Air filters and milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casey v

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Milled some dry doug fir this past weekend. The amount of wood dust on the filter was unbelievable. I thought it was just my imagination that the saw seemed to be loosing power. How often do you check your filter when milling. The saw I was using (Husky 180) has one of those plastic type cartridges that attaches with two knurled nuts to the carb intake. Anything that would be an improvement over this? I like the idea in the smaller Poulan saws (Micro XXV) that uses foam to filter the air. Any after market products that would adapt to a Husky?:help:

Thanks Mike

casey v said:
Milled some dry doug fir this past weekend. The amount of wood dust on the filter was unbelievable. I thought it was just my imagination that the saw seemed to be loosing power. How often do you check your filter when milling. Thanks Mike

Due to the amount of fine sawdust my csm puts out, I pull my filter after every 4 or 5 cuts on my MS460, a little less on my 395 as that doesn't seem to collect as much on the filter. I just tap or brush out my filter quick and dirty in the field. I give it a thorough cleaning when I service the saws back in the shop after a days milling. I also then take off the chain and clean out my bar and oiler area at the sprocket end using compressed air. I get nervous when blowing around the carb area though, I always think I might blow some dirt INTO the carb, so I get a little more careful there, I actually put my thumb or finger over the carb intake when I'm cleaning that area.

Hmm, another saw configuration situation. I generally prefer stihl products, but on my log wizard setup I went from a 026 to a husky 51. The "air induction" system clogs much less (put deflector over the starter shroud) ,tho I prefer the stihl handles ,I had to clean the 026 every 1/2 tank when de-barking, the husky hardly clogs at all. The 090 has a large filter situated in a way that dosnt collect dust bad either. Seems saw configuration (in context with the situation) should be as important as other details. My .02
Russell

One idea a bro at the sawshop offered was to use the wives old nylons (cut up into 4-5" lengths) to wrap the filter with. Have a few on hand,replace as needed. Takes care of most of the filter cleaning fast and cheap.

poleframer said:
One idea a bro at the sawshop offered was to use the wives old nylons (cut up into 4-5" lengths) to wrap the filter with. Have a few on hand,replace as needed. Takes care of most of the filter cleaning fast and cheap.

Not trying to derail this thread but the nylons reminder me of something I think I should share with you all. Tiny slivers will come out of your hands if you pull nylons across your hands at diffrent angles. It works for wood,metal and fiberglass. Just make sure the Ole Lady knows they were hers or you may catch some ****.
Mark:rockn: :rockn:

carvinmark said:
Not trying to derail this thread but the nylons reminder me of something I think I should share with you all. Tiny slivers will come out of your hands if you pull nylons across your hands at diffrent angles. It works for wood,metal and fiberglass. Just make sure the Ole Lady knows they were hers or you may catch some ****.
Mark:rockn: :rockn:
I have also heard that trick, but havn't used it yet. My dad sticks old nylons in the bottom of his funnel when he pours gas into saws etc. It does filter out larger pieces of dirt or loose rust particles from an old can. However, my mindset is if the gas or the can it came from is that dirty, I wouldn't use it anyway.

Yeah as much as I love my MS460, and my MS351, I have to admit that my Husky 365 and 395 with air injection DO have less on their air filters in similar situations. Husky air injection does work, no doubt about it.

My new 880 magnum has a number of cool new features (that aren't on my other stihls), one is the airfilter precleaner. The std corrugated filter element (squashed cylinder, similar to a small car filter) has a synthetic felt like precleaner band around it. The band is held in place by a section of elastic that needs to be stretched when the band is installed onto the element which makes it seal tightly to every part of the filter. The band is really easy to remove, rinse clean in water and replace. So I clean it every time I stop for a break.

My old Stihl 08S has a metal/mesh type filter on it which is kinda hard to clean without my air compressor and blow nozzle so when away from the shop I try to keep several old socks that the wife had in some old yardsale bags to be thrown out. They were my sons when he was a little thing. They slip right over the filter snugly and catch almost all of the dust before it can get to the filter. They dust right off with a little shaking.

stingray bay said:
My new 880 magnum has a number of cool new features (that aren't on my other stihls), one is the airfilter precleaner. The std corrugated filter element (squashed cylinder, similar to a small car filter) has a synthetic felt like precleaner band around it. The band is held in place by a section of elastic that needs to be stretched when the band is installed onto the element which makes it seal tightly to every part of the filter. The band is really easy to remove, rinse clean in water and replace. So I clean it every time I stop for a break.

I have one of those on the saw and three in the toolbox just for that reason for my 066. The 3120 doesn't have as much of a problem but I sure like that nylon idea mentioned earlier.

Mark

pre filter nylons

Loggers in the NW were doing the nylon thing; some were just old thin nylon men’s socks cut short or sewn / others their wives nylons as mentioned, in the mid/late 1980's.
That works well especially as a cheap throw away pre-filter.
Where it worked very well was on a K&N style filter on a moded Husky where you could cinch it down under the clamp at the bottom.

The Stihl 044/440 etc makes this a little difficult as there is no way to hold it in place. One has to have a sock/nylons that fit very tight.

A local logger that was a consultant for Stihl, (four trips to Germany - lots of beverages), told me that this nylon style homemade prefilter was the sponsor of the Stihl felt and other similar prefilters out there. Sometimes the guys in the field are worth copying.

I started a similar thread on Stihl prefilter cleaning today, not being squared away enough to read this one, and if anybody knows anything about piston damage related to dirty filters restricting air flow....
Please give me some input on that thread. “Stihl air filter question”

Latest posts

Back