Ahem...mm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what do you think?

• right on Sanborn, I'm tired of the BS

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Well it is getting worse, but not as bad as it has been

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • What nastyness? Go away and let us have our fun!

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Ok, I was a bad boy, and I'll try to be better.

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
I think David is right about it seriously taking away from the regular forum. There are a lot of things discussed that are informative to non treeclimbers. I work quite a bit out of buckets and do a lot of rigging as a pipefitter, but I see things here on this forum that never occured to me. I have picked up some things that woould interest people working on roofs or rope tricks that you could use in handling animals for instance. Hearing about difficulties you deal with every day is informative and I think elevates the status of the profession of arborist. I think you would be missing a lot by hiding yourseves in a closet. Even some of your bad performance is interesting. Lol!

Frank

Originally posted by David Hardman

I just dont want the climbing forum to start bleeding because you would rather be entertained by flame wars and pissing contests. Lets get real................when the dust settles........thats all it would be, its only a matter of time.

I hope the 'you' you refer isn't supposed to be me! Flame wars and urination contests hold no interest for me.

Also, by limiting the forum to members with a post count of 500+, the trolls(and lurkers) will be kept at bay. Even with that restriction that leaves 70 or so potential members.

500 posts, 300, or at least 100. Newbies should not be allowed to just crash the ChillZone, IMO.

:)

MB, my opinion was directed to anyone interested in this topic.
There are some good idea's concerning this, but I think what we have now is great.
JMO.

Originally posted by David Hardman
There are some good idea's concerning this, but I think what we have now is great. JMO.
Second that emotion. Don't see the need for it.

"Hey, if you kids wanna trade insults, do it over email or go to arboristsite where this kind of crap is common.

Please"

appeared on TreeB*zz the other day; Rocky was there for damage control etc.; but i think this is very telling and unfortunate and just the type of thing that JP and Darin try to guard against and warn about; that that is not the rep etc. they wish for their efforts etc. So if anything, perhaps the moderating isn't tight enough, perhaps like other things the farther ya let things run, the harder it is to reel them in to balanced again.

i think that the poster of that has shown themselves for the previous 4 years to be the last one to say anything cross, so that observation must have come from fairly deep i would suppose quite fairly.

Many people have tried to say that this day might come, some just left; sadly i must say; that there is no doubt the author was here at some point. It doesn't have to be boring here; but it doesn't have to be negative etc. either IMLHO.

-KC

The reason why it may be more common is there is more people. When we started this forum, there were not very many hangin' out at first. Once it became so large, you have a lot more personalities to deal with. This doesn't make it right though or should not be taken as an excuse. I am tired of the flaming wars. Its the nature of some people, but others not. Some can take a joke, some can't. I think JPS does a good job snipping what needs to be snipped. In my opinion, if it was snipped it shouldn't have been posted. For them to say its common. I would say just as common on a percentage basis. You see it more cause its a bigger forum. I would agree they should do it over email, PM's or phone. Save everyone the hassle.

A.S. RULES!
dude.gif

And I might add, if you don't have anything productive or helpful to say, keep yur trap shut. :angel:

The nerve some people have. One guy, not sure what tree site compared AS to Wal-mart and Treeb*zz to a fine specialty store. W-mart get none of my $$$,but I guess I should now. These types that complain ALL the time will ruin America,maybe already have. I have NEVER flamed on AS, but this dukester Dave??? gets me close. I come to AS to read and learn, laugh a lot, maybe throw a "one liner" out here and there and wonder just what the heck you guys look like.

How's this for a one liner? Kiss my grits! whoever you are.

Gee that felt good.:p

i've seen Dave do nothing but help people, self included, even in Proper Spiking Thread it was he the most eloquently; instead of chiding, taunting, being overwhelmed by the prospect of this guy's comments, stepped forward the most with:

"We need to be careful what we say to to this guy. If we turn him off to us he will never want to learn because he will think all us ISA guys are jerks. I sent him an email inviting him to have a look at the web board. Maybe he will learn from us."

Then, Tobe Sherrill chiming in; some else did to some extent to; later though it was said that he was one of the most politically correct of all......

i think Dave has given the industry some things, mostly the promise of more; that and an understanding of math and forces we face to keep us safe; honestly calculating what we face, better than any here might can, certainly self included! And trying to invent things to suit the needs. etc.

So it might just be that he is a quiet thinker and chose to be there and not here... i know of other people that have left here with such feelings; i think for each obvious one you see, there could be 20 ya don't or something.

i'm sorry i'm all for AS too; but i didn't accidentally post that here under the topic that JP started; about the same topic each. i certainly didn't post it to start more of the same to prove the quotation wrong. In scanning the rest of the thread, you might see it is not the first time i thought something should be said; also, how seriously JP's original topic was taken; even after clearing his throat politely and trying to treat this issue.

-KC

You are right Spyder. It was wrong to jump(I never jump), I just wanted to take up for the guy who is out there busting his arse and making a living the only way he knows how. It was the ''self gratification'' that bothered me. Can we knot have any fun here and post a pic of something one might be proud of? That is all.

I don't sweat these flare ups. There are those worry about the smallest of things, I'm not one of them.

Originally posted by monkeypuzzle
It was the ''self gratification'' that bothered me.
Me too but just for a minute. then I thought about how that phrase can be taken more than one way. It might be best when in doubt to take things the least-offensive way, since that is probably the way it was meant, or at least the most productive aspect to respond to is the best.
I think.

To give Mark some credit, he wanted the site to be an exchange of ideas, not people coming to ask him (and Tom) questions.

I would liken some of the other venues to say latin and greek, where theis site is english. Vibrent, living and growing.

That it is not just the best of the best, or strictly academic is what makes it enjoyable to me.

I still say some of y'all gotta grow up thoug;) :D :p

Monkeypuzzle,

You mixed up my metaphor.

My comparison of AS to Home Depot and TB as the corner lumberyard/hardware store is meant to illustrate two different needs being fulfilled in the market place. Neither is "better" at everything nor is that the marketing plan for either.

My intention is never to start any kind of negative comparisons. The woods is big enough for everyone.

Tom

Originally posted by Darin
The reason why it may be more common is there is more people. When we started this forum, there were not very many hangin' out at first. Once it became so large, you have a lot more personalities to deal with. This doesn't make it right though or should not be taken as an excuse. I am tired of the flaming wars. Its the nature of some people, but others not. Some can take a joke, some can't. I think JPS does a good job snipping what needs to be snipped. In my opinion, if it was snipped it shouldn't have been posted. For them to say its common. I would say just as common on a percentage basis. You see it more cause its a bigger forum. I would agree they should do it over email, PM's or phone. Save everyone the hassle.

Darin: this is your idea of a thread which shouldn't have been posted?

The I.S.A Arborist Certification program is getting recognition through at least 2 popular tree publications at local book stores. The 2 publications are written under the Ortho series, and the Sunset series, both written for homeowner tree and plant care and selection. I scanned the books written about tree pruning. Both publications in the series directly uses the International Society of Arboriculture as a primary source when searching for a qualified tree care company to work in trees for a homeowner. They also state the companies and/or individuals hired should be certified by the I.S.A. I.S.A. Arborist Certification is becoming recognized as an accepted credential for hiring qualified people to care for trees.

Joe

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Yo Guy! When are we gonna sample some of Bard's home cooking
Any day now, building up suspense...

Do they have barred owls in Louisiana? Their cry sounds like "Who cooks for you?"
I know they must have bards and dowels, in your woods; everyone does.

Latest posts

Back