All Around Best Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash for all the reasons already posted...mostly due to the most prevalent I find dead standing.
Never turn down oak...and wish I had some hickory.
Favorite for the fireplace (romance fires) is sassafras.

Ash for all the reasons already posted...mostly due to the most prevalent I find dead standing.
Never turn down oak...and wish I had some hickory.
Favorite for the fireplace (romance fires) is sassafras.

This may be a good poll. Looks to me like red oak has a slight advantage over ash!

Come on ASH!! we need some more voters! Remember fellas, this is the best "all around firewood."
:popcorn:

wish i had the luxury of extensive dense hardwoods . . .
. . . most everyone in this area burns lodgepole pine . . .buns hot, but fast and quaking aspen . . . which is pretty much like burning a large log shaped cotton ball. once and a while you run into a chokecherry big enough to be worthwhile.
while living in oregon i fell in love with madrone . . hard for me to imagine a better firewood.

Bitternut Hickory - easy splitting, long burning, doesn't smoulder

Ash - easy splitting, short burning, doesn't smolder

Heinekin - woops, ????

:)

Amazing. I have 5 cord of lodgepole pine, 2 of paper birch and 2 of douglas fir. I consider it a treat to be able to burn a dense softwood. I'd have to drive for a half day to get an oak or cherry.

This may be a good poll. Looks to me like red oak has a slight advantage over ash!

Come on ASH!! we need some more voters! Remember fellas, this is the best "all around firewood."
:popcorn:
Ash gets my vote over oak, only because WoodBooga and I agree that it requires less time to season. It also seems to light easier and get hot faster, and it does not require smaller logs to keep big ones going in the stove. Splitting ease of ash is somewhere between red and white oak. I'm heading out today to bring in another truckload of ash. Why not? Once split, I can probably burn it in early spring.

Nothing seems to keep me much warmer than a couple of good pieces of ash. ;)

Birch to start the fire, Locust to keep it going and put on some heat. Oak is nice if its junk stuff, but nice straight stuff has better uses. Sugar Maple is good too, but hard to come by.

I'm with the other guy though. Free wood is the best stuff. I don't care if its Sycamore, Ash, Cherry, Apple, whatever... If its free, I'll take it!

Well here in Alaska we on;y have two real choices. Birch or spruce. I like to start with spruce burns hot and fast. Then switch to birch. Birch is tough casue it really has to be split for a good year to dry out. And it will rot quickly if not split. BUt I'd kill for a connex full of oak to burn.

Well here in Alaska we only have two real choices. Birch or spruce. I like to start with spruce burns hot and fast. Then switch to birch. Birch is tough cause it really has to be split for a good year to dry out. And it will rot quickly if not split. But I'd kill for a connex full of oak to burn.
Burn that birch! That is a hardwood, and spuce is not. Birch will dry in 9 months. Yes, it is tough, and that is why it is a good firewood, especially black birch, which is really hard to find.

I am sure that oak is rare in Alaska. Regardless, pin oak might survive there. I'm not sure that anyone has planted a pin oak tree in Alaska. Please advise if wrong. They do grow very well in Minnesota. They should grow in some areas of Alaska. Fairbanks might be one of them. I am sure that they would thrive in Juneau.

Last edited:
I think we should send the Alaskans some Hedge apples.It seems to grow like a weed wherever it is planted.I bet the moose would like it, too.

LOL I can see a moose's eyes as he is trying to browse on hedge twigs, or gnawing on an 'apple' trying to get that thing to go down. I'd send somebody some , just to see how well they turned out in their area.

Mullberry for me, splits easily, dries quickly, pleasant smell, has a nice color in the flame and gives good heat. Nothing fancy about it, just good heat.

Nothing wrong with those sweet berries either.

Remember me? I'm the guy who can't tell Mulberry from Hedge!
I'll repeat what other guys have said; the quality of firewood is superior the farther south one travels in the U.S.This is hardly fair to our northern neighbors who could better use it.

best depends upon where one is located...

for some areas... pine is what's available...
in Tulsa.. Oak is the best available wood.

there's other hardwoods available like pecan, hickory, mulberry etc. but for ease of splitting, long burn times and most importantly ...plentiful... Oak is king!

pine knots hedge hickory white oak red oak cherry in that order
hard to overheat the old hardy
anybody ever burn grape vines?

Remember me? I'm the guy who can't tell Mulberry from Hedge!
I'll repeat what other guys have said; the quality of firewood is superior the farther south one travels in the U.S.This is hardly fair to our northern neighbors who could better use it.

heh, sometimes I have to look close since they are mixed in the same stack. I never heard if that piece worked out. If nothing else it could have went in the fire. Thats all I was going to do with it.

pine knots hedge hickory white oak red oak cherry in that order
hard to overheat the old hardy
anybody ever burn grape vines?

:hmm3grin2orange: not for heat.
I have heard it is the preffered source for charcoal in blackpowder.

yeah pine knots are pretty dense and a little pine ot cedar makes a nice aroama just about anytime.

Mostly Red Oak for me, there's a disease going around the Reds in my area so they're dying off at an alarming rate, doesn't touch Whites though. Although with out a doubt, if I can find it dead, standing or down, I'll snatch up the Ironwood (Eastern Hophornbeam-Ostrya virginiana).

Red Oak = Abundant w/ good BTU
Ironwood = Scarce better BTU but hard on the saw and the back!

Back