Ahem...mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what do you think?

• right on Sanborn, I'm tired of the BS

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Well it is getting worse, but not as bad as it has been

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • What nastyness? Go away and let us have our fun!

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Ok, I was a bad boy, and I'll try to be better.

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
Now let me express my ire with some of the responces here.

jocular critique is one thing, but many of the posts in this thread are downright childish and lend no value to the discussion.

I have PM'd some of you on this now and in the not to distant past. We do not expect perfect decorum out of a bunch of guys who sweat and bleed for thier bread, but we do expect you to act better then some kids on a playground.

The saw forum has had a some people booted, we have not had to do that here....yet. (Unless you count the real SpikedSupra, not Mike incognito)

So please start acting a bit closer to your ages, so i don't have to start getting heavy handed again:(

Mr. Moderator

modeation

I've seen worse but as long as there is good information to be gleaned from most of the posts I'll come back to read more. I do not envy the moderators job.

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Now let me express my ire with some of the responces here.
Some of the responses where? What thread?
Overall there's a lot more off-topic playground stuff than I'd like to see; maybe it's my advanced age speaking. But it's just more fluff to wade through to get useful or at least interesting information, no great harm done.

If guys use this as a playground that's a good svc in a way, keeps them out of the bars or worse? Still, not sure the sponsors will agree that's the way to use this place.

jps let your ire settle before your Irish gets up and you do something rash.

OH NO!!

JPS did a post with no spelling errors- he must be serious :D

I think that some of the wording that people use (for example @$#%....) doesn't need to used. If words like that are resorted to then I wonder how they talk to customers?? Surely there are better words to describe excrement happening that wouldn't offend someones grandmother, besides that, it's fun to increase your vocabulary. Sometimes you can really tell someone off without them having a clue! Then once you've vented you can get to back to business knowing that you have just gone over their head and maintained calm.

On the whole though, I have learned a lot since getting on AS and don't plan on leaving because of a few inconsiderates.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
LMAO DadF-JPS had 2 spelling errors in his post.
Way off Brian, 4 spelling errors plus numerous minor grammatical and syntactical offenses. But hey, this is chat not a term paper.

I do recall jps's "kneejerk bombast" attack post, way beyond jocular critique imo. but all in all I agree w him and DadF, namecalling and pottymouth talk are not even tolerated on the playgrounds I work on, and degrade the discourse here below a usable level.

A light moderating hand is unfortunately called for, thanks to the moderators for their efforts.

I haven't been on the board as much lately so maybe I missed something significant. There are a couple of "in your face" newbies that sort of invite flaming but I haven't noticed it getting out of hand. I have days when I loosen the reins on my sarcasm. I try to keep things civil-when I'm getting in a few digs it is meant to be fun. I'll agree that some of the posts (perhaps including mine) don't read as friendly banter and discourse. FWIW, it seems that the site gets more interesting when we have to wade through a little nonsense. When an entire thread is serious it doesn't seem to generate as much interest.

I'll try to be good John. :angel:

i think if there is a running undercurrent it is best to be light humor than aggressive put downs, pushing and shoving.

i think JP does a great job, a big guy with a light hand; is quite a trick, and dynamic range!

Originally posted by Art Martin
I want to thank the people on the Arboristsite for all the nice comments about me that they have posted over the past several years. I have met many great people on this site and have formed some life-long friendships because of this site.

However, lately, there has been too much turmoil, dissension and distraction. This has gone too far. It has become a personal attack by a small group of people .....

As long as this bunch is allowed to participate on this fine site and spew their hatred and poison the minds of people who are just trying to improve and enhance their knowledge about chains and chainsaws, nothing productive will be gained. This same tribe ruined the Fort Bragg Paul Bunyan Days Logging Show in just two years. That show had been the highlight of the Paul Bunyan Days since 1939. They took it over and now it is gone.

Perhaps these people will eventually go away and the Arboristsite will recover to the fine level for exchanging ideas and knowledge that it has been. In my case, I guess they accomplished what they set out to do. I don’t want this to spill over and ruin the rest of the site. I will bid my friends farewell and will continue to help people on a personal level.

Art Martin
his last post of 9-15 this year, a real loss; to the chainsaw forum, so he went home to the peace away from here with his generations of experience in tow.

Originally posted by dbabcock
I think it's become fairly evident to me from talking to various people, that Art Martin could easily keep his own website going if he were to choose to do so. Because he won't, I thought it would be very informative for Art to have his own thread where he could talk some more about the way things used to be in the old days. He has many pictures that we can get posted one way or the other.

I'm reposting the picture that Gypo posted of Art sawing a big tree. Ken says that there are many things about this process that only Art knows: like when you're 15 feet in the air on a springboard and the tree starts to go, what do you do with yourself and a 60-70 lb. saw. Or maybe: what happens when the 1/2" chain in a 6 foot bar decides to get jammed and the gear drive saw bucks you off the board.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Art!:blob2:

The thread started by DBA about Art's times has become over 400 posts, extending 11 pages and 26,000 views. That's volume!

(The attatchment is pix from DBA, Gypo etc. of Art's times, a guy that should have had his own tin type postage stamps celebrating a spirit and way of life even few of us could chase, has left here over stuff like JP refers to....)

July 27-Quote Me

....But, i say we have all failed, that if 2 say those things about 'us', 20+ have left without the respect of such a salutation/explanation; why would they bother? So as these 2 raise their hands to be counted, my heart sinks; for i have settled here, to give the most to the most (people), and have those people making me think as i due they, that leverage has dissipated.

i reach deep to bring forth some of the things i painstakiningly have wrought, almost like a deep soul searching and assembly of my experience, i need meditative kinda peace for that as others likewise that try hard to think clearly etc.

may 8:

Gentleman let this table be round.

We are all used to being warriors against the odds in the field; commanding cooperation of giants -the largest living organisms to wander our earth. Wee seem to be a breed that locks horns with the bull, and thru conniving and determination of body, mind and soul; just don't give up before it does, ushering its nose to the ground with control and grace. As wee ants stand before these matchstix! (One of my favorites Murph!)

There aren't many like us, if you can't wave or nod passing another crew on the road a block from the job; and end up up side down in the air; Who ya gonna call? i'm sorry to say, that i know exacly what Nick is talking about; and long before now.

All that aggresive energy, can be used in its place not hear. Here ye, can tip visors and toss these things around. Fold in things and views, see if they work for you.

Peace.

jun 30

i see peoples wanting to be looked on as polished profession-alls; carrying on like they were loud, rowdy roughnecks behind a seedy bar; trying to intimidate and prove each other out. i guess that is the ugly side of male competition; but think it should be channeled and controlled better! The war is in the fieds against gravity and injury i feel; not against one of the few on the planet that could rescue you in an emergency the way we push the odds. Nor against the only, almost chosen; few that can share and expand your own experiences; and also can do so through this medium.

i see the possibility of quiet thinkers and learners (with their own enrichening contributions) shying away from these loud, unsettling abashments; - short changing all. For i have felt these tides in myself; but have chosen to stay in the thin times; but what of those i try now (and previously) to speak for?

i think this board is great; and perhaps haven't thanked ya for it lately. But; i think it is great and dynamic enough, to try to be just this good positive, shining thing you have birthed, without the rest. i hope i am never really taken negatively, all ways and always try to peacefully present and explore. Ok lil'sarcasm and word-play for balance too!

Jul 07:
If Y'all wanna be the Supremes,

You must learn

the write tune.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T;

What it really means to me;

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Jul 10:
Well, let's not give Darin anything else to regret for what he has brought us!

Whoa, deja vous to ya too, the quotes of mine, those dates are from last year!

Last edited:
I’m sorry did I miss some of Stumper’s less than polite posts? After all the guy is a shoe in for the lead role in Mary had a little lamb the Broadway musical!

Keep up the good job JPS! We know that this site needs more sponsors to keep her running. A few other good forums have folded this year, we loose the sponsor and there will be no more AS.

Originally posted by SilverBlue

Keep up the good job JPS! We know that this site needs more sponsors to keep her running. A few other good forums have folded this year, we loose the sponsor and there will be no more AS.

Why can't we, as members, offer contributations to help AS? :confused:

I was thinking of having certain forums open to contributing members.Heck I learned all about the taughtline hitch and natural crotches here, ya can't buy that kinda info in books!

Justin, that's for the Mrs. to decide ;) but just curious... who would you get to play Mary?
naughty.gif

I have no problem with the exteranious discourse such as Rob and Justin are having.

It is when people attack others because they do not accept anothers method. When discussion devolves to denegration then it is out of place in this forum.

Especially when the people are new.

One of the things that gets me the most is that some who ar most likely to offend are the same who are most likely to take offence when the fecal matter is projected in their direction.

As a matter of fact... Yes! Send the money in unmarked bills to "Darin" or JPS PO Box 2000 Mississauga Ontario Canada once payment is received not only will you have free range, you will also receive a free arborist catalog for 2004!

Right on MB
USS Orion (As-18) Sardinia Italy 86-88
USS Holland (AS-32) Charleston SC 88-90
CINCLANTFLTHQ Norfolk, Va 90-94

Sgt with the 210th MP CO. Franklin NC. 96-99
Spc. with 190th Mp.Co 03-current
lol
I been stuck on base for over 6 months .Spending cassh soon!
Soon I'll need a new 1 ton dump
A Chipper (hopefully a 10 inch Morbark)
1 Hot saw Husky as big as they make
1 Sthil 44
1Husky 141 Climbing
Ill more than glad to send this board some cash.
Is that the correct address.
I mean Take a digital pic of clients upload here same day get opinions.
Hey Its worth it to me.
Hows 100 bucks a year for membership

Actually there is no membership fee at least not yet T.H. But I do think it would be a worthwhile thing to do. Not that the cash wouldn’t be nice, but we don’t want to answer the door in the middle of the night with a P.O’d Navy man standing there. I mean Butch we can handle, he can’t run that fast in his old age anymore EH?;) JPS is no problem either as long as our escape route passes by an IHOP.:rolleyes:
Myself, well just throw me a T bone steak and I’ll keep quiet for a few hours ;)

Latest posts

Back