Alaskan mill profitability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 1969 my father purchased used a circular mill, a '41 Dodge 1 1/2 ton, a LA Case, an edger and 4 solid tooth blades for $1200. He already had a '36 JD A with a loader to move logs. In that time the Case was scrapped and replaced with an I9 Farmall which since has been traded for a horse. The mill is now powered with a 336 Moline power unit, the babbit bearings on the arbor have been replaced with ball bearings and we use insert tooth blades. The A JD sits and looks wise while a Allis TL12 loader feeds the mill. Thousand board feet in how long ? Afternoon, easy, with Tea time and an early beer thirty. After using this line up of antiques and trying milling with a chainsaw,.... I'll stick with my relics and make money. I think I'm going to use my Chainsaw mill to stake the tomatoes.

csm is great for cutting big beams and other one off lumber, thats what I use mine for, I don`t waste my time making common dimensional lumber.

I also don`t use my csm to make a living I use it for enjoyment, but theres been times where a days worth of "enjoyment" has gotten me 1000$.

csm is great for cutting big beams and other one off lumber, thats what I use mine for, I don`t waste my time making common dimensional lumber.

I also don`t use my csm to make a living I use it for enjoyment, but theres been times where a days worth of "enjoyment" has gotten me 1000$.

I know exactly what you mean.
Mark

making money

I bought mine for my own use on the farm. I use it to clean up the endless supply of red oak and ash. To each his own, There is no one best mill. What works econmicaly for you and fits your needs is the one for you! I have built cabinets, beds, carvings and a cabin with some of the lumber I have sawn! Could i have spent more? Yes! but i didn't want to. Good luck in your choice.

I already have a stihl 460 mag w/ a 24", but I was thinking about a 660 w/ 36-40." The main use for them is cutting stumps on large removals. The 460 is also my feller when I go out logging. I thought I had a pic of a 38" hemlock stump that I cut with spring but instead you get one of me just after topping my second time topping a tree. Anyhow, the sawmill is being planned to provide some income during the slow season of tree removals. Stash the logs when I'm busy, mill them when I'm slow, supplementing my income that way. Also maybe do some custom on site stuff. I have a freind that has two maybe three now of the manual feed band mills. He uses them to manufacture pallets for his stone quarry. He also does custom cutting in the winter. He claims that he can out cut a woodmizer. Right now I cant way for spring a business to pick up.

Stump, that is impressive and scary! Looks like difficult climb... Excuse my ignorance, but why did you have to top that tree instead of just dropping it? Would it get smashed up on impact? :cheers:

No straight felling wasn't an option. What you don't see in the pic is the barn that 25' or so away. The fence you see runs parallel to the barn and is attached to it. One of those top and drop routines. Climbing wasn't too bad, used two fliplines and alternated my way up the tree. Worked pretty well.

Back