After market bearings for Makita/Dolmar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhawk23

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, my chainsaw is in pieces and I can’t get the OEM bearings (backordered with no ETA). What’s the likelihood of finding them from another manufacturer?
Thanks

Hi, my chainsaw is in pieces and I can’t get the OEM bearings (backordered with no ETA). What’s the likelihood of finding them from another manufacturer?
Thanks
I've heard of people having luck with bearings from a bearing supplier. If you can give them the part number or the measurements you might be able to get a generic version.

I've heard of people having luck with bearings from a bearing supplier. If you can give them the part number or the measurements you might be able to get a generic
I've heard of people having luck with bearings from a bearing supplier. If you can give them the part number or the measurements you might be able to get a generic version.
I’d like a recommendation of a good manufacturer

Technically I only need new seals. One of the bearings isn’t very smooth and given the saw is totally apart I thought I would replace the bearings. Are seals any easier to locate? The diagram for the 4300/420 doesn’t list the seals separately.

Take the seals and bearings in to a place like Motion Bearings and they will physically measure them on site, then find them for you.
Thanks for the help, I just emailed Motion industries, I have a feeling they won’t be interested in selling me a couple bearings and I won’t hear back from them.

Post up a detailed pic of each side of your bearing to compare to below.

The Dolmar 960-123-129 bearing sure looks OEM proprietary, with an odd casing on the outer face & no separate seal on the IPL, but I’ve never pulled a 4300 apart. Uses the failure prone nylon ball carrier too.

F54FCCCC-05ED-447C-B84F-0A017EB70E93.jpegD801812E-E5FE-463E-B9C2-1AE7A1D5E865.jpeg

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ball-Bearing/960-123-129/4318935

Thanks for the help, I just emailed Motion industries, I have a feeling they won’t be interested in selling me a couple bearings and I won’t hear back from them.
I buy from them often, many times just one bearing at a time, often for electric tools. They have been great with me, no quibbling even for one seal they either have them in stock or get them in quick.

I run the search for the bearing numbers then find a bearing house supplier. Then I buy 10 at a time when I can. Seals too.

A bearing supply house will not know what bearings fit a particular saw, they either need a bearing make and number or physical measurements of the bearing, shaft size X outer bearing diameter X bearing depth in metric as bearings are sized using the metric system. I take in my measurements or an actual bearing for them to measure. Some examples below in link,
https://www.bearingworks.com/bearing-sizes/

A bearing supply house will not know what bearings fit a particular saw, they either need a bearing make and number or physical measurements of the bearing, shaft size X outer bearing diameter X bearing depth in metric as bearings are sized using the metric system. I take in my measurements or an actual bearing for them to measure. Some examples below in link,
https://www.bearingworks.com/bearing-sizes/
Great, I actually have calipers

I have found the right size bearings at Boca Bearings in Florida but not with seals meant for a chainsaw application.

I have contacted Stihl asking them if they can look up bearings by dimensions, no response yet. How likely is it that they’ll use the same size bearings with seals that work with a Makita/Dolmar?

Also, Jack’s informed me Makita has discontinued making the bearings so I will not be getting them from them, ever.

Seals can fit differently from model to model application, some seals fit inside the bearing shells while others fit in the crankcase bores or pockets the bearing fits in so its a saw model by model fit up. On the propitiatory bearings its OEM or possibly a China aftermarket replacement. We are still waiting to see pics of your saw and bearings to determine how they fit your application. I have not worked on a 420 but have worked over hundreds of saws with many differing bearing and seal installs.

Latest posts

Back