Alaska Yellow-Cedar and ESA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to look that up to see if it was the same as (pardon my spelling) Chamaecypress nootkatensis. I guess they are the same. That's one of the few species one can legally export off FS land. There's quite a bit of it scattered about in the just a bit higher elevations.

What elevations P?

I'd have to look it up. I'm thinking around 3000 feet? It's hard to say since it can also be found lower down in the cooler drainages on the west side of the Cascades. To my knowledge, since clearcutting stopped, it is not included in timber sales, and usually wasn't cut even in the bad old days. You can run into it also in the Lodgepole, DF, Silver fir Noble fir transitional/hodgepodge stands.

I have heard that it is a favorite wood for building temples in Japan.

There was/is some yellow cedar in the Little Naches area. Plum Creek had some cold decked.

The Nootka Cyprus. .. believe it or not, its not even a cedar tree??

Pros & cons:
Woman love the smell of it.
Eveytime I end up 'wearing some
' ,the woman are dressed as nurses though.

Observation:
So far its a lot closer to killing me.

It gets its name from the Nootka (Nootka sound) on West Vancouver Island BC.
It grows at sea level in many areas as a lot of the coastline through the fjords and islands of BC and the AK are low elelevations. Higher elevations in its sothern areas although its still common to see a mixture east coast south island as you would in the southern AK panhandle
1226.1.jpg

5 of 6 biggest know in the world are located on Vancouver IS. The 5th is in Wa.
Olimpic National park just off the tip of the Island. ^^This one above was 2.5 hours north of me in Sayward Van Is. BC. Was the former wold Champ but fell in 2004
Due to globle warming. Thats right. The snow melted so we cut it down in the spring. j/k ..it was 1800 years old. This one was over 13ft.

If the tree isn't doing well there anymore then quit planting that species at the same elevation then. The tree is not even close to being extinct . It will be around much longer than us.

I have a really hard time associating even epidemic die-offs of young trees with climate change. I hope this ESA protection idea falls through, or at least warrants enough research to base protection on good science rather than a knee-jerk "if not us then who, if not now than when" preservationist rhetoric. I've said before and will say again: ESA is too powerful for its own good, and serves more to tie up commerce in legal hassles than it does to mandate actual responsible stewardship of the land.

It kind of goes in the opposite direction of the Marbled Murrelet. Whilst those birds are declared to be rare down here, there are supposed to be large populations in B.C. and Alaska.

If every species becomes non-threatened, groups like the Center for Biological Diversity will run out of money. Their industry would be in trouble.

The yellow cedar, or skunk cedar I have seen is no where near the size of the one pictured. Maybe our climate stunts their growth a bit?

Latest posts

Back