After 4 months it finally came! (Log Load)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been seeing alot Chris Muma trucks in our area, I live by alot of Federal land and they have been doing big section clear cuts of all hardwood forest!! Then they have Institutional bus loads of Pickel Pickers move in and hand plant the whole section with Jack Pine!!!:angry:

I guess I am at a loss...$1600 dollars for a load of wood
Now I am not sure how many cords this is but you indicated that you would need 1 to 2 of these a year There is approx 4 months maybe 5 in Mi That is 400/month± to the gas co.
I dont see where you are saving and that looks like alot of work.

I heat with wood, But I get all my wood for free and I like cutting, splitting and burning but at 400/month to cut split stack carry stack and burn. I would pay the gas company maybe I am not seeing the whole picture here
but that seems expensive to heat your house with

enlighten me please

Last edited:
I guess I am at a loss...$1600 dollars for a load of wood
Now I am not sure how many cords this is but you indicated that you would need 1 to 2 of these a year There is approx 4 months maybe 5 in Mi That is 400/month± to the gas co.
I dont see where you are saving and that looks like alot of work.

I heat with wood, But I get all my wood for free and I like cutting, splitting and burning but at 400/month to cut split stack carry stack and burn. I would pay the gas company maybe I am not seeing the whole picture here
but that seems expensive to heat your house with

enlighten me please

Maybe I was unclear in previous posts about the motives behind buying this load of wood. This 20 cord load will be enough wood to heat my father's house and my barn for 2 years, and if I ever get off my butt and get a stove intalled in my house it would easily cover my father's house, my house and my barn for 1+ year. 20 years ago when 1-2 semi loads were being purchased per year my father was running a pretty lucrative, small time firewood business in order to make enough money back on the wood he sold to cover the cost of the 7-8 cord/year to heat his home and put some food on the table as well. I wanted to get the load now in order to get it processed and stacked so that it is dry for the 2011-2012 heating season, I'm not going to be the guy complaining about how horrible my new stove is because I was foolish and and cut the wood that morning and watched the water pour out of it!

Furthermore, it has been suggested by some that buying logs reduces the money savings associated with burning wood and there are alternatives such as cutting on state land, making friends with farmers (my neighbors) and clearing fence rows, or buying more land to cut/replant on, etc. These methods all fail in the time needed to gather the wood when compared to a nice load of tops being delivered in my driveway. The latest pictures in this thread are the result of around 20 man hours being spent on processing this load, there is no possible way a guy like me with no quad or tractor to skid logs with could ever get 5+/- cords processed in that amount of time when cutting off site.

Overall, I am aware that it would be cheaper to heat with wood if I got all the wood for free, but I think anyone in a similar climate would agree that heating 2 homes and a 30'x40' barn at a cost of my labor plus $1600 is certainly cheaper than buying gas. Roughly the cost to heat those buildings on gas would be around $3500/year.

Very nice! Rep for ya!

I should say in looking over your thread on the expanded metal sides that you should find a way to tie together the top edge of the rear. With the pressure from loaded firewood, unless you are very careful, you could spread that far enough to pop the upper stub out of the hook while driving. Something through the upper crossbar that hooks under the c-channel hook and clamps tight enough to stay there, but is adjustable to accommodate the flex that will happen from loading. I could see a hook on a long bolt into a nut plate that could do the trick. Heck, even a decent bungee might do the trick.

As the pilot of the delivery vehicle on a couple of loads now, I'm pleased to report that there were no issues whatsoever with the racks on the truck. Both loads were approximately 3.5 face cords and the distance covered was just over 100 miles. The uprights on the sides are rectangular tubing that fits pretty snug into the stake pockets and extends down 6 inches. As a result, there is virtually no outward movement of the sides even with wood stacked all the way to the top. Shelby did a heckuva job putting these together and anyone thinking of fabbing a set of racks would do well to follow his recipe.

Weidman Logging Company

Shelby--which logging company gave you the quote from Weidman--Noble Forestry, Maeder? I called the guy I have pruchased bulk logs from the last couple years--RPM Logging out of Weidman--and he said he is now out of the logging business. I now need to find a replacement.

I spoke with Tom from Noble Forestry. It took them around a month to call me back when I called their number in the phone book. I have Tom's cell number now, I won't post it here, but send me a PM if you want it.

shelby--I think I will go with Muma. I talked to them today and got a quote for $1500 for 20 cords of green wood, which was actually a few dollars less than what I paid my last guy in the past. Based on your recommendation I think I will stick with Muma.

Thanks for the thread and the information.

jayhawk - You won't be disappointed. Our first dealing with them dates back over 20 years. They have never once failed to deliver exactly as promised.

Shelby-
How is that load looking for the upcoming 2011/12 heating season?

Are you close to the apple orchards? I had uncle who used to get all the old limbs and non productive trees for free. He had apple wood for smoking and plenty left to burn as firewood. That was some sweet smelling heat!

Are you close to the apple orchards? I had uncle who used to get all the old limbs and non productive trees for free. He had apple wood for smoking and plenty left to burn as firewood. That was some sweet smelling heat!

==

If this was directed to me, yes I'm in apple country, live right accross the road from a very large orchard and I get apple wood every chance I get...great wood, cherry also

201684d1317829729-wood-stack-5-11-001-medium-jpg

Across the road and up on top of the bluff for miles is all orchard, apple, cherry, pears

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back