Ahead of Saturday's flood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawmute

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I managed to get four loads of good fire wood out of the bottom before high water hit here in last Saturday's monsoon in the Ouachita Mountain foothills east of Hot Springs. Two loads of split Hickory and two loads of Ash, about a cord & a half or so. Stuck my 4wd Kubota on the first load in an old channel and had to dump the load to get out. It was iffy even then. Had the backhoe with splitter on and it was all right down in the mud.

Hate that cold feeling in the pit of your stomach - like you swallowed a big chunk of ice- when you get your hiney in a crack and don't know if you can pry it loose! Got across the old channel and reloaded the wood, then hauled it and 3 more loads. It would have been in Louisiana by now. Mainly I got the tractor out.

My deerstand below the house in the bottom
deerstand2.jpg

DSC01313.jpg

There's a nice 1.5 ac field in here that I cleared over the last few years. Gets a good soaking every so often! A large hickory I've been cutting up/splitting. Maybe those chunks (center of photo) will stick around! About 20 yards beyond those chunks I had a cord of split Hickory that I got out in the nick of time.

hickory1.jpg

Last edited:
is that flooding normal this time of the year?

With all of the weird weather the last few years (Al Gore started it!) I have no idea what's normal! On Christmas eve a few years ago I passed a little store on the way home. Fifteen minutes later a tornado came up the river next to it and blew it away. Seems like more violent winter weather than in the past....We live 100ft. above this stream and it can get much higher.

It's about 8ft. up on my little tower stand in the pic.

Frank

That must have been a blast trying to get the tractor out and knowing a flood is on the way:jawdrop:

Glad you got her out

Yep I know that cold feeling your talking about Claw. I was crossing over too an island at the end of my road that you can usually drive too at low tide. There's still a creek to cross but it's only about 100 yrds across too the island and the creek is usually only a couple feet deep at low water. Well I started across and hit the creek a bit too fast, splashed up some water and the truck just stalled out! Crank it, nothing.....so finally I have to jump out, trek down too my buddies farm on the island about 2 1/2 miles away and all the time wondering when high waters coming too wash my truck out too sea! Sort of like conking out on the railroad tracks. Anyways, I got there and we cruised back on his tractor and yanked the truck up onto shore with a little bit of time too spare. Had to wait for 5 hours over there too get it back too the mainland though. Makes ya wonder if the insurance payment went out on time :greenchainsaw: Great pix by the way!:cheers:

Back