Advice on how best to get pro saw dirt cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you should charge something, then put it in an expense fund, for gear or for people truly in desperate situations.

I am retired and do a lot of work for people in need. Unless they are close friends, i always charge something, for several reasons:
-Cover my out of pocket costs, or parts costs at least. It’s a ministry but I’d prefer not to be at a loss. Save the limited funds for people really flat broke.
-Don’t want to become an easy first call for free help, when the person could do it themself, with technical advice or helping hands if needed.
-Even when charging someone truly in need 10% or what a contractor might cost, I think it is important that people don’t become even more part of our vast culture of ‘entitlement’ who think all their inconveniences in life should be solved by someone else, preferably at no cost to themself.
-Charging. Something does winnow out the requests by the ‘entitled’ folks above. There are far more needs than time, and I don’t want it spent on the takers.
-There is some sort of dignity salvaging, especially older folks who have been independent all their lives. They don’t want ‘charity’ if they can avoid it and solve themselves or with friends (or could at a younger age). Those people are what our country used to be made of, and I wish that was still the case.

Kcj

I work through city agency to get a list of people to help and by the time I get them they are very close to ending up in court or having the city abate the issue at a high cost which is tacked onto their property tax bill, which many are years behind on already. These aren't you average old folks living on a meager income from ssn or whatnot. Of all the folks on the list I choose the ones taht are in imminent danger. All of them have had some kind of catastrophic health event that has put them on their ass financially and physically, not to mention socially and psychologically. All of them. I had no idea how bad it was for our elders in the USA. One lady was living without water and relieving herself in a coffee can. A lady I came across a couple weeks ago has been living without utilities for 4 years because as a 78 year old retired schoolteacher who suffered 2 heart attacks and a stroke she's tapped out. A retired secretary is being eaten alive by fleas and bedbugs in her own home because she can't afford the treatments. There are probably people in my city who I could charge but I don't need that money so I'd leave that work to people who earn money from doing that kind of work as I still have a fulltime job despite covid trashing our industry (restaraunts).

There is a really nice looking 028 Super on FB market place in Marion for $250. It's been on there over a week, so I bet you could talk him down. It's PHO so you would need a bar and chains.
I'm just north of you in the Salina area. I wish I was in Wichita more often, I would come give you a hand. What you are doing is really great.

Edit: There is also a nice looking Echo CS-590 Timberwolf on FB marketplace in Newton for $250.

I know" pro " means different things to different people but there's always a good XL-12 or Pro Mac 10-10 somewhere. They are ridiculously easy to work on and no complicated parts to brake.
Obviously don't pick one up that broken, but they are all metal so should be pretty apparent if something is wrong . Usual repair is fuel line, filter , carb kit and spark plug around 35.00$.

There is a really nice looking 028 Super on FB market place in Marion for $250. It's been on there over a week, so I bet you could talk him down. It's PHO so you would need a bar and chains.
I'm just north of you in the Salina area. I wish I was in Wichita more often, I would come give you a hand. What you are doing is really great.

Edit: There is also a nice looking Echo CS-590 Timberwolf on FB marketplace in Newton for $250.
Thank you. I bet theres folks in Salina too :). I'll take a look at that FB marketplace. thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Back