Alcohol/Nitro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOBRDGO

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Doing strictly the necessary mods to make a saw run on alcohol what is roughly the performance percentage gain? Does nitro necessitate more than carb mods to experience gains? I'll make basic muffler mods a given to the saws in question. Thanks

Back in the day I can remember the carbs on go-karts frosting up because the alky vaporized so fast.They blew blue flames from the exhaust when at idle.Don't know about the carb mods,"Google" it.

Al, are you sure about the alcohol vaporizing faster? From What I understand it vaporizes slower with a "lower" vapor pressure and higher flash point than pump gas. which works into its octane rating in the 140+ range. The icing is more likely a result of; (a) the increased quantity of fuel, (b) the increased latent heat of vaporization as alcohol draws a lot more heat than pump gas as it evaporates.

I am still early in the learning curve on the alky stuff though.

Last edited:
As far as the carb, you need to be able to put at least 9:1 in for E100 and 6:1 for meth as oposed to 14:1 for gas. Also alcohol if I am not mistaken likes to be on the rich side of stoiometric for max HP. Pump Gas produces max exhaust pressure at about 20% rich, alcohol is more like 40%.

As far as the carb mod the diamiter of the orffices will need to be effectivly opened by ~30% for ethyl or ~40% for meth. to accomdate the increased fuel requirment, the fuel viscosity also plays a factor in this, as the viscosity and density of pump gas and alcohol. That is the weight of alcohol or pump gas that will flow through a given carb opening at a given pressure is not the same.

Latest posts

Back