Allis and Craftsman eqiv. Poulan models?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the equivalent Poulan modes were to these two saws? How about the specs or exact age? Hints, tricks, tips? Both look to be from the late '60s, and both have the starter mounted inboard of the flywheel. I think the Allis might have an auto oiler, but it's not working if there is one.

Allis-Chalmers 195 Professional with 16" bar. About the size of a Homelite Super XL. The fuel tank top is held on by one screw in the middle. The body is avocado and the tank+air cleaner cover are black.

Craftsman 1.9 CI model# 358.350911 with 12" bar. Looks like an early version of the Poulan 25 or whatever that was. The carb is a little Walbro mounted on one side of the cylinder. The whole this is bright red. The manual oiler sticks down for about one minute after you press it, so I think a check valve needs replacing.

Anything would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yep,

Allis bought saws from Poulan back when the Poulan XXV (or 25) was being sold to just about everyone. Parts will be interchangeable. The earliest was 1.9cu in and then 2.0, and the last was the super 25 at 2.3cu. in. I believe these largest ones only were sold to Craftsman brand (Sears), other than as Poulan's own. The earliest were the best because in those days Poulan did their own chrome plate cylinder. The later ones were done outside and had frequent peeling chrome problems. If you got a good cylinder, you had an excellent saw.

Regards,
Walt Galer

The A-C model 195 is a Poulan Model 306. These saws came in two models. The 306 had a manual oiler only. The 306-A had a manual and automatic oiler. These weren't bad saws...but certainly not in the "classic" category as the xxv.

Dave

Howdy,

I'd second that opinion on the old Poulan 306. I had one that was a prototype gear drive variation of this saw. I used it exclusively at a Girl's camp on the Oregon coast, Camp Westwind. I used to cut their year's supply of firewood, about 12 cords in one weekend. The deal was, they had a large spit off the mouth of the Salmon river that collected a large amount of huge driftwood, some logs off Jap ships of considerable size. I used a 30 inch bar, and 1/2 pitch chisel chain round filed. I cut the logs into fireplace lengths right where they lay, even if half buried in the sand! The chainspeed was so slow you could see the cutters going by, but they would last for a tank of gas. Then I would touch up and go at it again.

I just left the wood lay as cut, and the YWCA would send a work party of guys with a tractor and trailer, and pickup, haul, split and stack the wood. It took them a least a couple weeks to get the job done.

That old Poulan 306 gear did a job I would not have ever wanted to attempt with any other saw.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Thanks for all the info. The little Craftsman's jug is fine. Only needs a carb kit and some oiler parts. Nice 'n light. Has a little roller tip bar that was wasted on one side, so I ground it and flipped it over.

Any idea what displacement the A-C is? My desicions on what to sell and what to keep are based on the place that each saw holds in the collection. Must be good to swing a 30" bar, even with gear drive.

Finally, is there a good souce of parts specific to either of these? All the local saw shops kick you out unless you're asking about Stihl or Husky.

Back