Aerial Rescue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2treeornot2tree

Dont cry, just do it
Reaction score
My fire company asked to help teach a class on aerial rescue after a neighboring company had a hunter stuck up in a tree stand. The guy ended up falling outta the tree before the firemen could get a harness on him. I have alot of knowledge and training on high angle rescue, but doing a rescue from trees adds in some other factors. I am working on writing the creliqulum and wanted to ask if there is anyone that would have some pamplets or info that would be helpful for me to add into the class. We have a better chance of a rescue of a stranded/ hurt arborist or hunter then anything else around here. Thanks in advance.

Try contacting your local power company. The ones around here train most of their lineman & bucket operators in aerial rescue so they be able to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Also, I think the lineman supply companies J Harlen & JL Matthews might have some training materials.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I actually had to do one about eight years ago. Guess that ACRT stuff was good for something.

Just left a job to go look at another one and my main groundy called me saying our new climber was un-concious and hanging upside down in the tree. I was only about six blocks away so I told him to call 911 and get my gear next to the tree, it was no where near any power lines so I already new it wasn't energized.

After breaking every traffic law in the book, I got there and drove my truck strait through their landscape and into the backyard right to the tree, got my gear on and made my way up to him. At this time you could hear the sirens coming. Didn't know what was wrong with him but he was un-responsive, hanging upside down and foaming at the mouth.

Just went through this aerial rescue stuff so it was still pretty fresh in my mind. I put a lowering line on his d's and cut his line with my hand saw. My guys were lowering him to the ground when the EMS got there and placed him perfectly on the stretcher. EMS guy said that was amazing - where'd you learn how to do that? They would have never been able to get him outta there..

SO - turns out he was a f#####g junky having some kinda drug fit and passed out or fainted.. Guess I can partially blame myself for not spotting it sooner, and letting him work that day when he always seemed "not right" to me... Ended up canning him..

Sorry for the derail there 2tree, just wanted to share my experience with it..

I actually had to do one about eight years ago. Guess that ACRT stuff was good for something.

Just left a job to go look at another one and my main groundy called me saying our new climber was un-concious and hanging upside down in the tree. I was only about six blocks away so I told him to call 911 and get my gear next to the tree, it was no where near any power lines so I already new it wasn't energized.

After breaking every traffic law in the book, I got there and drove my truck strait through their landscape and into the backyard right to the tree, got my gear on and made my way up to him. At this time you could hear the sirens coming. Didn't know what was wrong with him but he was un-responsive, hanging upside down and foaming at the mouth.

Just went through this aerial rescue stuff so it was still pretty fresh in my mind. I put a lowering line on his d's and cut his line with my hand saw. My guys were lowering him to the ground when the EMS got there and placed him perfectly on the stretcher. EMS guy said that was amazing - where'd you learn how to do that? They would have never been able to get him outta there..

SO - turns out he was a f#####g junky having some kinda drug fit and passed out or fainted.. Guess I can partially blame myself for not spotting it sooner, and letting him work that day when he always seemed "not right" to me... Ended up canning him..

Not a derail. It just proves that this is something fireman need to know how to deal with. All the high anlge rescue training I have done has been off of buildings, cliffs or radio towers. There is alot more tree guys and hunters in the trees. This class should be pretty good and will get people to think outside the box when it comes to a tree rescue.

Not a derail. It just proves that this is something fireman need to know how to deal with. All the high anlge rescue training I have done has been off of buildings, cliffs or radio towers. There is alot more tree guys and hunters in the trees. This class should be pretty good and will get people to think outside the box when it comes to a tree rescue.

Good for you man. Sounds like some good training in tree rescue (guess aerial rescue is a pretty vague term) and some rigging wouldn't hurt. When you think about it kinda makes ya nervous if there isn't a really competent climber on the job to save yer ass. God knows if I get hurt up there they'll probably just drop the tree from the ground lol..

One cut is the quickest way to the ground. :hmm3grin2orange: I would also be screwed, as I am the only one that climbs on my crew. We are gonna do the class first in house with just our station, and if it goes good, we are gonna invite other stations to come do it with us. Maybe even submit the info to the state so maybe they will have a class for it.

Last edited:
One cut is the quickest way to the ground. :hmm3grin2orange: I would also be screwed, as I am the only one that climbs on my crew.

Ahh the joys of owning a tree service... do you give winter discounts? :msp_tongue:

sounds like you got a really good thing brewing up there

Last edited:
I normally dont give a winter discount. If i bid a job, and I come in way less time then i thought to get it done, I most of the time give the customer a break on the price. The winter is when I get a little break from working all the time. I take the time to relax a little, and do all the maintanence on all my equipment that I didnt get to during the summer.

I normally dont give a winter discount. If i bid a job, and I come in way less time then i thought to get it done, I most of the time give the customer a break on the price. The winter is when I get a little break from working all the time. I take the time to relax a little, and do all the maintanence on all my equipment that I didnt get to during the summer.

I was totally kidding... what the hell are you still doing up this late anyway..:msp_tongue:

Last edited:
I was catching up on some tv series i missed the lastest episode on. Dont got to much going on this week. Gotta get that locust removal done, and friday morning the fiance and I are leaving to go to daytona beach bikeweek for a week or so.

I was catching up on some tv series i missed the lastest episode on. Dont got to much going on this week. Gotta get that locust removal done, and friday morning the fiance and I are leaving to go to daytona beach bikeweek for a week or so.

Yup I'm about to watch ax men myself lol..I'm dead in the water till I get my chip truck back so I'm banished to work on equipment till that happens.

Have fun at Daytona brotha :cheers:

Yup I'm about to watch ax men myself lol..I'm dead in the water till I get my chip truck back so I'm banished to work on equipment till that happens.

Have fun at Daytona brotha :cheers:

I plan on it. Lots of good scenery. Guess I am gonna have to buy tapatalk for my phone so i can post you all up some pics. Gonna be my 10 time to bike week. I plan on spending sometime on the beach, maybe go swimming in the ocean.

damn thats ###### up.... when you see'em foaming from the mouth its a dead give away for a drug OD..... i watched a guy die on a fishing boat that way (he shot 9 bags of horse).... he turned white as ghost and his lips turned blue.... he was telling me his heart was hurting real bad.... we put his body in ice for 3 days until we got back to port.... that guy was lucky you showed up when you did... thanks for sharing...

If you have taken the TCIA EHAP course or know someone that has, View attachment 227460 then the last chapter deals with aerial rescue and has all the appropriate ways it should be done, that being said. Practice with a rescue dummy if you have one at the hall, not a live person.

I have not taken the course. I am gonna call them today and see if i can get some info from them. I have done a pickoff hundreds of times like the one in your picture. We will be using a dummy.

Last edited:
My fire company asked to help teach a class on aerial rescue after a neighboring company had a hunter stuck up in a tree stand. The guy ended up falling outta the tree before the firemen could get a harness on him. I have alot of knowledge and training on high angle rescue, but doing a rescue from trees adds in some other factors. I am working on writing the creliqulum and wanted to ask if there is anyone that would have some pamplets or info that would be helpful for me to add into the class. We have a better chance of a rescue of a stranded/ hurt arborist or hunter then anything else around here. Thanks in advance.

2treeornot2tree
Take a look over at the buzz where an 'Intensive Aerial Rescue Workshop' is being held in NJ on the 17th this month. It is listed in the dates to remember section.
Let me know if you are going and I will see you there.
Scrat

Last edited:
I just emailed him to see if there is open spots. Its 2 hrs 45mins away for me. Long drive after a long day, but would be cool to take the class.

Back