Affordable and Reliable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Shaw

DR Shaw
Reaction score
Hey fellow Arborists. Last year was my first year in urban forestry, and I loved it, so when I got laid off for the winter, I took a course to get certified. Just finished the last day, exam is later this month. I already have work lining up, but I'm using someone else's equipment currently. Just wondering where you've managed to find the best deals on quality climbing equipment. Any suggestions?

Anywhere they sell new stuff, prices are pretty much the same. Online stores, such as Tree Stuff, Sherrill, Wesper, etc. All have pretty good deals.

I know this is 101 but really? "Hi, I have no idea what I am doing, but now I am a certified tree pro, where can I buy some stuff"? I have been a fairly large advocate of a DIY attitude on this site but damn, if you cant handle a google search for "where to buy arborist equipment" I have serious doubts in your mental prowess, as well as the current ISA standards!:buttkick::eek::mad:

The best deal is getting what you want and like and will work, the hard part is figuring out what you want and like and will work. Its not cheap and if there is something cheap don't buy it.

One thing I can recommend right now is to buy the biggest block first even though its more expensive than a little pulley. You can use a big block as a little pulley but you cannot use a little pulley as a big block.

Also to use 12 strand True Blue for a lowering line will get you out of the starting blocks pretty good. It is the least exspensive but still is very nice in that application.

Another way to save cash is to make your own eye slings for rigging out of Tenex or Nerex. The splices are simple and strong and you can make one in 5 minutes that will last a good time. You might spend over 100 bucks for a eye sling but can make one for 10 bucks at a dollar a foot.

I know this is 101 but really? "Hi, I have no idea what I am doing, but now I am a certified tree pro, where can I buy some stuff"? I have been a fairly large advocate of a DIY attitude on this site but damn, if you cant handle a google search for "where to buy arborist equipment" I have serious doubts in your mental prowess, as well as the current ISA standards!:buttkick::eek::mad:

Oh brother, calm down big guy. I know how to Google that, but Google would just display whatever result that paid them the most money to advertise. Instead, I thought I would pick the brains of a couple experienced arborist's, I.E. people who have tried and tested equipment and know where to go and where to stay away from. That would save me the headache of buying crappy overpriced equipment. Were you born with the tree knowledge you currently hold? No, numbnuts, you gained knowledge through experience. My lack of experience doesn't mean I'm retarded.

The best deal is getting what you want and like and will work, the hard part is figuring out what you want and like and will work. Its not cheap and if there is something cheap don't buy it.

One thing I can recommend right now is to buy the biggest block first even though its more expensive than a little pulley. You can use a big block as a little pulley but you cannot use a little pulley as a big block.

Also to use 12 strand True Blue for a lowering line will get you out of the starting blocks pretty good. It is the least exspensive but still is very nice in that application.

Another way to save cash is to make your own eye slings for rigging out of Tenex or Nerex. The splices are simple and strong and you can make one in 5 minutes that will last a good time. You might spend over 100 bucks for a eye sling but can make one for 10 bucks at a dollar a foot.

Wow, thanks a lot, I'll keep this in mind. I had been wondering if doing my own splicing would be worth it, thanks for the heads up

HA! My first ever "dislike", good for you Ryan Shaw!

Yeah well, after a bunch of years in this business maybe Ryan will understand. I might have said the same thing but at least it sounds like he is serious and not one of those guy who comes in here asking how to start a business, how much to charge, how to get clients, what does a tree look like, etc. Today I gave the guy a chance, tomorrow one might not be so lucky.

Wow, thanks a lot, I'll keep this in mind. I had been wondering if doing my own splicing would be worth it, thanks for the heads up

Like I said, splicing Tenex and Nerex is easy as pie. I don't have time nor desire to splice more technical ropes though if you do it would be worth it.

HA! My first ever "dislike", good for you Ryan Shaw!
I have had a few. Generally, I get them the same way you did, calling a spade a spade.

To the OP, I too have my concerns, but I happen to know where there is a nice collection of gear for sell. An AS member purchased a bunch of new gear, nice stuff, and then decided that tree climbing wasn't for him. I have no idea what changed his mind. For more information, go to the commercial climbing forum and find the thread ' local ad, you got to see this' or something like that. I think you can see the stuff on the Craigslist link.

Yeah, I wrote those down. Thanks

Just remember where you are at and don't go asking stupid questions for us to answer like about how much you are worth because you will get an answer you will not like and have your bones picked clean by every last mean old buzzard here, including me.

Oh brother, calm down big guy. I know how to Google that, but Google would just display whatever result that paid them the most money to advertise. Instead, I thought I would pick the brains of a couple experienced arborist's, I.E. people who have tried and tested equipment and know where to go and where to stay away from. That would save me the headache of buying crappy overpriced equipment. Were you born with the tree knowledge you currently hold? No, numbnuts, you gained knowledge through experience. My lack of experience doesn't mean I'm retarded.
I use Wesspur because they will match any offer advertised on any other site, and free shipping on orders over $100. You have thick skin, I like that. Climb away Padner!!

Just remember where you are at and don't go asking stupid questions for us to answer like about how much you are worth because you will get an answer you will not like and have your bones picked clean by every last mean old buzzard here, including me.

I can respect that. I'm sure you see your fair share of thoughtless posts so it would get annoying after a while

I have had a few. Generally, I get them the same way you did, calling a spade a spade.

To the OP, I too have my concerns, but I happen to know where there is a nice collection of gear for sell. An AS member purchased a bunch of new gear, nice stuff, and then decided that tree climbing wasn't for him. I have no idea what changed his mind. For more information, go to the commercial climbing forum and find the thread ' local ad, you got to see this' or something like that. I think you can see the stuff on the Craigslist link.

I saw that, but it sold already

Well, I'm glad to hear he got it sold. Hope he didn't have a major loss in the deal.

No major loss I am sure, just shattered dreams. Better than a shatter spine I suppose but I guess that depends on who you are. Hell, I would kill myself first with all that gear that guy had before I would sell it.

Back