After 4 months it finally came! (Log Load)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got outside this morning for around 2 hours and got a little cutting done. It ended up being about 4 tanks of fuel in the MS362. This should be enough wood once split to fill a few truck loads of wood that will go to my parent's house early next week.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice load of firewood that you have, and a good fair price too. Like $80.00 per cord.

I really like the size of the wood you have there. I split by hand and that stuff will be easy going!

Looks from what you have sawed up that it is mostly Oak. The cut ends look pink like Oak.

Bob

How did your MS362 perform? I'll bet you're real happy with it!

Beyond happy with it! The weight is very reasonable, it sips fuel, has enough power to cut with authority, and the anti-vibe is perfect. It makes Dad's old Homie seem primitive to say the least. A few hours running the SXL will leave my hands shaking so bad I have to pour the bar oil in with a funnel, otherwise I will spill more than I get in the tank, that was not the case with the MS362.

Very nice looking load there:biggrinbounce2:, makes me wish I cold get my hands on a load or two like that around here, have fun cutting:chainsawguy:

Roy

Nice size by the looks of the rounds you've cut up. Was there a delivery charge on top of the $80/cord? And how far did he haul for you? I paid $1400./20 cord for Oak, plus $700. delivery. Mixed hardwood was $10./cord less. You got a nice looking load!

Nice size by the looks of the rounds you've cut up. Was there a delivery charge on top of the $80/cord? And how far did he haul for you? I paid $1400./20 cord for Oak, plus $700. delivery. Mixed hardwood was $10./cord less. You got a nice looking load!

$80/cord was the delivered price. After the operator got down off the loader seat I handed him 16 bills and he hopped in the cab of his truck. The company is based out of Gladwin which is about 45 miles from me. He told me he had picked up the load in Grayling which is farther away at 100+ miles. There was a company out of Weidman that quoted the same price you stated for an all Oak load, they were the only ones who mentioned any "delivery charge", all others were a straight price for the delivered load. Too bad all of his trucks are too big to fit down a 16' wide driveway or he would have gotten my business, too.

Well, my Dad showed up and helped split on Saturday, this what we got done in about 5 hours. I had cut all the logs to length on Friday. We had to quit after getting this far so we could head into town and do a little Christmas shopping to keep the women happy. My Old Man is more than twice my age and he was hustling harder than I was all day long, it was nice to work side by side and get to stand back at the end of the day with a beer and see the fruits of our labor. We still have a lot of logs left to be processed, but this is definetly a good start.

attachment.php

attachment.php

His prize for coming North and lending a hand was this cord of wood.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We spent Sunday stacking a pile of wood that I have had here for months. It turned out to be a few cords, all of it was free which makes it the best kind of firewood. Sorry, no pics of that pile, I forgot to take them until the sun was too low. Hopefully everyone had a safe and productive weekend as well!

Tell me about those bedrail extensions! I need a set of those, are they homemade or purchased? If purchased-where from?

Tell me about those bedrail extensions! I need a set of those, are they homemade or purchased? If purchased-where from?

They are homemade, I used a Lincoln Power Mig 140. I posted in a thread a few months back when I was building them, there are several members who posted good ideas from their own projects as well.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=149243&page=3

I built mine so the sides drop in the stake pockets and the front crossbar pins to the sides with 2 pins per side. The rear crossbar floats on the sides because the sides will flex when loaded with wood. All together the project cost around $300.

I'm curious what kind of rig brought a load of 18-20 cords? A cord of green hardwood weighs an average of 4900 pounds, 4900 pounds times 20 cords is 98,000 pounds and then you add the weight of the truck and it would be way over any road limits around these parts unless the truck had extra axles and a tag trailer like in the video the other member posted?

Maybe it's two loads? If so, pardon me!

A rig like this hauls maybe 12-14 cords of green hardwood and that's without the weight of a log loader;
LogTruck.jpg

Last edited:
Moss Man-

The truck that delivered the load was exactly like the one shown in post #8 of this thread. We are fortunate here in Michigan that trucks with enough axles are legal at 164,000 lbs. Also, there are special exemptions for log trucks extending the legal load width to 108".

Moss Man-

The truck that delivered the load was exactly like the one shown in post #8 of this thread. We are fortunate here in Michigan that trucks with enough axles are legal at 164,000 lbs. Also, there are special exemptions for log trucks extending the legal load width to 108".

I understand now! You don't see rigs like that here in Maine very often, he must have been talented to back that into your yard to unload it.

It is a damn good looking pile of wood, be safe when cutting on that tall pile.

Very nice! Rep for ya!

I should say in looking over your thread on the expanded metal sides that you should find a way to tie together the top edge of the rear. With the pressure from loaded firewood, unless you are very careful, you could spread that far enough to pop the upper stub out of the hook while driving. Something through the upper crossbar that hooks under the c-channel hook and clamps tight enough to stay there, but is adjustable to accommodate the flex that will happen from loading. I could see a hook on a long bolt into a nut plate that could do the trick. Heck, even a decent bungee might do the trick.

Back