Affordable and Reliable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are the Rock O's and the Bee line eye2eyes for friction hitches, you new friend aloft.

Like I said get Grizzly spliced eye2eyes or tie your own up with scaffold knots. Don't waste money on splices like this where the outer covering has been removed to provided access to splice the inner fibers. Without the outer cover the rope is subject to much strain and wear quickly. These splices are not good for tree work and when there is Grizzly why bother with anything else unless money is an object. Knots work well with this stuff.

I made the three 3strand and the one Nerex for dollars while the one that cost 80 bucks had the splice slip. Its still good to have that kind too though, very strong and durable, pricey though.

The splicing fid is in the first picture.

Oh wow, those three strand splices look great. So, you can get a fid anywhere that sell climbing tools, or is it a bit of a specialty tool?

Ever try using a couple figure 8's in series?

It would twist you into a cheeseburger. A rescue 8 is good to have for controlling a zip-line, tag/drift line and for light quick duties, its rigging gear. Most likely its good to also have a personal one which will come in handy from time to time. Mine has progressed to a very small one for jumping of spars. Jumping off spars is NO-JOKE! I make it sound all fun but really it is a time to be VERY careful and have everything planned for when plans go wrong. This is something you do when coming down a bare tree trunk after you have striped it and are going to fell it. You come off all safties and are in your own hands, the change-over can kill but its the quickest way down and not leave any gear up there. I usually come down the rope with which the tree is getting pulled with. Listen, the ropes I use are to be trusted or they are even on the job. I will certainly use rigging gear to support my 165 measly pounds or I won't use it to heave thousands of pounds over my head! That's the logic I have been living for many many good years. Of course its up to you to know your gear and what it will support and what it won't. You also gotta know what whatever you are tieing it to is going to hold.

But just because you can doesn't mean I always do, for instance: I would not ever ever ever put a life on little measly rescue 8 after it has been subject to zip-line duty. I have been beating on porta-wraps long enough to know they will keep on holding. This is all stuff you have to see and work yourself to know well enough to understand.

Used a figure 8 for lowering for the first time last week, ok in a pinch but a portawrap does everything bigger and better and with far more control

To get a good saddle leave a blank check at the store ( yes, you MUST go to a store no matter what) and take a couple home with you to try. I did not buy the either saddle in this pick. The red and black saddle is outdated, not recommended and might bite your ballsack and change your life forever. Get something that stays out of your balls whatever you do. Bosson seat is best for comfort. This is going to be one of the highest cost per single item, its important to get it right. I use a moderately priced solid designed and made Weaver Cougar which now is important that I say I added a second but primary bridge made out of 16 strand ( the stuff is great!) and use the original bridge as my secondary. These need inpesction and replacement time to time.

Does Weaver still make the Cougar? Checking Bailey's and I'm not finding it

Here are the Rock O's and the Bee line eye2eyes for friction hitches, you new friend aloft.

Yeah I love those biners. Have you used the Rock Exotica minieight on arborist climbing rope? I was thinking of trying it out as a backup to my Petzl Rig or for doubled lines. I can't find any info on tying it off but it looks like there must be an easy way with the ears.

Yeah I love those biners. Have you used the Rock Exotica minieight on arborist climbing rope? I was thinking of trying it out as a backup to my Petzl Rig or for doubled lines. I can't find any info on tying it off but it looks like there must be an easy way with the ears.

I'm looking at getting a Petzl Sequioa.. you used a lot of Petzl equipment? Happy with it?

I'm looking at getting a Petzl Sequioa.. you used a lot of Petzl equipment? Happy with it?
I had a Petzl Navaho for a while but I sold it after I tried out some New Tribe saddles. Now I climb in a New Tribe Onyx and I love it. The Petzl saddles have nice backs but the leg support is lousy. The Sequoia has the same leg loops as the Navaho but it's set up differently since it's a bridge saddle. A buddy of mine has a Sequoia and a New Tribe Walkabout (recreational version of the Onyx) and he likes his Walkabout better. Petzl hardware is generally good stuff though.

I had a Petzl Navaho for a while but I sold it after I tried out some New Tribe saddles. Now I climb in a New Tribe Onyx and I love it. The Petzl saddles have nice backs but the leg support is lousy. The Sequoia has the same leg loops as the Navaho but it's set up differently since it's a bridge saddle. A buddy of mine has a Sequoia and a New Tribe Walkabout (recreational version of the Onyx) and he likes his Walkabout better. Petzl hardware is generally good stuff though.

Alright, thanks man. I think I might just stop being so cheap and get a Buckingham Ergo

Love my sequoia, I'm not a giant and it fits and supports well. If you're going ddrt and hanging big saws off it regularly then get the srt version and shoulder straps, otherwise its beautiful

Back