Air Injection has it's limits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people don't have mechanical sense. Some learn, some don't, some don't care if its not their expense. When I was 14-15 years old I ruined a couple motorcycle engines,1st filter neglect, 2nd I left a clamp off the boot going to the carb and it sucked dirt. Most filters will suck fines through you run them clogged and then some gritty moist carbon accumulates and makes a wore out mess of the internals.

75% of the saws that come in are worse than that, dang sissy Husky saws just can't
hack it when their filters get a little dirty.

Pulled the sprocket drum off and found this.
189_zps2d8c1f30.jpg

How do the springs contribute to the contact force of the clutch shoes onto the clutch drum?

How do the springs contribute to the contact force of the clutch shoes onto the clutch drum?

It keeps them applying pressure at a even and constant rate, and keep them from
flopping about. If you think the springs only job is contracting in the shoes, run the
saw without clutch springs and see how well it cuts.

Yeah I gotta mention that you and hamish both understand this, but the average site member may not: In a shop environment, a LOT of saws come in this way. I think a great many guys couldn't find their air filter if you offered them a hundred bucks to show you where it is. Some of the 372's come in with the air filters so loaded up that you can hardly see the pleats in the filter. Almost like they troweled in the sawdust.

Then there are those that clean there filter all the time, and fail to realize the filter is done, but to them its looks clean so its good. See way too many Stihl flocked filters without and flocking, just the wire mesh left.

Last edited:
That's a shame I couldn't abuse anything like that.

If you have a soft spot for mechanical stuff, it indeed breaks you heart how people can abuse equipment. But most of them do it unknowingly.....that's why we accept our women driving our cars I guess.

Funny thing is that we shake our head already with an abused saw with a value of few hundred dollars ; I sell industrial equipment worth several million dollars, and I regularly encounter situations where customers totally neglect obvious preventive maintenance procedures and cause equipment premature breakdown, or where poorly trained operators cause significant damage due to simple stupidy or lack of training. Chinese customers are very well known for this, but also our american friends are pretty sick in the same department.....

Our service department loves these customers however...:eek2:

It keeps them applying pressure at a even and constant rate, and keep them from
flopping about. If you think the springs only job is contracting in the shoes, run the
saw without clutch springs and see how well it cuts.

Thank you for that explanation, I will remember that for the future. I have run saws without the clutch springs and they cut really well but the chain would spin even at idle. When a garter spring would break mid week when we were deep into the backwoods we would continue to run the saw til we got out of the woods, most times that would be the weekend.

the way sAws get treated

Yep... I always get that "you're joking...right?" look when I tell someone that it'll cost nearly as much for ME to clean it up enough to be able to work on it as it will to fix it....I've saws had come in that you could not even see the lower cyl fins on the flywheel side.......guy said it smoked some in a long cut...wasn't sure what was wrong just want me to "Check it out"......LOL!!!

Some dont deserve to own and operate chainsaws. Think of the neglected and abused animals-the SPCA comes in and either fines and takes away the poor animal. Justice served.

Several saws in my garage are victims of abuse. I picked up an MS280 recently from the local pawn show ($50.) MINUS FLYWHEEL-black oil inside the oil tank and outside. I think it will be a good saw after I spend time onit. tHEY ran the saw with dirty oil, burnt the bar tip, never checked it before or after us--their loss----my gain.:rock:
John

Latest posts

Back