn't I be able to just buy it from that guy yet be able to take it to the local dealer for service without getting the cold shoulder? Really seems petty to me.

Darn it, we've really become a nation of entitlement. "I deserve your business and he can't have it" type of BS instead of the free market nation we're supposed to be. I understand the need to have service centers within reasonable range of potential customers but does it really matter which dealership I buy from? If so, why can't my dealer offer the same price the other dealers are offering?

AP (aka 'PO'd in SD')

wow Matt can't believe your having such a hard time finding that machine and the circumstances around it. If you want I got Rayco Ron set in my contacts, could give him a call and see if he could be of any help. When it comes to Rayco stump grinders he is the man to talk to

AP (aka 'PO'd in SD')

That sucks .Have you thought about just comeing right out and tell the local guy that you would buy a machine from him ,but let him know that you know what they sell for elsewhere?
I think they would have to do warantee work even though you bought it from another dealer.

That sucks .Have you thought about just comeing right out and tell the local guy that you would buy a machine from him ,but let him know that you know what they sell for elsewhere?
I think they would have to do warantee work even though you bought it from another dealer.
F them! If you buy a Chevy in Indiana and you break down in Florida, the warranty is the warranty. I will check with my relatively local dealer to hear their input. I say buy what you want and need and let them figure out who pays for the breakdowns. BTW, sell that stump slayer yet?

I told the local guy what the other dealer is willing to sell the machine for and he says he could sell it for the same IF he didn't have "all that darn shipping expense"... :rolleyes2:

Yeh, right. I could buy that machine on the east coast and have it shipped to SD for no more than a grand. "all that shipping expense" is just an excuse for trying to overprice an item that they think I'm clueless about.

I'm sure they would throw a major stink about me bringing in a machine that I bought elsewhere to get warranty work from them. They might HAVE to do the warranty work but they'd probaby put me at the bottom of the priority list.

I dunno - I guess I'm just going to have to see what the local guy comes up with. I'll give him a week to get back to me. If no results by then, I might just deal with the other guy and hope nothing breaks within the first year. Nothing major anyways that I can't fix myself.

Latest posts

Back