Echo cs-590 vs 600p

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numnutz6383

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned my 590 for 3 years or so at this point. It was my first and still is my biggest CC saw (I also have a Stihl 462 that needs so fixing before it runs again). Recently I came across a FB marketplace ad for a CS-600p being sold as is for real low money, owner was "sick of trying to get it running" after putting a new P+C on it and still getting low compression. So obviously I bit and will be picking it up this weekend.

Worst comes to worst I'll use it as a parts saw for my 590, but ultimately I'm hoping to get it running.

Can anyone comment on the differences between the two and if any of the parts are interchangeable?

Hard to believe that you have not fixed the Stihl 462. What's wrong with it? Parts too expensive?
I sense this may be a dig at Stihl, which may or may be warranted in other situations. For me it's primarily been lack of time, and being dedicated to a different project at this time. As far as I know, my 462 just needs a spark plug thread repair, I won't know better until that's repaired.

There isn't an exact answer to your question. The CS-600P's went thru several changes over the years of production. Take the serial number off the case and look at the IPL's. Early 600's used a different P/C and coil. There are other minor differences once again depending on the serial number run. At some point it appears by the IPL"s that they started sharing the same P/C but I can't remember if 600's ever got the limited coil used on the CS-590's. Anyhow if it can be bought cheap every single part is available to get it up and running and they are really easy to work on......

There isn't an exact answer to your question. The CS-600P's went thru several changes over the years of production. Take the serial number off the case and look at the IPL's. Early 600's used a different P/C and coil. There are other minor differences once again depending on the serial number run. At some point it appears by the IPL"s that they started sharing the same P/C but I can't remember if 600's ever got the limited coil used on the CS-590's. Anyhow if it can be bought cheap every single part is available to get it up and running and they are really easy to work on......
Thank you. I'm learning the intricacies of this saw as I'm looking up information about it. Echo has a BUNCH of different IPLs for it l, depending on the serial.

Performance wise, how did these two differ?

Stock for stock, there shouldn’t be any real performance difference. Performance was hopped up on the 620. Off I’m not mistaking, the 600 used the same engine but had a few more upgrades like metal clutch cover, rim sprocket, better bar and chain of the shelf. I think so anyway. I’m sure others know. The 600 might have had an aluminum handle also.

I sense this may be a dig at Stihl, which may or may be warranted in other situations. For me it's primarily been lack of time, and being dedicated to a different project at this time. As far as I know, my 462 just needs a spark plug thread repair, I won't know better until that's repaired.
Maybe a dig at Stihl parts prices.

But a 462 lying around would probably be worth more of my time than parting out a couple of beat up Echos … and I’m an Echo guy.

I wouldn’t buy a 462, but if I already had it, I’d want it running. Heck of a saw.

Some 600's use the same plastic handle as the 590's. For sure early units used a different P/C and unlimited coil, but not the larger carburetor the 620's used. I did some timed cutting tests between all of them (CS-590, 600P and 620PW) several years ago and with the same 20" bar/chain there isn't enough difference to even talk about in material up to 18" in diameter. I didn't repeat the testing with the longer 24" bar in a bigger log but my CS-620PW may have a slight edge there.

Recently the check valve failed in the 600P's carb so I replaced the carb with one for the 620P. Unlikely I'll do any direct testing just figured for the price I might as well get the larger carb instead of the 268 carb. I went ahead and rebuilt the 268 carb with a new OEM kit and check valve w/o a feed hole and shelved it.

I'd add here that even though the CS-620PW is the X-power version and rated higher in power than the CS-590/600' the difference working those saws in the woods isn't noticed. Most likely this is due to the fact that I mostly cut tops left over from logging operations so smaller material, and all my saws are perfectly tuned with razor sharp chains on them when I head out to cut some firewood.

In any case I consider those saws among the best Echo has to offer I also have some experience with the new CS-7310PW and it is also a "home-run" in their line-up......IMHO....

Just to add to the comments above. At a glance the CS-590 is a great deal for a 60cc saw, and it is. Even so when you sit down and look at what you don't get, the CS-620 starts to become a lot more attractive for the additional $200 or so investment.

You get more power. A metal handle. Removable rim sprocket. Professional bar instead of laminated, unlimited coil, double bumper spikes and full wrap handle if you cough up a few more bucks. I bought my CS-590 for around $350 NIB, the CS-620PW was $539.

The laminated bar on the CS-590 didn't last for ****, so within a year I'm spending another $80 on it? I spent another $70 and bought a metal handle for it, and it's going to need a clutch pretty soon as the drive teeth are work pretty hard. Do I'm going to be at the cost of the CS-620PW by the time I'm done.......just something to ponder on......

I’ve got a early 600P it’s essentially a 590 with a rim sprocket kit. Got it cheap, had a torn intake boot and was missing a couple small parts. Ended up putting a new top end on it as well. Found a ebay seller that had the correct part number piston and cylinder. Anyway it’s been a great saw and from what I can tell most if not all parts will interchange with the 590.
IMG_0020.jpeg
Took this picture February of last year shortly after getting it back together. Still looks the same just not as clean and sporting a Stihl lightweight bar.

IMG_20230623_201106.jpg
This is what I'm picking up. I'm hoping the seller is honest and it's gonna be a relatively low use saw that I just need to fix up to get running.

As for the comments regarding the 590 vs 620. Yes, hindsight being 20/20 I also would've just purchased the 620 from the get go, with that said I love my 590, and after a few mods its a beast with a 24" bar at the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-23-20-10-07-79_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-06-23-20-10-07-79_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I agree with all of this post, I have 590, 620PW, and a 4910, in fact when I heard about the 4910 becoming a 4920 I ran out and bought another 4910 (it's in it's box "NEW") That"s where it will stay, probably won't use it in my lifetime, but I have two young sons. The Echo's have been good to me. I like em'.

Stock for stock, there shouldn’t be any real performance difference. Performance was hopped up on the 620. Off I’m not mistaking, the 600 used the same engine but had a few more upgrades like metal clutch cover, rim sprocket, better bar and chain of the shelf. I think so anyway. I’m sure others know. The 600 might have had an aluminum handle also.
I bought the cs590, my brother bought the cs600. The only difference that bothered me was the 590 had that cheezy spur chain drive. I had a professional bar and chain and didn't even look at what came on my saw. The dealer wanted 60 bucks for the parts to upgrade the 590 to a Rim drive. I went on line and bought after market parts. Changed that out and we cut side by side. My 590 pulls a 28 inch bar and oils it well. If a tree is big enough I use that bar and chain. Otherwise, I run a 20 inch bar and chain. I also run a 24inch bar and chain if need be. The 590 replaced a 60cc professional grade Poulan Pro. The old yellow and black ones. That saw was a man. It had plenty of power but I knew it was getting old and Sold it back inn 2015 and bought the 590. Most of the time I can get by using the cs490 and my go to saw is the cs352. I never crank my 024 and 026 Sthil saws. I don't like the bars and .325 chains. I modded the 029. Muffler mod, tune, rim drive and professional bar and chain. It will shock most people how well it cuts.. It's a heavy saw almost as heavy as the 590. I run it a few times a year to keep it going and I like that saw but the other Sthil saws don't even get a knod from me. I've become an Echo man.

Back