Allow me to introduce myself...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanuq

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, Nanuq here. I live in Alaska, hence the name. I've been trying to search the site but can't without registering, so here I am. :cheers:

I've got a Stihl 044 bought from a logger in Washington. I think it's an older one, it has a "Magnum" and a "Super" sticker on top. It's running a 32" solid Sugihara roller bar, .063 and 3/8". Love it!

My father in law, bless his pea-pickin' heart, has no clue about gauge and I've complained about the weight of the beastie so long that he bought me a 20" Stihl roller bar for my birthday. Problem is the gauge... I buy 50' spools of chain and make my own, and they're all .063.

So, long story even longer, who makes a good .063 by 3/8" bar? I'm hoping for solid, and roller tip.

Thanks gents!

ps: and what the heck is a "Super" kit anyway?!

Welcome,

You will find yourself looking for more saws, more saws and even more saws.
Adicting for sure.

Thanks for the replies, gents! So far the only photos I have are when I was goofing around, a guy asked how I store my watches, if I don't keep them in a safe? I told him this is how, and hung 'em over the bar.

Here's the picture, it sort of shows the stickers on top. One is a white metal plate riveted on that says "Super" and "Magnum" and then on the air filter cover there's a black plastic sticker that's pretty much worn away that's the remnant of the words Magnum and Super. I apologize for the "well used" look, I know it's filthy and needs more maintenance. But wow does it cut wood! I went through 3 big Doug firs last night, and have another 9 standing for the rest of the week.

nanuq_box_again2.jpg

Thanks! I've already been reading about muffler mods to open 'er up to breathe better. Mine pops exhaust out to the left and right when running, so I wonder if that's the "Super" part of the stickers? One side exits right above the chain and the left side comes out down low. I've got a 10 or 11-tooth rim sprocket for good chain speed, and plenty of oil on the bar. What else can I learn about this thing?

i guess you discovered nanuk was already taken........nice watches. i have about 15 or so, most of which are locked in the gun safe.
i don't think you have an 11 pin sprocket as those are made for serious bike saws and cost lots of money to have them custom made. they also require huge power to run. more likely you have a 7 pin, maybe an 8. most people go with 7 pin on a 440.
oh yeah, not only will this site cost you lots of money, it will also cost you in the wallet. so, unless you have extra of both, leave now that you have the answer to your question, bf you are hooked, afflicted and infected with CAD.

Nmurph, what was that? Can you please repeat? I lost you... all I saw was white static and all I heard was the sound of a healthy 2-stroke eating wood.

BRRRRRAAAPPPPPPPP!!! *twitch*

Uh oh, I think I may have caught something here. :cheers:

i guess you discovered nanuk was already taken........nice watches. i have about 15 or so, most of which are locked in the gun safe.
i don't think you have an 11 pin sprocket as those are made for serious bike saws and cost lots of money to have them custom made. they also require huge power to run. more likely you have a 7 pin, maybe an 8. most people go with 7 pin on a 440.
oh yeah, not only will this site cost you lots of money, it will also cost you in the wallet. so, unless you have extra of both, leave now that you have the answer to your question, bf you are hooked, afflicted and infected with CAD.

This site can also save you money at times, like when you have a broken chainsaw and need parts or advice.

Come to the light... come to the light... it's all...... orange? And it smells like bean oil. Mmmmmm, I like this kind of light! *twitch*

Dang, now I realize I have to start treating my saw better, not just like a tool to (ab)use and put away.

Do they really run better after resting on velvet pillows overnight? :) I'd just discarded the notion as the overwrought ramblings of someone overcome by bean oil fumes. :dizzy:

Thanks for the tech advice! Now am I right about a dual ported muffler being the factory "Super" thing, or do I check something on the carb to see if that's part of it too?

Must ... have ... more ... knowledge ...

One subject you should never mention in a post is oil. Even in passing. Oil is just....like so beaten to death...you don't wanna do it.

Gotcha, no references to the "O" word.

How about pfiles? Is that an okay topic? I've been buying pferd for years and love 'em. Is there a better one?

So how's the cutting in the Bethel area? I live outside Anchorage way up high and the trees are only like 24" diameter, but old-growth due to the short growing season. I'm seeing 70 growth rings in some of them. Tough to split.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. You made a fatal mistake and mentioned the O word. As soon as Gary (you'll figure it out) hears he will come on this thread and spank you. Really, you will find some top notch help and knowledge here. JR

Yikes, I'll put up a Gary Alert. I'd hate to aggravate a senior member. Maybe I'll just tell him that I mix synthetic AND bean AND dinosaur-based "O" word in my gas can, to cover all the bases?

I can tell I've screwed the pooch here. Rats.

I've been reading the thread about FOPs and rakers and cutting angles. Toss in a healthy set of CAs and CSMs and I realize I am fully acronym challenged.

So does anyone else here use left-over engine "O" word for their bar lube?

(running and hiding and watching for Gary)

Back