age old log splitter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torence 20

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok so i know this has been discussed time and time again or similar operation anyway so ive been reading and reading and more and all im doing is confusing myself. so i have a log splitter nothing fancy and im wanting to add a log lift to it. i have a brand new open center valve with detent. it is a power up gravity down so can i plumb this valve into a series with the original valve. i.e from the pump to the original valve in then out of valve into new valve out of new valve into filter back to tank..? can this be done or would i need to use a diverter valve? will a power up gravity down even work?

I do not believe a detent valve is a good choice for a log lift. If your hand comes off the valve, example: the round shifts or your in a pinch point, you'll want the lift to stop. Splitter valve, yes, with detent return. My conveyor has what might be a detent on the hydraulic motor for the up direction, spring loaded to neutral in the down direction. A log lift with detent sounds like a bad idea, just my opinion from using a log lift. Perhaps your detent valve could be adjusted to be non-functional or to trip with very light pressure.

I agree on not using a detent valve for a log lift. It might be possible to remove the detent from the thing tho...

As for hooking it in series on the return line, it will work. The hydraulic purist will groan, and mutter about using a power beyond valve.
Both of my self propelled splitters are plumbed that way, and it works ok. Probably would not wan to load the second valve heavily as you are backing up pressure against the outlet port, but for a log life, the load would be low. When in neutral the oil merrily just flows to the tank...

i guess i dont see the problem with a detent on the log lift it is going to be opposite side of myself and its going to be gravity down not power. they will never be used at the same time, i will keep it locked in the up postion as a table while splitting then it will be put in the detent down while walking around the other side of it to roll the next log over,but aside from that plumbing it that way wont hurt anything rite? and there is no advantage to plumbing to the original valve first other then the fact its already done and wont have to be taken apart...

ok well never mind on the detent its not a detent valve it says its a 3 way spring return valve

Back