Air gap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Wagstaff

Waggie
Reaction score
Morning guy's, has anybody any idea as to the air gap setting between the flywheel and ignition module for a Stihl 017 chainsaw, later model just prior to the MS170 saw.
Any info please, thanks John.

I've been using business cards and appointment cards for 50 yrs. I've never had a problem doing it this way.

Let the magnet in the flywheel pull the coil against the card and then tighten down the coil.

I use a business card but have folded a piece of paper a few times when i couldnt findn one. Havent ever looked a spec up but imagine it would be between .015-.025 or so. Correct menif im wrong please.

Spark May just be a little weaker or not work. Just make sure to turn it over by hand to make sure flywheel doesn't hit the coil

Yea i built.a husky 55 and was so pissed cause i wasnt getti g spark.......sure enough gap was to big. Figuring that kind of thing out really just makes you want to slap yourself lol. Bit at the same time makes you feel like a boss for figuring it out :)

.010-.012".....yep, I use s business card for every one I set.
If you get one of the transparent plastic boxes that they use in supermarkets for cake/cookies, usually the lid is smooth, & most are in the 10/12thou thickness range. I cut strips about 4 x 1 inch & use in the same way as the business card. Has a advantage in that you can see through it to line up the magnets + you get about 6 out of a box lid, useful as I always seem to lose/mislay the one I used last.

Morning guy's, has anybody any idea as to the air gap setting between the flywheel and ignition module for a Stihl 017 chainsaw, later model just prior to the MS170 saw.
Any info please, thanks John.
If you get one of the transparent plastic boxes that they use in supermarkets for cake/cookies, usually the lid is smooth, & most are in the 10/12thou thickness range. I cut strips about 4 x 1 inch & use in the same way as the business card. Has a advantage in that you can see through it to line up the magnets + you get about 6 out of a box lid, useful as I always seem to lose/mislay the one I used last.

What a superb idea, raided the fridge, stole the lid of the Wife's cream cakes, cut to the required sizes, PERFECT. I will use this in future. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back