alaskan mill for my woodshed lumber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktm250rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
contemplating a chainsaw mill of some sort. Ive got a stack of pine that has been down for a couple years. The logs are all cut to 16'6" and vary from 8" up to 24". My intentions were to bring in a portable mill but never got around to it. My immediate needs are for about 500 bdft of various lumber to finish my wood shed (2x6 and 2x10s). I could always use the extra lumber for something else (tree stand, suspension bridge, fire wood pallets etc.). Current saws are a MS310 and MS 440.
I use the 440 most of the time. Ive thought of selling the 310 but it was my first fathers day gift so its not going anywhere. Buying another saw is out of the question.
Total cost for lumber needed now is about $375. Should i put that money towards a mill and cut my own? Im going to need to start filling this for winter so another issue is timing. With a 310 or 440, what is a rough estimate on milling framing lumber?

I do mill my own lumber.
But I'm into milling for years and 100km away from the first decent shop selling lumber at a reasonable cost.I CS mill it just because it allows me to do some selection work amongst my trees.

Milling lumber is dumb, noisy, boring and really hard on your whole body. A 440 can do some lumber, but it's not a huge saw so you'll be restricted to small bars and slow work.

But we'll after your last plank you'll know how to mill, set up your guide boards and sharpen!

For your lumber price I really doubt it would be worth it, If I remind well last time I talked with a 440 owner I borrowed a mill to he was burning a tank each 9 meters long on 30cm large white pine (epicea) logs...

There are a couple guys here that made mills that were very basic in construction, yet very usable. If you did something like that you could mill a little, and if you didn't like it, Quit. I think Daninvan started with a mill that was just all thread and blocks of wood. He adjusted his thickness by adding or removing blocks. He milled a lot of logs with that old set up. Maybe if you sent him a PM he could show you some pics of his old mill, Joe.

There are a couple guys here that made mills that were very basic in construction, yet very usable. If you did something like that you could mill a little, and if you didn't like it, Quit. I think Daninvan started with a mill that was just all thread and blocks of wood. He adjusted his thickness by adding or removing blocks. He milled a lot of logs with that old set up. Maybe if you sent him a PM he could show you some pics of his old mill, Joe.
There is a guy on Utube that has this exact setup. Looks like he's been using it for years. If I get a min I will post the link tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back