age/size to let 'the kids' start using ax/cs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
What have you used as a guideline for letting your kids/grandkids use axes and chainsaws? Some acquaintences let their kids use c/s at 10 YO.

Had own small axe when 5 YO, Pop's rule was if you can hold the axe with one hand by the tip of the handle with it and your arm staight out for 1 minute, you can use it.

Family never rich enough when a kid myself to use a c/s - finally got one in early 60's in my 20's, 3 weeks wages!. 16 YO is when own kids got to use a light 16" saw.

Well shoot JimL., aren`t you only twelve now? Just kidding, but you are a young pup.

Russ

I started using an ax when I was 5 or 6 and a chain saw when I was 10 haven't put them down since!!

As to letting a kid use one? In my opinion depends on the kid, does he have any common sense??? Is he cordnated? There is an over abundance of people 20 and over who should NEVER pick up any saw that requires a power sorce nor an ax!:eek:

Ryan's right - depends on the kid and past influences.

Mine's 18, been my groundie for a few years. At 12, like his dad, he "stole" my truck to deliver papers to neighbor's yards. Watched a valve-job at 13 and dropped a new engine in at 15. The feds required him to defend himself at 16, fatally and justifiably shooting a contracted troublemaker. He'll live with that the rest of his life, and a chain saw is up there with a 9mm.

We worry about them, that's our job. But "protecting" them from reality is a bit like lying. I don't want him to enter a situation unprepared like we so often did. I trust him now when he leaves the home, trust him to make judgement on his own merits, there comes a time when they venture out.

He can handle the 066 on down, knows ropes and knots, and can tape a gaping wound shut instead of passing-out. He'll never see service in the Armed Forces but will fight to defend his country appropriately. He loves animals and helps people needing it. Thinks God is a tangible thing not required to know right from wrong, and doesn't tolerate bullies, at all.

Give them the benefit of a doubt and be patient, ready to show over and again. They are our sons and daughters, it's our responsibility.

Latest posts

Back