Advice on flue design please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreng

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a wooden house with a brick chimney up the middle. I will soon be installing a wood burning stove and could do with some advice on flue design.

The stove will go directly in front of the chimney. The obvious flue design is a rear exit flue from the stove, horizontally into the chimney stack.

However I have also been pondering a top exit, with a vertical steel flue for say 1 to 1.5 meters, then a 45deg bend to enter the stack. Seems to me this could have the following advantages
- more heat into the room from the exposed flue
- inspection hatch just below the 45deg bend

with a possible downsides of:
- greater cost
- colder gases entering the stack leading to greater buildup

Any views?

Take it for what its worth but I was always told to keep the amount of flue pipe to a minimum inside the home, thus a rear exit is the ticket. However, a 45 is better for flow and is more accessible if you need to check it for a clog.

Take it for what its worth but I was always told to keep the amount of flue pipe to a minimum inside the home, thus a rear exit is the ticket. However, a 45 is better for flow and is more accessible if you need to check it for a clog.

logically, that makes sense putting the pipe on an agle, rather than straight back.

most ones i have seen were vertical pipe then 90 into the chimney... I was told that the stuff that falls down the chimney is less likely to enter the flue pipe.

That's true but that "stuff" has to go somewhere. At least in the flue pipe it is accessible. I have seen people make a cleanout at the bottom of the vertical pipe that all they have to do is remove the cover and the "stuff" drops out. Put cover back on and keep on burning.

Latest posts

Back