Advice please...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey All,
It seems like ages since I've been here but with the hacks on the forum I've had a lot of trouble logging in!Anyway, to my question:

Recently, I bought a number of saws from a logger who retired. They were all good saws, the lot price was great & I have sold, traded or given away most of them. All ran or needed very little work.
Of course I just went to look at the last of them - an 066 - and it has the serial number filed off. All of the other saws had serial numbers, and I know the guy's story was legit as I know the company he worked for etc but I don't know what to do with this one. Can I sell it? Can I list it on ebay, for example if it has no SN? Just not too sure, never had a saw with a missing SN. Thanks in advance for the info.

a saw with the serial number filed off ? sounds suspect to me,theres no reason to ever file off a serial number that I know off.

Many people might have a problem with that. I, on the other hand, don't. Make sure you PM me the link to that sale :) I could always use 066 parts.

Many people might have a problem with that. I, on the other hand, don't. Make sure you PM me the link to that sale :) I could always use 066 parts.

Soo................You are OK with stolen things?

No. But if it's gonna get sold cheap to someone, I'd rather it be me buying it.

The right thing to do would be to notify the authorities in the area where the saw was purchased to see if there have been any reports of an 066 gone missing. Of course, the right thing is usually the hard thing to do, and often leaves you empty handed in the present moment.

I would give the previous owner the benefit of the doubt. Spare cases come without a s/n stamped on them. If you could figure out the original #, it would be legit to stamp it on.

Was the serial number actually filed off, or simply missing? As another member stated, replacement cases do not have a serial number on them.

If it was in-fact, actually filed off, that would be an indication of criminal behavior. Maybe have your local dealer check it out and ask for some input.

Post a picture of the area where the serial number is supposed to be. If the finish matches another saw it's more than likely a replacement case.

Oh i never thought of a replacement case! I will check tonight but you know what, I dont think it did have "file marks" there was just no S/N!
The thing that totally confused me about the whole scenario is, as i mentioned, i bought a lot of saws from this guy & all the others had S/N on them. I even had a friend run 2 of the numbers just to make sure & they were legit as I was buying a bunch of stuff from him & wanted to make sure it was all on the up and up.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel a lot better but I'll check out the idea of a replacement case & post pics.

I always keep a small untraceable "drop saw" with the SN filed off in the trunk of my car. If I'm battling zombies with the 394 and accidentally saw up a civilian by mistake, I will place the "drop saw" next to the poor guy and claim self defense. I suspect this scenario makes much more sense than the ridiculous "replacement cases have no S/N" silliness posted earlier

That brings up a good question. If you have replace a crankcase, stamp the old s/n on to the new case, then file off the s/n on the old case........... you could run into the same problem.

Of course I just went to look at the last of them - an 066 - and it has the serial number filed off.

The OP says, the serial # was filed off.

What I am going to say may offend some, but so what. I was a Police Officer for 31 years and I am so thank full not having to deal with the public anymore.

In my experience a thief will steal. Anyone who will steal a small thing will steal anything if they feel they can get away with it. Willingness to posses something that it all probability is stolen is a significant tell to the ethics and morals of that individual.

The OP says, the serial # was filed off.

What I am going to say may offend some, but so what. I was a Police Officer for 31 years and I am so thank full not having to deal with the public anymore.

In my experience a thief will steal. Anyone who will steal a small thing will steal anything if they feel they can get away with it. Willingness to posses something that it all probability is stolen is a significant tell to the ethics and morals of that individual.

The OP later stated that he didn't think there were "file marks", but rather, just no serial number.

It does sound like a case was replaced at some time on the saw in question.

I was a cop for over 29 years, so I know exactly what you mean, in regards to the public. ;)

Obviously the only thing worse than finding out you have a stolen saw that you legitimately bought is to have one of your saws stolen or any of your property for that matter. But on the other hand the idea of a drop saw... I mean you never know even if you are a police officer cutting up a civilian in a zombie attack would certainly generate a large amount of paperwork at the very least.

But seriously I hope it all is on the up and up for your sake.

THanks again everyone. Upon further inspection, I see absolutely no signs of tampering (not sure if you can see at all from the crappy photo) but this certainly appears to be an incident of a switched case (thus no S/N).
It certainly makes a lot more sense considering the history of the fellow i bought it from.

DSC00244.jpg

If you have to separate the cases, the serial number will be stamped into the mating flange. If it is not there, replacement cases were used.

Back