alcohol 2 stroke

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayard

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
if there was a shortage of gas. could you mix 2 stroke with alcohol, and use it ? kenny

The short answer is yes, but at a minimum yoru diaphrams and lines will not like it, they'll need to be made of suitable material. Also, you'll have to richen your mixtures a LOT, perhaps even drill out the jets larger.

What a waste of Jack Daniels!

I've had some of that cheap beers that taste like 2 stroke mix....

:givebeer:( Molson Canadian!)
ok, everyone repeat after me.
Charcoal is for Grillin'

Seriously, charcoal filtering is a waste of an otherwise good bourbon...
If you want a smokey whisky, drink a single malt scotch.

I dont think the aluminum is going to like the moisture in the alcohol either. probably end up with some corrosion.

Nah. Maybe McCarthy's or Glen Breton once in a while, but you know that it has never sold as well as Corn here. Maybe its the peat...

JD is a uniquely American drink and even some of the wannabes sell well. I'm certainly not above a little Heaven Hill if offerred...

AS regards alky, Some two-stroke Kart race classes have used methanol, but you need bean oil with it. Petroleum oil wont usually mix. I'm sure Saw racers have used it too.

Last edited:

Nah. Maybe McCarthy's or Glen Breton once in a while, but you know that it has never sold as well as Corn here. Maybe its the peat...

JD is a uniquely American drink and even some of the wannabes sell well. I'm certainly not above a little Heaven Hill if offerred...

AS regards alky, Some two-stroke Kart race classes have used methanol, but you need bean oil with it. Petroleum oil wont usually mix. I'm sure Saw racers have used it too.

I'll take some Gentlemen Jack if you guys are buying. :clap:

For about the last 40 years or so, FAI model airplane competition has been a no nitro fuel event. Their fuel is methanol alcohol and oil (80%/20%). These are 2 cycle engines, so yes methanol and oil will work in your chainsaw.....but and there is always a but.

Alky engines are a lot more temperamental than a gas or nitro burner. On an alky race car engine the target head temp is around 210 degrees, you shut it off if it gets to 235 and if the gauge reads 245-250 you dig deep in your pockets for a new set of pistons because you just caved in 8 of them. On a chainsaw you just killed the cylinder too. With a narrower tuning window, you have to watch the weather a lot more than with a gas burner, which could mean setting the needle on your saw each time you use it - depends on where you live an how constant the weather is.

I get methanol for around $2 a gallon and gasoline for $3. I had looked at using methanol, since I already have the right kind of 2 cycle oil that will mix, it would be some cheaper. But, as mentioned before the fuel lines and carb wouldn't stand up to the methanol very long and would cost more than the $1 savings.

Fog

bad times

i was thinking if there was a real bad gas shortage what could you use. maybe some kind of diesel chain saw, 2 stroke. kenny

Back