age old question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick c

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
new to this site ,looking to replace my p.o.s echo 340t although most of you are stihl fans what is the next best saw?? i have a jonsered dealer close by
and they have a nice little saw with loads of hp( 2.3) compared to stihl 200 at
(1.9) what do you guys think??

Jonsered 2139

Hello,
I bought a 2139 to replace my 330t echo saw. I am very happy with jonsered products. Also bought a 2157 jonsered. If your dealer is reputable I wouldn't think twice about buying one.

its unbelieveable the amount of people that rag on a johnny--and they are quality saws--and always have been. and have not heard of a model to avoid--unlike some stihls--sheesh--

Well there is probably something to be said about the fact the 95% of the climbers say 200t is the way to go.

MS 200T Seen in the hands of a Pro in a tree near you!

You could buy 2 or 3 brand X for the price of a 200T, or 50 hatchets as far as that goes. Nothing will get you into the next tree quicker, NOTHING.

not ragging on Jonsered.

its unbelieveable the amount of people that rag on a johnny--and they are quality saws--and always have been. and have not heard of a model to avoid--unlike some stihls--sheesh--

but since they are a Husky,which i dearly love,their top handles suck.

the only Stihl chainsaws i own are my climbing saws. i have tried the Husky's,Solo's,Dolmar's,Tanaka's and Stihl makes the best top handle saws without a doubt.

iif you haven't tried an ms 200t,you really need to get a dealer to let you try one (some will) or see if there is a member on here in you area who is willing to let you try his.

don't bash it based on the price because once you use one,the price won't matter.

thanks fishercat thats the reply i was looking for, some one who has used different saws and not just ,stihl is the best because!

Ms192t

I have an MS 192T for packing on my trail bike. I'm not an arborist who uses it in the tree every day, so the price was an issue when I bought it. I fully realized it wouldn't be a screamer like the 200. But the first time I rode with it I ended up clearing 12 trees out of the trail, some of which were about 24" in diameter. I have a 14" bar on it with 3/8 picco and had to cut from both sides. Let me tell, you, although it wasn't fast, it was MUCH faster than cutting with the hand saw my buddy carried! Anyway, are there any mods that can be done to the 192 to get more power, like muffler/porting?

Thanks,
Alpo

i wanted to love the 338xpt.trust me,i did.

thanks fishercat thats the reply i was looking for, some one who has used different saws and not just ,stihl is the best because!

it just ain't what i am used to from Husky.how much different can the J red be besides the color?

my buddy bought the Solo because of price and it had more HP on paper.i tried it,it's pathetic.

again,i would take my 192T over anything else if i couldn't get the 200.

i just took down 11 big white pines with the 192 this week,never ever took the 200 out of the truck.

Stihl-O-Matic will vouch for my 192 being a runner and i haven't done anything to it,not even a muffler mod.just readjusted the carb to where i like it.

Stihl is the best in tophandles.i will admit it.

i hate to admit it,but i have to because i'm an honest guy and a straight shooter.

as for chainsaws in general,Huskies walk all over them.

if i was a liberal,i would tell you Stihl makes the best of everything but i am not so i won't.

hey treeslayer. got another phone up and running. looks like it shoots some good pics too. came with a cord that goes right to the computer. gonna have to load it up with some pics. i got a vid from that tree you guys did that was all over the roof. was that fireman's number? gonna have to put him on the contact list and send him something. lol. hopefully all those other vids and pics can get transfered over to this phone otherwise i am pissed.

sorry to go off topic on this thread. lol.

you pulled that whole baffle and spark arrestor out right? what you mean the screen needed to be cut out? take the limiter cap off the H screw too when you go to richen it up. use needle nose pliers and pull straight out and not at an angle otherwise you can bung up the screw itself.

Johnsies I've used almost every top handle saw available in the US, and agree that the 200 i the best production saw.My beef with the Husky is the switch setup, sparkplug cover that breaks and causes belly shock, and the way the exhaust ports onto my forearm.Aside from the 200, I prefer most husky saws for price to performance ratios. I only bought a Stihl limbing saw because I could not find a good service shop near me. The 260 with a Bailey's narrow-curf setup makes it almost as goo as my old 346.

Back