All Around Best Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple trees I just don't have here..
Sugar maple and Hickory...
I would trade Hedge for those every chance I get...
A. I like to BBQ..
B. They don't fill my stove up with klinkers...
It's a "I like what I don't have" thing...
I'll be cutting "yellow wood" tomorrow if ya wanna swing by and pick some up...
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Sugar Maple is klinker king.

You're killing me smalls.

I kinda understand the BBQ deal but you have the best of what there is is. There is no argument. You win.

"I have 10 cords of red oak"

"I have 7 of Hedge Apple."

Now the kicker here is if said arguer actually comprehends what Hedge Apple is.

The conversation should end in the red oak guy going...."Oh"

I would get crucified if caught bring non native species non kiln dried wood here. Dog isn't even going to talk his way out of that one.

My wife can always tell when it's a Hedge or Mulberry day, as I come home yellow. These days are mixed with Black Walnut days, which turn my sweatshirt black. My Hedge stash is now about 8-10 years, as we have moved into a well insulated house and it is total overkill for Kansas. I still cut like I live in MN; too much wood is like too much money in the bank.

Sugar Maple is klinker king.

You're killing me smalls.

I kinda understand the BBQ deal but you have the best of what there is is. There is no argument. You win.

"I have 10 cords of red oak"

"I have 7 of Hedge Apple."

Now the kicker here is if said arguer actually comprehends what Hedge Apple is.

The conversation should end in the red oak guy going...."Oh"

I would get crucified if caught bring non native species non kiln dried wood here. Dog isn't even going to talk his way out of that one.
Would it help to know I deliver 15 cord a year to 1 fellow just south of me?
He swears hedge is the only thing that holds coals in his leaky ass OWB...
He burns year round..

My wife can always tell when it's a Hedge or Mulberry day, as I come home yellow. These days are mixed with Black Walnut days, which turn my sweatshirt black. My Hedge stash is now about 8-10 years, as we have moved into a well insulated house and it is total overkill for Kansas. I still cut like I live in MN; too much wood is like too much money in the bank.
Have you ever eaten mulberries??
They look like a black berry, but don't taste like em!!!

Would it help to know I deliver 15 cord a year to 1 fellow just south of me?
He swears hedge is the only thing that holds coals in his leaky ass OWB...
He burns year round..

What's your delivery radius? Lodging, liquor, and food is provided upon safe, uneventful arrival.:)

Theoretically, it's a darn near straight shot north. But time wise is not kind.

What's your delivery radius? Lodging, liquor, and food is provided upon safe, uneventful arrival.:)

2.5 cords per load...
Always wondered what it would be like to drive the 6500 north of the cities...
We up to Grantsburg every year any way..
Ha!!

I still have a home in MN, in the St Croix valley. I don't see any reason Hedge wouldn't thrive there. Maybe I'll bring a load of hedge apples for you.

I am always surprised when I read threads like this that there isn't more votes for sugar maple. Best all around tree and wood around here in my opinion. Aside from maple we like ash and cherry, but burn anything that's seasoned that comes from cleanup around the farm and in the woods. I don't seem to have any trouble having coals in the morning when I burn ash. All wood is good wood to me when it is seasoned. For us it comes right off our property here, so we don't turn our noses up at anything.

yup!! when you drive north, up I35, you can nearly draw a line, where they stop growing...
Still, they may adapt. We have trees growing in Wichita that are well North of their native habitats. Hedge would certainly make -40° a whole lot more bearable
Farmertim: I also love Sugar Maple. Can't get it here, but can in MN. Always burns with a little sadness, as it means a little less sap for the pot.

To be honest, I didnt know elm was so hard to split until everyone told me:censored: :cry:
Siberian Elm, which is the most common elm because it is resistant to Dutch Elm Disease, isn't hard to split. American Elm, rarely seen in large sizes because it was killed by Dutch Elm Disease, can be torn apart but doesn't really split. I haven't done enough Rock Elm or Slippery Elm to know about those.

I didn't see anyone mention Walnut. I burn some Ash, but mainly Walnut. Got over 200 ft of it down on the ground at the timber, and it will be the bulk of the wood I sell next year.

My favorite firewood from an all-around point of view (splitting, seasoning, stacking as well as burning) is white ash. I certainly like others too, but ash wins for me. I guess I'll need to pick another pretty soon though. :(

I didn't see anyone mention Walnut. I burn some Ash, but mainly Walnut. Got over 200 ft of it down on the ground at the timber, and it will be the bulk of the wood I sell next year.
aint no way...for each lb of walnut you burn,, you get two pounds of ash....................refuse to take it anymore

I mentioned walnut, but you failed to scroll back far enough. Mulberry burns hotter but throws sparks. Oak takes forever to dry. Ash is still #1 most of the time, but now and then you run into ash that has a spiral grain and very difficult to split. Ash dries fast, but knots are usually everywhere. Hard maple may be the best that there is, but it's rare around here and tough to split green. Locust and walnut may be the best of all. Either can be split green and have a good heat content. But, walnut makes good furniture.

Let's put it this way. If I had a thousand acres that I could devote to fuel wood, I'd plant locust trees, the thornless variety. The tree grows fast and is disease free. In 25 years I wager that I would produce more BTUs per acre than any other species that could be used for firewood.

Latest posts

Back