Advice on buying a husky 394xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grawil

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a larger saw for some 'hobby' milling and found a 394 for sale locally. A few questions:

- general thoughts... good saw? bad saw?
- is there anything specific that I should ask about and/or watch out for?
- what should the compression be?

I've looked at a few 066s for sale locally but the asking price was much higher and the saws were in rather rough shape.

Thanks,
GW

Last edited:
I can't tell you if THAT 394 is a good one or not, but MINE has been an awesome machine! I probably had the same thoughts as you when I first purchased it, but have never regretted getting it!

394/5 = good saws, will work well for you milling.

as its local, go and have a look at it... start it up, let it idle for a while, cut with it if you can...

take the muffler off and take a look at the piston through the exhaust port..

if it all looks good and the price is right, go for it...

Its about 300km away and I expect it has been well used / well maintained as the fellow selling it builds log homes from local pine. I was planning to take a look at the piston and will certainly run / cut with it. I have a compression guage that I'll bring with me but I'm not sure what 'good' is for cold/warm husky?

Unless the release valve is on the piece you screw into the saw, you won't get a good reading on the meter, it will read low.

Pulling the muffler is a "must", have to see about scoring and wear on the piston/cyl. Start it up, and if you have something to cut, even better.

Good luck, hope it turns out for you.

Mark

Unless the release valve is on the piece you screw into the saw, you won't get a good reading on the meter, it will read low.

I have an inexpensive Equus gauge. It has a release valve but on the gauge, not the threaded insert. Would this be sufficient?

In either case, I'll pull the muffler, check the piston and rings for scoring and then fire it up. The guy sounded reasonable on the phone; he knows what it's worth (to him at least) and he seems firm on the price.

Anyways... will let you know next weekend :chainsaw:

I have an inexpensive Equus gauge. It has a release valve but on the gauge, not the threaded insert. Would this be sufficient?

In either case, I'll pull the muffler, check the piston and rings for scoring and then fire it up. The guy sounded reasonable on the phone; he knows what it's worth (to him at least) and he seems firm on the price.

Anyways... will let you know next weekend :chainsaw:

I've got the same one but a different brand. It will read low. On the upside, my 066 pulled a 155 on mine.

Mark

Thanks all. I've been looking for a milling/big saw for a few months now but I really can't afford the cost of a new saw. When sharp, the 038S doesn't struggle with much, but I wouldn't dare mill anything with it.

Any advice on how to tell the wife that I'm going to look at another saw?

Don't.

Go buy the saw and put it in the shed where she won't see it. Whenever she leaves for any length of time, take it out and clean it up, tune it, repair ect. Then after you've had it for a few months, she can see it. When she asks you, "when did you get that"? Or "where did that come from"? You look her right into the eye and tell her truthfully, "I've had this for quite awhile now".

It works.

It is tough to find a big saw that hasn't either been used a lot (many many hours) or was taken care of but they are around be patient ask a lot of questions bring a compression tester and make sure it has a manual with it. People that keep manuals usualy take care of their stuff and maintain it well. The 394 is a good saw low vibration very good air filtration which is something you would want in a milling setup but has the outboard clutch setup which makes it a little tougher to change chains and they don't clear large chips as well imo. The Stihl 660 has an inboard clutch excellent powerband vibrates a bit more than the Huaqvarna has a bit less air filtration ability but is known to take abuse and is right at home with a 36" bar. If I was milling I would want the 660 due to the clutch setup and the fact you can get a dualport cover that bolts on from Stihl that gives it a good deal more power while kepping a stock appearance. The 395 is a hair quicker than the 660 stock and deciding between the two comes down to taste ergonomics and features that you like dislike. I would also add that local dealer support for one brand over another could tip the scales as to which saw you buy. If your milling don't overlook the large saws such as 880 or 090 if you could get one in nice condition they would be ideal for milling.

Many thanks for the comments huskydave. I'm in southern Ontario so dealer support is generally good with a few stihl and husky dealers within 1 hr should I need them. None of the local dealers stock larger/pro saws. The pros in the area tend to stick with 372 or a 044 so the dealer techs are pretty good with these. Dealer support near the family cottage/camp is limited.

With regards to the outboard clutch, I realize it will make changing the chain a little more difficult but, I figure that the reduced case temperature might be advantageous when milling. Thanks for pointing out the chip clearance issue. The 038 I picked up last year and has been a great cleanup/firewood saw. If I could find a good deal on a used 066, I'd get it without a second thought. In the end, however, I suspect that it may just come down to availability... if this 394 checks out ok, then for the price, I'll get it and be happy. If not, I'll keep hunting for that elusive, garage-sale 066/088/090.

Don't.

Go buy the saw and put it in the shed where she won't see it. Whenever she leaves for any length of time, take it out and clean it up, tune it, repair ect. Then after you've had it for a few months, she can see it. When she asks you, "when did you get that"? Or "where did that come from"? You look her right into the eye and tell her truthfully, "I've had this for quite awhile now".

It works.

+1

its a lot easier to ask for forgiveness than permission

Just tell her that she gets the next saw.:cheers:

Lately, my wife has been saying "Get your @$$ out in the shop and build some saws!!!!!!!......."

Last edited:
Just tell her that she gets the next saw.

She's already hinted that the 038 is to heavy for her so I don't think she'll be keen on the 394. Given the saw is 200 miles away, I think I may try and convince her to make a weekend trip of it... we'll find a nice B&B with a jacuzzi tub for her and I'll get a saw.

Latest posts

Back