Aftermarket Cylinder... good and bad... the Truth!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The fact that you have a Tecomec kit available for the MS-361 is one cool deal.

I wonder why Tecomic only does the 50mm P/C for the 266/268/272 saws (rather than 52mm stock size for the 272) and the 48mm P/C for the 365/371/371 saws (rather than 50mm stock bore for a 371/372).

I'd like to see a 54mm top end for the 266/268/272 saws. Not sure if it'd be practical.....but it'd be fun to try out. 78cc 266/288/272XP anyone? :D

I would also like to see the Tecomic kits for the 181/281/288 saws (in the 54mm 288XP bore size) and 1100/2100/298/2101 saws. Maybe I've said this before.........:msp_rolleyes:

On another note, showing how these topends can run and how they hold up after porting and squish band cutting, does nothing to validate any quality improvements in these kits. You're only re-using the basic casting and the bore plating. Bore plating has not been a major contributor to the failure of these kits. Bailey's addressed that long ago when they went to NiSi, instead of chrome. This thread is about replacement topend quality as they come from the factory, not about what they can be turned into by an experience engine builder/porter? I don't think anyone will deny what the likes of Mastermind and Jacob J can turn these into.

I have been told that some newer cylinders are chrome bore oem, ms361 being one of them.

maybe a shot in the dark:

hope is that a CASTING/FOUNDRY/MANUFACTURER located and made here IN THE USA by chance reads this entire thread and contacts the parts suppliers on this site for work orders. (or vice-versa).

-OMB

ps. if specific requests could be made for custom cylinder port layouts/pistons/rings/clips etc., and maybe manufacture a line hi-performance versions based on porters/modifyers/builders port time areas, of "signature series parts".

maybe a shot in the dark:

hope is that a CASTING/FOUNDRY/MANUFACTURER located and made here IN THE USA by chance reads this entire thread and contacts the parts suppliers on this site for work orders. (or vice-versa).

-OMB

ps. if specific requests could be made for custom cylinder port layouts/pistons/rings/clips etc., and maybe manufacture a line hi-performance versions based on porters/modifyers/builders port time areas, of "signature series parts".

Nobody makes these in the US. What's really bad is that they are buying eachothers cylinders and pistons,adding rings and calling it "there's". Bad cylinders are bad cylinders and just because it has your name on it doesn't make it any better! Look very carefully at the aftermarket piston thread just started, they are both GOLF pistons. You can even see the casting are almost the same near the pin opening pictured and the name GOLF is there, just badly cast. I was hoping he'd get good piston out of it for his effort. Just need to figure out how to compensate him for it!

This thread is killing some if you!

It was not started to announce a build off, an us against them or whatever you may think along those lines but to tell you the world is changing and that we must change with it. If we are presented an opportunity, it carries an obligation to shape that change. What's really distressing to me is that a good portion of you think there isn't any recourse. Change happens with the right pressure in the right spot... Often with a kick in the pants and those that don't adapt, change or overcome........ inevitably become extinct.

Nobody makes these in the US. What's really bad is that they are buying eachothers cylinders and pistons,adding rings and calling it "there's". Bad cylinders are bad cylinders and just because it has your name on it doesn't make it any better! Look very carefully at the aftermarket piston thread just started, they are both GOLF pistons. You can even see the casting are almost the same near the pin opening pictured and the name GOLF is there, just badly cast. I was hoping he'd get good piston out of it for his effort. Just need to figure out how to compensate him for it!

As an aside, a few people here have been hanging their hats on OEM based on the argument that the want something they can simply bolt on.

I don't care who makes it...a piston and cylinder, in my view, are NEVER bolt-and-go parts.

Latest posts

Back