Advice on installing a chimney liner - 25'

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokee

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hopefully next weekend I'll try to get the liner down the chimney. A previous owner of my house had a stove so they've removed the damper assy. I assume they had a 6" pipe going part way up. The idea was to prep the liner and lift one end using a rope to the roof. Do they usually drop down or will I have to rig something to have someone pull as well - which I figured I'd have to do.

Any advise or tips will be appreciated.

Joe

Hopefully next weekend I'll try to get the liner down the chimney. A previous owner of my house had a stove so they've removed the damper assy. I assume they had a 6" pipe going part way up. The idea was to prep the liner and lift one end using a rope to the roof. Do they usually drop down or will I have to rig something to have someone pull as well - which I figured I'd have to do.

Any advise or tips will be appreciated.

Joe

I guess it will depend on what the chimney is like that your installing it in. I went through this 4 or 5 years ago. Installed about 30ft. of 8" SS flex liner down a 9" x 11" bare brick chimney. Sounds like it would be a snap. But that turned out to be a heck of a job.:(

Had two guys on the roof trying to man handle that giant surprisingly stiff, hard to handle snake.
I was in the basement pulling on a rope. Had a cap screwed on the bottom end with a handle on it to tie the rope to. Was a tight fit. Once we were down about half way or more was the worse.
Kinda of an slight offset part way down.

Was many a time we would just come to halt. Couldn't get it up or down.:msp_angry: Just kept at it. would get it back up a ways, and try again. Finally got it all the way down. Me pulling for all I had, from down below. There is NO WAY I could have used a insulating wrap on this install.
Turned out to be one heck of a job! But, glad we did it. Works great, unbelievable draft, and sure do feel better having that stainless steel liner in that bare chimney. The bricks mortar joints were starting to get bad above the roof line.

I couldn't tell you what company was that I bought from. Was around $700 or so, total for the liner, T, and top cap setup. Ours is hooked up to an older wood furnace in the basement of an older farm house. Worth every penny and drop of sweat though, I can tell you that.:)
I can tell you its not a one man job! Find some help! Every install is probably different though. Some easier than others. Wishing you luck with your liner install!

:cheers:
Gregg,

If, you are doing it without insulation, and your chimney is at least 2-3" bigger I.D. than the O.D. of the liner, and the flue is in relatively good shape, and it is a straight shot from top to bottom, then, it should drop right down, no problem. If, the dimensions are tight, especially if you are insulating, or the flue has loose mortar sticking out, offsets, or top of chimney is hard to get to from roof top, could be a tough time.

I did mine this summer. 8" liner, insulated, about 9.5" diameter total with insulation, 12 x 12 I.D. straight shot chimney. Due to not having access to the chimney top from the roof, and the fact that a 8" x 28' insulated liner is more than a little bulky, I used a Gradall boomlift to lift the whole thing up above chimney top and then slowly slide it down in. Went pretty well. (pic can be seen on the bottom of the first page of http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/210482.htm )

FYI, make sure the warranty on the liner is still good if you DIY install. I could only find 1 liner company that was OK with a DIY install, (gotta read their warranty fine print!) and most want an annual professional inspection (cleaning) too. Also, check your HO insurance, some don't like DIY install.

Latest posts

Back