Aftermarket 4-Way Wedge for Iron & Oak Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarksvilleal

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well, I just took the plunge and ordered an Iron & Oak 22-ton Fast Cycle horizontal splitter, which is in reality their 30-ton splitter fitted with a smaller 4" x 24" cylinder (the 30-ton splitter has a 5" cylinder). It has a 9 HP Subaru Robin engine and a 2-stage 16 GPM pump. I really wanted to add the 4-way wedge, but it would have been an extra $300. Given that the the Iron & Oak was already several hundred dollars above my original target budget, I decided to forego the 4-way, at least for now.

But it occurred to me that there may be a lower cost aftermarket slip-on 4-way that fits the Iron & Oak. Some searching on this forum led to complaints that aftermarket wedges will often quickly dull the built-in wedge, which I don't want to happen.

So, does anyone out there know if there is a 4-way slip-on that will work on the Iron & Oak without messing up the factory wedge? FYI, the wedge on the splitter I ordered is 9" high. I don't know how wide it is, though.

Thanks,
Al

P.S. See link below for photos & complete specs

Iron and Oak 30 Ton Fast Cycle Robin Horizontal Log Splitter | BHH2003FC-ROB

wood splitter

Dont make the mistake I did buying an aftermarket 4 way wedge
for my old montgomery ward/MTD spiltter which I still have-the wedge
never went to the scrap yard as I forgot it.
In my experience an after market 4 way wedge may/will
ride up the 2 way wedge like mine did
and I almost lost a finger.

:msp_w00t: OUCH!

Well, I'll see what others have to say, but that's not encouraging, to say the least.

I would just make one that slips on I am going to make one for my homemade splitter. I can't see paying that much for a four way! Just my opinion..

I'm not sure if you have ever used a 4 way wedge so I'm going to give you my opinion on them to maybe save you from spending money you dont need to. I recently bought a splitter that has a 4 way on it and even though its homemade its still the same theory as any 4 way splitter head and I absolutely hate it. I was getting ready to start a new thread about splitter head designs when I came across your thread. What I dont like is that unless you have the perfect size log you will end up with very uneven splits, ok, not a big deal but if you decide to run it through again to make smaller splits what I have found since it has already been split once the piece you run through ends up getting split on the vertical edge (what you want) but also on the horizontal edge leaving you with very small almost flat shavings . This can be good but I have found it to be a little wasteful. I know some people will hold their splits centered on the wedge to try and get a more even split but i like my fingers and hands just the way they are. Also keep in mind you will be adding a considerable amount of extra stress on the machine by asking it to work twice as hard per cycle. Like I said, this is just my opinion on the 4 way head and I'm sure there are people that love them, I just figured I'd throw it out there for you.

I have a tw 2 with a factory 4 way, while splitting the 4 way slid off and did a 360 in the air.:msp_ohmy:

I have a 4 way slip on and absolutely love it. It reduces splitting time immensely. There is a guy on the net who will custom build one for you for $200. I also love that it rides up as it seems to find its own center. Mine is a 12" tall that I lopped off 2" on one end. For smaller wood I just flip it. What I also like is say you've just split a 12" log, you can split a 5" log with out getting slivers as the cross cutter is high enough to be over the split. I'll make do with the occasional splinters for the time it saves me but with the exception of knarly pieces or big fat rounds of over 16", its always on there. Its on a 16 ton old Northern horizontal splinter purchased in 98.

Interesting - thanks for the pics.

In the end I ordered the Iron & Oak 22-ton Fast Cycle Horizontal splitter. It is built the same as the 30-ton, but with a 4-inch cylinder (the 30-ton has a 5-inch cylinder) that gives it the fast cycle, i.e., it has the same engine options (mine will have the 9 HP Robins engine) and the same 16 GPM pump as the 30-ton model. It's supposed to be delivered today - can't wait. I've got a bunch of rounds that need splitting, and a couple of more trees to fell that will need splitting as well. So it's going to get a good workout in the next couple of weeks.

I decided not to get the Iron & Oak 4-way wedge - $300 was just too much to swallow at this point. I'm hoping with the fast cycle model that I won't miss not having a 4-way wedge. We'll see. It's good to know there is another 4-way wedge option at a lower price point so thanks for the heads up on that.

Arrow, thanks for the pics. My question is the split in the upper left corner is too big for my stove, how would you resplit it using the 4 way? I've considered making one too and from what I see you have to hold the bigger split piece up as it's being resplit otherwise you end up with slivers which is what Jnap has experienced too.

I have the Iron and Oak 4 way and would never go back to splitting without it. It's very easy to control the sizes of your splits. They give you 3 different size spacers that the 4 way sits on to control the size split coming out the bottom. I wasn't satisfied with that so I had a buddy make 3 more for me, all at half inch increments. I can choose whatever size split I want this way.

How to resplit that one you say is too big is to simply hold it above the 4 way and there is still plenty of vertical wedge to bust it up.

I can't imagine spending over $2,000 dollars on a great splitter then being too cheap to spend $300 more to be able to work it to its fullest potential.

Last edited:
it wont work well trust tried it
hvq9fk.jpg
start with it them move up to the big boys
11h6s1g.jpg

Arrow, thanks for the pics. My question is the split in the upper left corner is too big for my stove, how would you resplit it using the 4 way? I've considered making one too and from what I see you have to hold the bigger split piece up as it's being resplit otherwise you end up with slivers which is what Jnap has experienced too.

That particular piece had a "foot" so it is an anomaly. Lets presume I have just split a 14" round. If I had turned the 4 way on its 12" side, I'd have a 2 6" pieces and 2 8" pieces. If I run the 8" piece thru, I'd have 2 6" pieces and 2 2" pieces which some may consider slivers. If I turn the 4 way on its 10" side, now I really have an 8" wedge. I'll run the 14" through this and I have 2 4" splits and 2 10" splits. I run the 10" through again and I have 2 4" splits and 2 6" splits which is fine for my stove. If 6" splits are too large for yours, I suggest building your wedge with dual size capability designed to split pieces that best fit your stove.

Interesting - thanks for the pics.

In the end I ordered the Iron & Oak 22-ton Fast Cycle Horizontal splitter. It is built the same as the 30-ton, but with a 4-inch cylinder (the 30-ton has a 5-inch cylinder) that gives it the fast cycle, i.e., it has the same engine options (mine will have the 9 HP Robins engine) and the same 16 GPM pump as the 30-ton model. It's supposed to be delivered today - can't wait. I've got a bunch of rounds that need splitting, and a couple of more trees to fell that will need splitting as well. So it's going to get a good workout in the next couple of weeks.

I decided not to get the Iron & Oak 4-way wedge - $300 was just too much to swallow at this point. I'm hoping with the fast cycle model that I won't miss not having a 4-way wedge. We'll see. It's good to know there is another 4-way wedge option at a lower price point so thanks for the heads up on that.

Congrats on the splitter. The Robin engine is great. Have the same engine on my leaf blower. Never had to pull it more than twice. If you are splitting every year and its in the 3-5 cord amounts, you will not know what you are missing by not getting it. If you do ever get it, you'll kick yourself for not getting it sooner. They are more than twice as fast as not having it.

I don't hold any piece of wood up. It takes 1 second to pull it off. The best piece of advice is to vary the wedge size where one flip gives you a different size split than the other. You can taylor make your wedge dependent on the wood size you need to fit your stove. Mine started off as a 12". I cut 2" off one end with a jig saw. If I have a big piece to split of say 14", the wedge seeks its own level. If 7" is too large, run it through again as its the previous log holding up the wedge for you. If i split the same 14" round with the 8" side, now I have to just run the top 10" pieces thru to get 4 and 6" splits. 6" splits fit my stove just fine. 4 ways are just too time saving for me not to have one. One handles wood so much less and piles build so much faster its unbelievable.

Congrats on the splitter. The Robin engine is great. Have the same engine on my leaf blower. Never had to pull it more than twice. If you are splitting every year and its in the 3-5 cord amounts, you will not know what you are missing by not getting it. If you do ever get it, you'll kick yourself for not getting it sooner. They are more than twice as fast as not having it.
Just found out that it won't be delivered until tomorrow. It's sitting in a depot 15 miles from here waiting for a local truck to pick it up and deliver it. Oh, well. :frown:

Thanks, arrow, for the feedback on the Robin engine. I would have preferred the Honda since I have had good experience with the GX390 on my 2-wheel tractor, but I could not see paying $350 extra for that option. Seems like most outdoor power equipment mfrs. gouge you for the Honda if it is an option. I can buy a brand new GX270 engine, which is the one Iron & Oaks offers on my splitter, for about $400 + $14 shipping. Something is wrong with this picture - almost as if the base Briggs Vanguard engine was worth almost nothing. I guess they do it because they can.

I will be splitting only 4 or 5 cords max each year. This is for my personal use only; I'm not in the business (although my son will be "renting" it for use in the Outdoor Adventure Park he manages; he'll be doing a cord every month or two.)

OTOH, I imagine that I may eventually succumb and get the 4-way some year in the future. It just wasn't in the budget this year.

Last edited:
Just found out that it won't be delivered until tomorrow. It's sitting in a depot 15 miles from here waiting for a local truck to pick it up and deliver it. Oh, well. :frown:

Thanks, arrow, for the feedback on the Robin engine. I would have preferred the Honda since I have had good experience with the GX390 on my 2-wheel tractor, but I could not see paying $350 extra for that option. Seems like most outdoor power equipment mfrs. gouge you for the Honda if it is an option. I can buy a brand new GX270 engine, which is the one Iron & Oaks offers on my splitter, for about $400 + $14 shipping. Something is wrong with this picture - almost as if the base Briggs Vanguard engine was worth almost nothing. I guess they do it because they can.

I will be splitting only 4 or 5 cords max each year. This is for my personal use only; I'm not in the business (although my son will be "renting" it for use in the Outdoor Adventure Park he manages; he'll be doing a cord every month or two.)

OTOH, I imagine that I may eventually succumb and get the 4-way some year in the future. It just wasn't in the budget this year.

I know what you mean. Honda does make a good engine however anything with a Honda engine makes you believe that it has been kissed by the gods and thus worth the premium and pity the fool if you don't pay for it. The Robin engine is just as good. Back in the day, the Robin/Wisconsin engine was the finest stationary engine you could buy. Robin then teamed up with Subaru and now they stand on their own with one heck of a legacy. Heck, I even have a Briggs IC engine on my splitter that was supposed to be a junk engine because of oil leaks. It does leak but it starts up easily season after season, purrs through 5 cords of wood per year while using a 4 way and has been doing this for the last 15 years. The Honda GC motor that came with my pressure washer gave up the ghost way before my same cost splitter engine with not nearly a quarter of the usage of the Briggs.

all my splitters have Honda engine its worth the money

So if and when my Robin engine bites the dust out of warranty, I can buy a new Honda engine for not too much more than what I would have paid for it as an extra-cost option. Meantime I get to keep the change, or spend it on other things.

Oh yeah, and the Robin has a 5 year warranty, vs. Honda's 3 year warranty.

OTOH, both Arrow and the folks I bought my Iron & Oak splitter from agree that the Robin is every bit as good as the Honda. We'll see. But my guess is they wouldn't offer a 5 year warranty if they had a lot of early engine failures.

So if and when my Robin engine bites the dust out of warranty, I can buy a new Honda engine for not too much more than what I would have paid for it as an extra-cost option. Meantime I get to keep the change, or spend it on other things.

Oh yeah, and the Robin has a 5 year warranty, vs. Honda's 3 year warranty.

OTOH, both Arrow and the folks I bought my Iron & Oak splitter from agree that the Robin is every bit as good as the Honda. We'll see. But my guess is they wouldn't offer a 5 year warranty if they had a lot of early engine failures.

well wen its bites the dust get one i split about 700 cords with it 1 pull its starts up

Tomtrees, I'll do that - promise. I like Honda engines; just don't like paying that much just for the upgrade. Heck, the GX390 on my BCS 2-wheel tractor starts first pull almost every time after 7 years of hard use, so you don't have to convince me. In fact I just checked the valve clearances last week on that baby - never been adjusted and they're still within specs.

OTOH, I couldn't stomach goin' with the base B&S engine. They're supposed to be better these days - at least their commercial model - but I've got bad vibes with Briggs based on past experience.

Latest posts

Back