air cooled diesel on a lighweight mill..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Anyone ever seen a 10-15 HP air cooled diesel mounted on a mill the size of an LT-10
or a Lumberlite? how did it perform?

just kind of curious...been studying biodiesel a bit...

Guess no one has...No big deal, I was just interested in the idea..Yanmar makes some pretty decent little A/C diesels that seem like they would play nice
with a little mill..I know from experience that they run the hell out of a
250 GPM pump....

I don't have any experience with the small diesels but I think I remember seeing one of the smaller mills being offered with a 10hp as an option. Not sure, but I think it was the LT-15. Keep us posted on what you find.

Just got done putting a 28hp Isuzu diesel on my B20 Timberking in place of a 27hp Kolhler gas (5000 hours and still running good but can't last forever). I don't know how they rate hp but that diesel cuts twice as fast. Steve

Just got done putting a 28hp Isuzu diesel on my B20 Timberking in place of a 27hp Kolhler gas (5000 hours and still running good but can't last forever). I don't know how they rate hp but that diesel cuts twice as fast. Steve

That's kinda what I was thinking..Diesels generally make better constant torque
under load...did you notice the cut being any smoother?

It is likely that I will buy a Lumberlite over the next few months...depends on how things go at the new house...I've got barns to re-side...

I doubt I'll buy a diesel for it immediately...more of a future purchase if I wear out that honda. (yeah right)

I may however, look into re-powering a some other widgets with one...

Diesel VS gas: it isn't about "hp" it's about torque... The diesel motor could have "less" hp than a gas motor and still outsaw it...

The little OHV Honda and B&S Vanguard gas motors on "manual mills" are so efficient that you'd spend years and years trying to save back the extra cost of a diesel motor, (you may not live long enough to break even) even useing veggie oil. On top of that those little "aluminum block" diesels don't hold up as well in sawmill applications as the gas motors do.. Woodmizer use to put them on and had LOT's of problems with them. It seems the motors are up and down on temp too much and it shortens their lives greatly..

I'm VERY happy with the Vanguard on my sawmill, but i liked the Honda 13 i had before too...

Rob

Diesel VS gas: it isn't about "hp" it's about torque... The diesel motor could have "less" hp than a gas motor and still outsaw it...

The little OHV Honda and B&S Vanguard gas motors on "manual mills" are so efficient that you'd spend years and years trying to save back the extra cost of a diesel motor, (you may not live long enough to break even) even useing veggie oil. On top of that those little "aluminum block" diesels don't hold up as well in sawmill applications as the gas motors do.. Woodmizer use to put them on and had LOT's of problems with them. It seems the motors are up and down on temp too much and it shortens their lives greatly..

I'm VERY happy with the Vanguard on my sawmill, but i liked the Honda 13 i had before too...

Rob

Cooool! That's what I was looking for...maybe those things need a more stationary/high duty cycle application...we have pretty good luck with them in pumps...

like I said..prolly won't ever manage to beat down the honda...

I agree with SawyerRob, the gas motors are hard to beat. I'm running a 12 (or13 (not sure what they call it)) hp Kohler and can run it about 4 hours on less than 2 gal. The only time I've really wanted for more hp was making a 22" wide cut cutting pin oak slabs. I didn't have enough set in the blade and it still did fine, just had to be careful not to crowd it too much. I'm wondering just how much the diesel would weigh compared to the alum block gas. On a manual mill like mine, that would be a factor to consider.

Back