Advice on buying a new log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z4lunch

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Steve here... I am planning on pulling the trigger on a log splitter... Looking for any suggestions on who makes a good quality splitter... So farI have been leaning toward , Northern Tool , or Baileys. The Northern tool splitter has a 9 hp Honda, The Prosplit from Baileys Has an 8hp Honda. Any hot tips wood be appreciated.
Thanks

Steve, here are a few things that I would like to have on mine, that I don't so maybe you can use this "wish" list as something to look for.
- 4 way spliting wedge
- ablilty to tilt to vertical so you don't have to lift the big stuff up on to it
- log lift, if you can't find a good vertical one
- High speed tires so you can tow it on the roads without worry that the wheels will heat up

Also, look at the construction of the beam, if it is I type it should have some braces welded in to close the web under the wedge and cylinder anchor.

Anyway, that's all I can think of for now
Good Luck

I agree with building one. have like 800 in ours with a 12 horse Briggs I/C engine. I thimnk the pump is 22gpm. Havent found a piece of firewood here that will stop it.

mine has 5" cylinder,,,8 horse b&s,18gpm pump and it busts the notys wood...i got a lot less than 800 in mine alot of mine was used only thing new was the pump

I'm almost CERTAIN its gonna be a HUGE splitter, probably like the GIANT one bandit makes. I love powerful/big tools.

Vertical/Horizontal or Horizontal

Hi guys,

been reading the threads about new splitters and I am in the same situation. Been looking at the Ram Splitters (www.ramsplitter.com and timberwolf). My biggest question at this point is which is better: a HORIZONTAL/VERTICAL or the HORIZONTAL.

I have always used the H/V before - where the wedge is attached to the cylinder. Obviously you can't put a 4 way wedge on the H/V......

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

all the splitters on the market are all basically the same design. except split-fire. i split by hand for years, but acquired a bunch of pinon pine, toughest splitting wood i have ever split, knotty, pitchy, grain is about as straight as wood screw threads. so i did alot of research and found split fire. it has a ram under the bed, with a 2 way, or 4 way wedge that splits in both directions. two people can bury the splitter in about an hour. they say that with support equipment (conveyor), it can do 5 face cords/ hour. i believe it. i bought mine in september, and have already run over 250 face cords through it, about 85% pinon, the rest aspen. you never have to wait for the ram to return, it is always on the splitting stroke. mine is a 290-4, 9 hp honda, 2 way and 4 way wedges, wouldnt want to tow it at high speeds, or very far. but it is the fastest splitter on the market i believe, high quality, according to manufacturer should last me 1500 face cords before i need to do any service on the sliding mechanism. at over 250 face cords, the only wear i see is on the paint! dont have the web site address, but they are out of norwich ontario

Where in WI are you. I have a Timberwolf TW-5 you can try out. It's not for sale but you are welcome to give it a try. It has a log lift and 4 way wedge, table grate. I purchased it from Pete Mainka Enterprises.

Dale

Dave1 here I have a husky 34 ton spliter with a 11 hp briggs on it and I have only put birch in it and it wont even slow down. I get some of my wood at the land fill the reason they through it out is because its to big for any one to splitt. I have splitt trunks 30 inches around with knotts as big as my legg it never even began to breath hard. The problem is that some of the wood once cut is not pretty, in the medical field it would have a crush injury. If I could make a sugestion , Rent one for one day that is comercally mfg. then make your decision. How many times have you bought something and found out later that there were things you might have liked to have on it . key start, biger gas tank , big wheals, turn signals, Vertical use or only , 16 22 or largerpump. just a thought............dave1

Back