Alaskan Mill Advice G777 Small Log Mill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to get an Alaskan mill for my own personal puttering. I'd like to mill whatever I can find in the yard, or the family's yard into lumber. Right now, I don't forsee anything huge but I always like to keep my options open. Right now I can't see sawing anything bigger than 16" right now for the next year or so.

I've got a Dolmar 6400 with a 20" bar right now. Been meaning to do a 7900 upgrade for a while and will think about it real hard over the winter. Also could get a larger bar.

Anyways, I've been looking at the the G777 "Small Log Mill" which looks like a nice cheap option to just get at it. But being the type of person I am, I like to plan for the future so I'm also considering a larger MK-IV like the 30". Does it make more sense to get a bigger mill, and maybe a larger bar right away too, and jump into the 30" model? Or is the G777 a nice option to have around even if I upgrade later?

Or is there something else I should think about altogether?

Thanks in advance

I'm looking to get an Alaskan mill for my own personal puttering. I'd like to mill whatever I can find in the yard, or the family's yard into lumber. Right now, I don't forsee anything huge but I always like to keep my options open. Right now I can't see sawing anything bigger than 16" right now for the next year or so.

I've got a Dolmar 6400 with a 20" bar right now. Been meaning to do a 7900 upgrade for a while and will think about it real hard over the winter. Also could get a larger bar.

Anyways, I've been looking at the the G777 "Small Log Mill" which looks like a nice cheap option to just get at it. But being the type of person I am, I like to plan for the future so I'm also considering a larger MK-IV like the 30". Does it make more sense to get a bigger mill, and maybe a larger bar right away too, and jump into the 30" model? Or is the G777 a nice option to have around even if I upgrade later?

Or is there something else I should think about altogether?

Thanks in advance
IMG_20171119_134041.jpgwas used on plank cut off log from stump on avatar.IMG_20171116_125749.jpg ramps bar at top was gu de. The 70cc saw has s xty " bar on avatar. Began as 30" alaskan added longer Ra ls and tube. M ll ng 101 at top gave many answers to quest ons don't know we had:yes:. Be safe as you enjoy

The small log mill can only run a 20" bar so you'll be very limited on what you can mill. You lose a few inches from mounting. I'd recommend buying bigger now rather than upgrading later. I have a 36" bar so I got the 48" mill just in case I need to go bigger but I can run my 20" bars on this setup also. I'd also recommend doing the 7900 conversion. You want the most power possible for milling. Also, if you get something like the 30" mill, you can just buy longer rails and tube if you need to go bigger later.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Howdy,
The biggest difference is the small log mill only holds the bar on the powerhead end. The basic mill clamps on both end of the bar and is way more accurate for the $70.00 extra.
Regards
Gregg

Seems like the consensus is the larger mill. That's probably the way I'll go. Was just curious if I'd hear that the little one was nice to have around or if the big one was unwieldy on a small chainsaw or something. But I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just get a 30" or maybe a 36" unit depending. I might wait and see once I upgrade the cylinder and decide on what bigger bar to get.

Appreciate all the info.

Seems like the consensus is the larger mill. That's probably the way I'll go. Was just curious if I'd hear that the little one was nice to have around or if the big one was unwieldy on a small chainsaw or something. But I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just get a 30" or maybe a 36" unit depending. I might wait and see once I upgrade the cylinder and decide on what bigger bar to get.

Appreciate all the info.
I had some of the same concerns when I ordered mine but now I'm glad I went bigger from the start. I have the 48" mill and I run 36" and 28" bars with no problems. It's very sturdy and the longer rails are actually a benefit as a helper can help me push in the cut and help move and position the mill. Always nice to have 2 people anyway.

FWIW, I was just checking on the site today and they have a Black Friday sale. I couldn't not pull the trigger. Got the 36" for $189. If anyone's looking at these guys, looks like today's a good day to buy. Sale is today only.

FWIW, I was just checking on the site today and they have a Black Friday sale. I couldn't not pull the trigger. Got the 36" for $189. If anyone's looking at these guys, looks like today's a good day to buy. Sale is today only.
Sweet! Congrats and thanks for sharing that info.

Back