Aftermarket Cylinder... good and bad... the Truth!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone offering a quad port kit to replace a dual port kit?

Can you give us a run time ie: how many years in production and total number of saws produced as a MS361 model? I'd like to know what is the total estimated number you come up with. If the saw was discontinued for other than EPA emissions reasons I'd like to know why? I think I may already have found the answer to that, just maybe.

The MS361 was the last new model Stihl introduced before they entered the "strato" age, and also the only non-strato quad transfer Stihl. If memory serves, it was introduced some time in 2003 (it was not in the catalog for that year, but was in the 2004 one). The US version was slightly "detuned" from the outset for EPA reasons, compared to other versions. The parts that were different were the muffler and the cylinder.

It was replaced by the 362 a few years later, no doubt for EPA reasons only (I don't remember exactly when - maybe 2008 or 2009?).

When combining the relatively short production period with the fact that it was a 60cc pro saw (a size often regarded as "in-between"), it is reasonable to assume that the total number made was not really high.

Of course I can't estimate a total number.

Edit, I forgot to answer your initial question - I believe the answer is no, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Time for everyone to dust off their cameras. I'll be clearing the bench tonight and setting up for some pics this week. I will be posting box picks and suppliers names now. We will get to the bottom of this fiasco once and for all. I dought anybody will have someone new to add but see who sells what is going to be a learning curve for some of us.

I have yet to see anyone beat the pricing and parts supplied in the OP original post here. That is a huge plus if the quality is there.

I'm not much worried about bolt on super clean parts as most of my stuff will get lightly massaged at the least. What I don't want is scary stuff out of the box :dizzy:. For the rest of you "Plug and Play" guys it will be a fine week indeed.

Oh btw I have some clam shells AM and OEM ready to get the numbers taken down :) Had to throw that in knowing the SawTroll and several others will be reading it :msp_w00t:

WatonsonR, get the aftermarket mfgs to use EDM to final cut the exhaust, intake and transfers making them look pretty like Echo, some think that equates to better performance, than hand grinding the bevels like Mahle and most aftermarket jugs.

WatonsonR, get the aftermarket mfgs to use EDM to final cut the exhaust, intake and transfers making them look pretty like Echo, some think that equates to better performance, than hand grinding the bevels like Mahle and most aftermarket jugs.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
i don't mind if there beveled with bamboo sticks in the woods.....as long as they are advertised that way and priced accordingly.
sub par manufacturing with full disclosure and low price is fine by me those parts have their place. but sub par manufacturing with a high sticker price and hoodwinking customers is where i get turned off.

last time i checked those pretty little OEM echo cylinders were not far above AM prices. which is why i haven't seen many echo kits vs other manufacturers high$$ OEM jugs. we are really not far off from having AM "ported" jugs to order with more timing and a flatter squish. i would try one in a heartbeat.

can't we have one thread without stepping on echo? really?

Good idea. As long as there's no conflict of interest with sponsors I don't see any problem with this.

Ok. So does A, B, or C make the 361 kit I bought from a non-sponsor that is also the same kit that is sold by Bailey's? And who unequivocally determines that? Then who owns up with the explanation for the inconsistencies in quality among the various vendors who actually happen to be AS sponsors, not to mention the vendors who sell the same kits who aren't AS sponsors whose same products are being represented by the same reviews?

Sounds like a real bag o' snakes to me. And way overdue! It's been way too civilized around here for the last twenty minutes.

:popcorn:

As long as it stays civilized this thread can roll. If it turns into another dog fight and blame shifting mess....it's gone.

......I might ad....No stirring!:msp_w00t:

stirringthepot.jpg

As long as it stays civilized this thread can roll. If it turns into another dog fight and blame shifting mess....it's gone.

I asked a couple of legitimate questions...in the most civilized and non-sarcastic manner I could muster under the circumstances.

Guess the bigger question seems to be, "where's the popcorn"?

Gofigger.

Back