Advice on how best to get pro saw dirt cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anything I actually intend to USE, and that won't be just a toy, I'm done trying to find dirt cheap something and fix it up or make it work. Rather spend more up front and get something in better shape from the get go. Whole lot less trouble.

Home Depot used saws save 50% or more off a new saw. One of the most popular is the Makita 6421 for around $300, add a $200 79cc top end and you are $500 into a $800 pro 79cc saw. There is one on Denver fb marketplace for $200 right now. The 4300 which is a smaller saw runs about $200. I picked one up as third owner for $160. Was in good shape and runs well.

I have zero need for a 79cc saw, but that's definitely on my toy list.

So the 18" Craftsman I bought new last year isnt able to do what I need to do with it so Im wondering if I can possibly afford to upgrade to an 18" used pro saw. Is that going to be out of reach financially for someone with little income and will need to do odd jobs to raise the money for?
I dont use a saw professionally. I live in Wichita, KS and I use it to help clean up fallen, usually very dead, trees for people that can't (always too old or sick) I also do other stuff to get them out of trouble with the city inspector like clean out trash from the yard or cut long grass and weeds. Trees and limbs cant legally stay on the ground here so I cut them, stack them and put the wood on FB marketplace for folks to have. This kerps them out of court and away from high abatement costs which they cant afford.
The last couple of trees got my saw so hot it just stopped starting up and I had to make a second trip which means someone had to wait for help. That hurts so Im just putting out the question so I know what kind of saw (brand/model) to keep an eye out for and what I should consider a good price. Thanks for reading.
When people drink, the true person comes out, be it good or bad. But it is the true person
I have an 028 stihl for sale in the trading post that I will sell you for $100 shipped, the thing ran good a couple of years ago , just been sitting in the building as I dont care for the 028s nor the 038s If that will help you any

I have an 028 stihl for sale in the trading post that I will sell you for $100 shipped, the thing ran good a couple of years ago , just been sitting in the building as I dont care for the 028s nor the 038s If that will help you any
Good idea [emoji106]

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
This is a good idea except I don't charge any money for helping these folks. I volunteer my time, energy and gas money to help poor, sick and elderly folks in my city.

Pro saws? I tend to think of Stihl and Husqvarna/Husky. Maybe Dolmar/Makita. Home Depot sells used rentals at a good price. Good luck finding those dirt cheap though.

You don't sound like you need a true pro saw though. I'll bet you run into a usable saw pretty soon. The carb jets may be clogged due to ethanol gas of course.Won't start with 1000 pulls. But carb can be rebuilt.
Dirt cheap isn't reasonable. I realize that. I just need a saw that will start and finish the job which can be anything from a fallen limb to a large, dead fallen tree (usually a cottonwood). I'll check at my home depot. Thanks for the tip!

Even the best deal is going to cost money, bud.

I'll be the jerk who says it. Without meaning to be harsh, right now you're basically a newcomer on a forum begging for a free saw.

If you have a FB page or a portfolio of jobs completed and a list of happy recipients, you may get people willing to chip in some cash for a saw, or donate one.

Alternatively, you have valuable skills. If helping the most people is your goal, then there's zero shame in charging people who aren't in need for your services, in order to buy better equipment, so that you can help more people and not charge those who are in need.

Dirt cheap isn't reasonable. I realize that. I just need a saw that will start and finish the job which can be anything from a fallen limb to a large, dead fallen tree (usually a cottonwood). I'll check at my home depot. Thanks for the tip!

Well, you've never told us how much you want to spend.

Even the best deal is going to cost money, bud.

I'll be the jerk who says it. Without meaning to be harsh, right now you're basically a newcomer on a forum begging for a free saw.

If you have a FB page or a portfolio of jobs completed and and a list of happy recipients, you may get people willing to chip in some cash for a saw, or donate one.

Alternatively, you have valuable skills. If helping the most people is your goal, then there's zero shame in charging people who aren't in need for your services, in order to buy better equipment, so that you can help more people and not charge those who are in need.
Fair enough. But I'm only seeking advice. I'm definitely not asking to be sent a free saw. I'm a newcomer to chainsaws and bought one that wasn't up to the workload and hope that I can make a a more informed decision next time. I don't really have skills in sawing which is why I only work on smaller trees that are down and if someone needs a standing tree taken down I help them find grant monies that my city makes available.

Well, you've never told us how much you want to spend.
I think I can get away with spending between 300 and 400. I'm hoping that used could boost the quality I can get but being inexperienced I may be better of buying a new or refurbished saw from a chainsaw dealer in town. Craigslist or home depot options might be risky for someone with little experience with saws.

Fair enough. But I'm only seeking advice. I'm definitely not asking to be sent a free saw. I'm a newcomer to chainsaws and bought one that wasn't up to the workload and hope that I can make a a more informed decision next time. I don't really have skills in sawing which is why I only work on smaller trees that are down and if someone needs a standing tree taken down I help them find grant monies that my city makes available.
If you are only cutting small stuff, I would get the cs490, seen good buys on eBay.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

You need to learn how to sharpen a chain, first and foremost. It's really quite easy to make a chain that cuts. I'm guessing that is your biggest problem. Almost any POS saw will cut wood with a sharp chain.

you could easily get a really decent saw for 300 dollars. I've bought a few quality, used saws that run perfectly for less than 200 dollars, so 300 is plenty.

And I concur with the fellow who suggests you charge a little to those who can afford a little. That's difficult and possibly awkward , I get that.

may I suggest a new Makita 4300, if you go new. Just over 300 dollars and a great little saw.

depending on the job at hand a good tree hand saw can do a lot of cleanup work, btw.

PS, trees will kill you. Be careful out there!

You need to learn how to sharpen a chain, first and foremost. It's really quite easy to make a chain that cuts. I'm guessing that is your biggest problem. Almost any POS saw will cut wood with a sharp chain.

you could easily get a really decent saw for 300 dollars. I've bought a few quality, used saws that run perfectly for less than 200 dollars, so 300 is plenty.

And I concur with the fellow who suggests you charge a little to those who can afford a little. That's difficult and possibly awkward , I get that.

may I suggest a new Makita 4300, if you go new. Just over 300 dollars and a great little saw.

depending on the job at hand a good tree hand saw can do a lot of cleanup work, btw.

PS, trees will kill you. Be careful out there!
Thank you!

Sounds like you don’t need a pro saw and are now realizing how expensive they are. I think a echo 590 is in your future but don’t buy it at Home Depot. Buy it from a local dealer if possible.
Good call! This looks like a really powerful saw at a great price compared to other saws in that range from Husq or Stihl. 59.8CC behind a 20" chain for $400.00 from a dealer.

Congrats on doing charity work for those in need. I should think one of them will dig up an old saw for you - someday. A lot of people prefer the older saws though they tend to weigh a couple pounds more I think.
It would be nice having a second saw. I think I'm going to see about saving up for the echo cs590. There's a couple of dealers in town.

I think you should charge something, then put it in an expense fund, for gear or for people truly in desperate situations.

I am retired and do a lot of work for people in need. Unless they are close friends, i always charge something, for several reasons:
-Cover my out of pocket costs, or parts costs at least. It’s a ministry but I’d prefer not to be at a loss. Save the limited funds for people really flat broke.
-Don’t want to become an easy first call for free help, when the person could do it themself, with technical advice or helping hands if needed.
-Even when charging someone truly in need 10% or what a contractor might cost, I think it is important that people don’t become even more part of our vast culture of ‘entitlement’ who think all their inconveniences in life should be solved by someone else, preferably at no cost to themself.
-Charging. Something does winnow out the requests by the ‘entitled’ folks above. There are far more needs than time, and I don’t want it spent on the takers.
-There is some sort of dignity salvaging, especially older folks who have been independent all their lives. They don’t want ‘charity’ if they can avoid it and solve themselves or with friends (or could at a younger age). Those people are what our country used to be made of, and I wish that was still the case.

Kcj

Latest posts

Back