Ain't she purty!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
purty.jpg

This truck was absolutely cherry when I bought it used. It was fresh out of the paint shed with narry a scratch or ding on it. She has had a hard life with me, hauled wood, lumber, gravel, rock, you name it and it was probably on there. Tailgate was dished so badly I could ahve taken a bath in it. Body is beat to pieces but the mechanicals are all A+...well, it does need a new exhaust tail pipe and the A/C needs a charge, that's about it.

The tailgate bit the bullet day before yesterday when I backed into a tree with tailgate down. Closed nicely but I couldn't get it back open. Local body shop did with tire iron and happened to have that nice replacement in its stock pile. Even has the diamond plate cover on the inside.

I hope the old gal likes her new rear view.

Harry K

What's it got for power? Hopefully, that beauty has a 300 straight 6. Treat it right with regular fluid changes and that engine will run FOREVER!

Looks exactly like my Dad's old truck except the dent was behind the rear wheel instead of in front of it. It was a great truck that he gave to me. I eventually sold it because I was only using it once every couple of months or so. It had the inline 6 with a five speed.

I used to have one that looked almost just like that,Harry, 'cept my side boards where made out of pipe and I didn't have a white tailgate.I finally gave it to my brother because his girlfriend wrecked his car and I had another truck.
I don't know what you got under the hood, but if it's a 300-6, it's in my opinion, the best motor Ford ever built.

I used to have one that looked almost just like that,Harry, 'cept my side boards where made out of pipe and I didn't have a white tailgate.I finally gave it to my brother because his girlfriend wrecked his car and I had another truck.
I don't know what you got under the hood, but if it's a 300-6, it's in my opinion, the best motor Ford ever built.

Odd way the light hits it. The tailgate has only a narrow strip of white on top then a wide panel of aluminum (starts right below the handle) I can just barely make out the dividing line over on the right.

The dent is my reminder that one shouldnot loan equipment. He pulled in and asked "was that dent there before?" :). I still scratch my head how he did it. Says he was backing up. Now on the opposite side, dented door (hit that falling a tree), front bumper dents, etc. etc. those are all mine. I call them 'badges of honor'.

One of my favorite memories with it is herding it back from the boonies about 20 miles with no clutch. Came to a stop, heard a "bang" when I punched clutch - blew the clutch slave cylinder. Good thing I knew all about double clutching - I learned that as a 14yoa on a 34 chev 1 1/2 ton.

Harry K

Last edited:
Odd way the light hits it. The tailgate has only a narrow strip of white on top then a wide panel of aluminum (starts right below the handle) I can just barely make out the dividing line over on the right.

The dent is my reminder that one shouldnot loan equipment. He pulled in and asked "was that dent there before?" :). I still scratch my head how he did it. Says he was backing up. Now on the opposite side, dented door (hit that falling a tree), front bumper dents, etc. etc. those are all mine. I call them 'badges of honor'.

One of my favorite memories with it is herding it back from the boonies about 20 miles with no clutch. Came to a stop, heard a "bang" when I punched clutch - blew the clutch slave cylinder. Good thing I knew all about double clutching - I learned that as a 14yoa on a 34 chev 1 1/2 ton.

Harry K

I know what you mean about loaning equipment!Mine was a '91 model and the slave cylinder was outside the bell housing.I ripped it off coming out of the brush with a load of wood.At least it was easy to get to.The newer ones put the slave inside and you have to drop the tranny to get at it.

Rock dust

Umm...on a 62 6cyl Chev 1/2 ton 2x. 22 #1 RR ties. 17 miles and had to replace all 4 shocks.

On this one would be grossly overloaded with green Willow. dunno what the weight would be but it wasloaded rack high.

Harry K

Same with me on the truck, an old i/2 ton chevy. Had to go get a load of rock dust for some landscaping work, mulching under and around trees to help the topsoil.. Made a mistake and took a whole loader scoop. About tipped over on a highway overpass making a turn.

Purty is as purty does Harry, and that's one purty old truck. The best part is what ain't there: a payment book.

Tailgates are overrated, got 2 trucks and not a tailgate between the two. I just make sure whatever's back there gets tied down. Their main purpose in life it to make ya walk around the receiver hitch instead of bumping your shin on it!

(Seriously, the "new" truck will have a custom slide in tailgate. I've got some rock crusher screen and C-channel around here somewhere.)

Purty is as purty does Harry, and that's one purty old truck. The best part is what ain't there: a payment book.

Tailgates are overrated, got 2 trucks and not a tailgate between the two. I just make sure whatever's back there gets tied down. Their main purpose in life it to make ya walk around the receiver hitch instead of bumping your shin on it!

(Seriously, the "new" truck will have a custom slide in tailgate. I've got some rock crusher screen and C-channel around here somewhere.)

I did debate replacing it with one of the mesh ones but the fines are very high for trash blowing out of a bed "unrestrained load". Hauling firewood = chips in bed and I would have to sweep the bed every time I emptied it.

Harry K

Yes, Harry, I know what ya mean. Here in WI the law looks the other way most of the time, but across the river in MN you'll get an unsecured ticket for an empty pop can rolling round in the back. I just make sure it's nice and clean or whatever is in there is tied when I go anywhere (either side of the border, trips to the corner store for stuff generally excluded).

Lately, I've driven the thing so little on the road, and the chips are so deep, that a good lawyer might be able to argue that they are now an integral part of the truck :D :D :D

Tailgates are work tables for filing chainsaw chains. Without one all my chains would be dull!

Latest posts

Back