Aftermarket fuel line issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I do cars, lawnmowers, plumbing, electrical and just about everything that needs fixing. I did hire a roofer this year though, wife says we're too old to get on the house this time..

Same for me. I can honestly say that aside from tires, I have never taken a vehicle to a shop for a repair. I do all my own home repairs as well. The wife is glad that I am able to do all that I do, because she would hate to know how much we would have to had to have spent for everything I have done for us. I enjoy working with my hands anyways.

Thread showing others done. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/stihl/stihl-ms250-quick-fuel-line-fix/

ms250redneckfuelline010_zpsa6cb3e31.jpg

ms250redneckfuelline005_zps4f408924.jpg

I've used two of the chinese fuel lines on MS250's. Ok so far. The dimensions are a bit different. I gave up on aftermarket air filters.

I have been cursing the ms290 because it ran and then wouldn’t start. Ran with fuel poured in. EVENTUALLY figured out the line was kinked and ended up here. I’m not waiting for a genuine line to turn. I have a bit of 4mm OD copper tube that I heated with a torch, gently bent when cherry red and allowed to cool. Cut so that it just covered the bend and inserted it into the fuel line. Worked a treat.
71D90765-38F3-4578-85BE-7C8E04D00CBA.jpeg373898E3-01C4-4642-AC0F-BD65F95DA109.jpeg

Attachments

• D0CDD0D4-87D4-4D11-97EE-2CF71A7FF6BC.jpeg
    D0CDD0D4-87D4-4D11-97EE-2CF71A7FF6BC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Best way I find to do it is order the known junk parts so it helps support the Chinese economy plus no need to improve the quality, upon arrival - discard and go down to my local saw shop and buy the oem gas lines etc so I don't have to spend so much time doing the same job twice or have to spend time remanufacturing their mistakes. From my experience by trial and error I got to knowing so far what is ok and what I would not buy again - IMO

Best way I find to do it is order the known junk parts so it helps support the Chinese economy plus no need to improve the quality, upon arrival - discard and go down to my local saw shop and buy the oem gas lines etc so I don't have to spend so much time doing the same job twice or have to spend time remanufacturing their mistakes. From my experience by trial and error I got to knowing so far what is ok and what I would not buy again - IMO
I don't believe it's the Chinese economy that needs help at this time. Ours is quickly going down the drain and I see few signs of recovery...

First off this is not an AM parts bashing thread, just my observations after replacing a bad fuel line with AM fuel line. Upon inspection of the new coiled line, I noticed it has a distinct oval,semi flattened shape to it and is very soft and pliable. The new line slid onto the fuel filter with almost no effort, and the other end slid onto the carb fitting with even less effort. After starting the saw and running it for a while, I throttled up the saw and it acted like it was starving for gas. Zip tied the carb end fitting and smeared grease on the through tank hole. Still starving for fuel. Checked out the line and found it flatter than when it was first installed. Looked like it was restricting the fuel flow. Ordered an OEM line, installed it, noticed it was stiffer line with a smaller diameter opening and it fit tighter on the carb and through the tank opening. Filter really had to be twisted to get it on the line. Saw started and ran full throttle like a new one. The AM line was indicated as a replacement for the exact number OEM fuel line that was called for on my 346xp. The AM fuel line was Hyway. Anyone else had a similar experience, or is it just me?
I bought a lot of 10 once. Tried 3 or 4 of them. 15 minutes is about the longest 1 lasted. They got soft quickly when exposed to fuel and the pick up fell off.

Stihl make a great product but that fuel line set up is definitely a poor design. You can see it trying to kink as you push in the carb. Given that a lot of the other hoses are moulded including the end of the pick up line, I’m surprised they didn’t mould in an elbow given how tight that turn is.

So I did this to get the 390 back out to the customer with his blessings.

Bye bye stihl molded line and fuel filters. ;)

View attachment 504576 View attachment 504577

I've done this and it works well. Stihl also makes two sizes of stiffer black fuel line. I use the larger size. The original worn out (or AM) fuel line is cut away flush with each side of the grommet. I use a hole cutting punch to make a hole just a hair smaller than the new, smooth fuel line. Cut roughly the length of line you will need and thread it through the grommet; should be a snug fit. Put a dab of sealant on the line just below the grommet and pull the line through so the sealant is drawn into the grommet. Wipe off excess. Then put a dab of sealant in the grommet groove and press it into the tank. The line fits the brass carb intake line well. Use a fuel filter with the small diameter inlet. The sealant may not be necessary, but often the old grommet doesn't fit as snugly as when it was new.

Yep, I do cars, lawnmowers, plumbing, electrical and just about everything that needs fixing. I did hire a roofer this year though, wife says we're too old to get on the house this time..
I hear ya, decades ago I built a 48 x24’ addition on the house, I did framing, plumbing (new full bath), all the electricity. Me and my two young sons built it all. Fast forward today now I pay to have it done. I did my own car and truck repairs too. My monster garage cost me 21 k.

Can’t do anything my boys do it.

Back