Alder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H 2 H

FLASHER
Reaction score
Yesterday I saw the biggest Alder I've seen in years

I was up in Deming WA. at the speedway when the owner ask me to look at the tree; he had a saw with a 32" B/C I took it down after blocking it off I placed the the saw across the round (on the third round) and it was two inches differences so I would say 33" round (I don't know the size of the dawgs)

The Alder was straight as a arrow perfect for fire wood about 40' till ya hit any limbs

I'm going back up there Sunday and will get some pic's of the rounds

Is this the same type of Alder that they add to the bags of wood chips for smoking? It seems like every type of chips has Alder in it. We don't have much in the way of Alder around here. Only what we call Alder Brush. I always wondered where they get all the Alder... Interesting...

I would love to see the picture of the alder. Cutting up and splitting alder the last couple of weeks for firewood.

Plenty of alder on my property. Alder is a great wood to mix in with whatever you got.
It smells great and produce a nice coal bed.
Yes, alder is best for smoking. Our native americans smoke fish and meat with alder.
I like alder smoke more than anything else. I smoke all my fish and game with alder.
I have a few very large alder on my property; they do so good around here.
Strange that once you start clearing a plot, alder would be the first to emerge.
They are one of a few tree that fixes nitrogen.
A very beneficial tree.

The weather sure changed up here after I started this thread we had rain and wind storm for the next 5 or 6 days and I didn't get back up there

Meanwhile during that storm at brothers place they had four Alder trees come down across the road going into there place; I went up and cleared it so they could drive in and out and then started cutting it up for firewood the biggest about 24" dia

View attachment 282701

I've been up there the last few days cleaning that up and about to head back up to haul that to him which will save me travel time later this summer because I supply him and my other brother with wood each year

Is this the same type of Alder that they add to the bags of wood chips for smoking? It seems like every type of chips has Alder in it. We don't have much in the way of Alder around here. Only what we call Alder Brush. I always wondered where they get all the Alder... Interesting...

Most of what people see in stores is dried Alder for smoking here we get small green Alders and take the bark off for smoking fish; if you don't take the bark off it leaves a bitter taste to the fish but green Alder chucks is the way to go it leaves a better taste to the fish

I would love to see the picture of the alder. Cutting up and splitting alder the last couple of weeks for firewood.

I didn't get the pic's of the big Alder up in Deming but here is two trees from my brothers it sure makes it nice when I don't have to head into the woods to get them when I can just drive down a nice road to get them :msp_ohmy:

View attachment 282703

This pic I have already hauled some of the wood away; one of brothers house is about 75 yards away from this pic

This is in the Big Rock area just out side Mt Vernon WA

You did not get a picture of the Big Alder awww :(. I like those pictures anyways. Its always cool how the Alder starts to turn red not long after being cut.

You did not get a picture of the Big Alder awww :(. I like those pictures anyways. Its always cool how the Alder starts to turn red not long after being cut.

The weather up here turned bad; rain and wind made it so being in the woods wasn't a good idea to many things falling out of the sky from 2" to 6" dia limbs

Yea thats the Northwest for you. Safety is more important than a picture! Its no big deal, but if you have a chance down the road to get a picture of it that would be cool.

Back