Advice on old Homelites

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopwood

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey all you collectors, I've got a chance to pick up two old homeys. A model 17 and a 55. Both are in great shape and run strong. The 55 has 1/2 inch which is the real reason i'm interested, and the 17 has 3/8ths. Good bars and chains, good paint and all. Is $125 too much to pay, should I pass or try to get him to go lower or buy 'em for that price. Be aware, I am by no means a collector- YET, I just think they are kind of cool.

Something I have learned recently is that it is not the ammount of money, it is how bad you want it or want it sold.
If you have the $$$, and think it is a good deal, then go for it.
As long as both parts are happy it is a good deal.
It is not all about $$$.

Collector saws have no definable value. If you want a good deal...work on a deal for a new saw. If you want a collector saw, find out whats interesting at the moment (key word is: "moment") and buy one for what ever they are available for!

If you are needing a serious saw, that $125 is way too much....if your starting to collect and happen to like that period of Homelites...thats a good deal and expect to spend another $150 to get them where you want them.

I'm not sure what a 55 is and Mike doesn't have it listed. But if it runs 1/2" chain it has to be an oldie. If they are available locally with no shipping and in running codition I wouldn't hesitate. But, hey if you can get a little better price that's even better yet. The worst that can happen is the seller will say no to your lower offer and you give him what he is asking. IMHO. If you spend some time watching the old saws on E-bay you will get a feel for what they go for. And those prices will have shipping added. The majority of the old saws on E-bay are not in running condition BTW. A few are.

Latest posts

Back