All my saws chains go loose on every tank, no matter what I do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you holding the tip up when you tighten the bar? If not then the bar will move in the cut and cause slack in the chain...

All saws run a tank of oil out as they should. Maybe they're running out too fast. That I can check...Yes of course, I tighten the bar nuts like mad and lift the tip. All new (aftermarket) chain guard/brake elements...Husky 394,372,51. I think I'll adjust the oilers all back a bit, or shut down after what I figure is 1/2 tank and see where the oil level is. Might be the ticket...thanks.

Cutting mostly hardwoods, using Husky oil, and yes, sharp. Not sure on sprocket condition but I know one of them was new last year.

Should havd a splash of bar oil left in the tank when you run out of gas. If not then maybe its using it too fast. Either adjust the oiler or put less gas in the tank so you run out of gas first. How new are the chains? New chain will strech and needs adjusting the first few tanks. Some brands less if it comes pre-streched.

What the hek?

Get any chain hot enough and it'll show some slack. When things cool down, does that slack disappear? If not, chain (straps/rivets) is wearing abnormally. You might even be able to tell which & how much.

Is this a significant change from what you've experienced in the past?

Any chance you could have a knowledgeable buddy check it out? Sometimes the obvious becomes transparent.

These are not new chains, and so they should not stretch...I bet it's the oil...I also can leave one on after using and see if it tightens up...

From what you have described...I think your problem is oil related...I expect you are not getting enough oil to your bar.

Overheated bar = stretched hot chain. Clean bar grooves...bar oil supply hole...and make sure oil pump is pumping oil.

J2F

The choices I can think of are:
  1. Mechanical movement (loose nuts, etc.)
  2. Heat causing the metal to expand and the chain to grow and loosen (lack of lube, dull chain, tight fit in bar, etc.)
  3. Rapid wear on pivots and/or bar (lack of lube)

The choices I can think of are:
  1. Mechanical movement (loose nuts, etc.)
  2. Heat causing the metal to expand and the chain to grow and loosen (lack of lube, dull chain, tight fit in bar, etc.)
  3. Rapid wear on pivots and/or bar (lack of lube)
A person leaning too hard on a dull chain will do it every time.

Latest posts

Back